Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Granted DL has had a fair amount of time to figure this out...I still find myself feeling that DL is falling somewhat victim to the disaster that is PHL.

Face it, the airport is a mess and is beholden to US and to a lesser extent WN. US is jockeying for int'l gates in A-East and WN is jockeying for as many gates in E and D as they can muster. DL, with fewer pax than US and WN is somewhat caught in the middle here.

I can't imaging that any solution here is going to be acceptable to everyone. PHL is a dump and DL is likely trying to make lemons out of lemonade.

Agree that having to use another club (with a cash bar sucks ) but as long as it's temporary I guess we'll just have to suck it up in the hopes that the final result will be a great Sky Club (a la MIA).

Again, not everything about the merger is going to be perfect. We need to take a collective deep breath. With people trying to blow up their planes my guess is a lounge is not priority #1.
I agree with all your posts save one. I don't want to turn this into a security discussion - it needs to remain focussed on the horrible PHL situation. Keep in mind though that, since 2000, only one Delta flight has been the unsuccessful target of a hostile act. Obviously, the impact of what's going on in PHL is much greater to Delta's customers than attacks against commercial airliners. I'd suggest that Delta allocate resources accordingly.

I also continue to believe that the amount of attention paid to the issue by Delta will be directly proportional to the amount of customer feedback Delta receives. If we just "suck it up", Delta will hear a deafening silence from their customers and take whatever the City of Philadelphia throws at them. "Suck it up" will become a euphemism for "enjoy the ambiance and quiet, cosmopolitan atmosphere of Terminal D/E and the lack of any pesky, interfering Delta staff who may otherwise disturb you by tampering with any travel irregularities you may have."

Last edited by jimrpa; Dec 30, 2009 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Agreed - I already replied with a basic "PHL won't keep your timeline" message.

I urge anyone reading this thread to take the advice in my signature line.
I have sent my letter.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:13 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have sent my letter.
Same here. This is really disappointing, but not surprising.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:31 pm
BHB

Looks like we're getting access to the US Airways clubs at PHL in the interim

Hot off the presses. I just received the following from DL in response to my complaint e-mail:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX,

As you are aware, we will be moving our operation in Philadelphia on January 19. Due to this transition, the Delta Sky Club in Terminal A East will close on January 19th. However, Delta Sky Club members carrying a current membership card and photo ID may access US Airways Clubs until our new location opens in the spring. The US Airways Clubs are located between concourses B and C, and on concourse F.

Regarding the construction of the new Club: we have submitted the 80% architectural drawings and are now awaiting the remaining 20%, which we expect in the next few weeks. Once those are submitted and approved, we will begin scheduling the construction schedule.

We look forward to continuing to see you in our Delta Sky Clubs and appreciate you flying with us!

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Product Manager - Customer Lounges

Customer Experience Planning & Development
So, 1) we can now access US clubs (B&C club will be the closest one), and 2) a new SC won't be ready in PHL until "the spring", whatever that means.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:51 pm
BHB

BTW, NWA.com now has the combined carrier going to E, rather than D, on the same 1/19 date that I got from the Sky Club people.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by BHB
However, Delta Sky Club members carrying a current membership card and photo ID may access US Airways Clubs until our new location opens in the spring. The US Airways Clubs are located between concourses B and C, and on concourse F.
Good info. I use my Amex Reserve Card to access Sky Clubs. I wonder if this will work?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:25 pm
BHB

Originally Posted by happydad100
Good info. I use my Amex Reserve Card to access Sky Clubs. I wonder if this will work?
No idea.

A bit more info, in response to a follow-up about wifi, customer service in the clubs, and free booze:
Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

We will not have Delta representation within the Club. This will be a purely US Airways experience within the Club and our Club members will be granted access to their Club. Our intent is that all the regular benefits and amenities of the Club will be available to you, which includes complimentary WiFi, beer and wine, snacks, and other non-alcoholic beverages, but we are still finalizing those details and our contract. Once I receive a final contract, I can confirm those details. Unfortunately, US Airways Club does not offer complimentary alcohol.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Product Manager - Customer Lounges

Customer Experience Planning & Development
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHB
BTW, NWA.com now has the combined carrier going to E, rather than D, on the same 1/19 date that I got from the Sky Club people.
Ticketing counter goes to E, gates go to D, which shares a common security entrance with E.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:53 pm
BHB

Ticketing counter goes to E, gates go to D, which shares a common security entrance with E.
That is the worst of all worlds. Here's hoping and praying that they keep the elite security line.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHB
"Regarding the construction of the new Club: we have submitted the 80% architectural drawings and are now awaiting the remaining 20%, which we expect in the next few weeks. Once those are submitted and approved, we will begin scheduling the construction schedule."
DL has been reporting this 80% design complete status for nearly a month now... so there appears to have been no progress in that respect over that period.

Originally Posted by BHB
"We will not have Delta representation within the Club. This will be a purely US Airways experience... "
This has been my greatest fear... lack of access to the capable assistance from the SkyClub staff. Their help during IRROPs has been invaluable.

The new club, and the return of the kind, capable staff, cannot come soon enough.

Unfortunately, the hint of having a new club available by "in the spring" may prove to be a pipe dream. Although, since spring of what year is not specified, I guess DL cannot be proven wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHB
That is the worst of all worlds. Here's hoping and praying that they keep the elite security line.
It has been reported here that E has an elite line.

I normally enter in A, to access the SkyClub, so I cannot vouchsafe this.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another thought... in moving from A to D, the SkyClub will be moving back inside the Phila city limits.

Hopefully, there will be no hassle with getting liquor licenses... not like at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-sky-club.html

The old, old Crown Room in E was in the city, so hopefully there will be no problems.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:30 pm
BHB

It has been reported here that E has an elite line.

I normally enter in A, to access the SkyClub, so I cannot vouchsafe this.
The combined D_E security checkpoint _does_ have an elite line. My point is only that I hope that they keep it, and not give in to the pressure from WN which would have airports do away with such high-falutin' things.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by BHB
The combined D_E security checkpoint _does_ have an elite line. My point is only that I hope that they keep it, and not give in to the pressure from WN which would have airports do away with such high-falutin' things.
One point of reference is the Southwest Airlines terminal/security entrance at BWI. It has an elite line, which it uses for its Business Select and rapid rewards elite customers... That leads me to believe that Southwest wouldn't try to get the elite line at PHL closed.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:36 pm
BHB

Originally Posted by chrisny2
One point of reference is the Southwest Airlines terminal/security entrance at BWI. It has an elite line, which it uses for its Business Select and rapid rewards elite customers... That leads me to believe that Southwest wouldn't try to get the elite line at PHL closed.
The one at D/E is multi-airline (including WN), so here's hoping that you are right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.