Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:52 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Nothing Delta-specific but the Mayor of the City of Philadelphia and his close pals from Southwest were on KYW, crowing about the successful completion of the renovations of terminal E, and the incredible improvements it's made for Southwest and their passengers. If you listened to the Mayor and Southwest, there's only one carrier in PHL, Southwest. Oh, and they're proud to celebrate the completion of Terminal E by launching new service to Boston from $59.

Since they've made such a big deal of announcing that all renovations at PHL are complete, I guess we're seeing the answer to "will there be a new SkyCub in PHL?"
I wouldn't read too much into his comments. He's not going to talk up Delta in an interview about WN; of course he didn't mention a SKyClub. My thought is that we're still going to get it, it's just going to take a while (like RDU).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My sources also are very silent about this and dont even mention about any extance of SC plans, permits etc. As for the mayor praising SW, it sure beats hearing about the great things US has brought to PHL for so many years <cough cough>

MisterNice
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BHB
I wouldn't read too much into his comments. He's not going to talk up Delta in an interview about WN; of course he didn't mention a SKyClub. My thought is that we're still going to get it, it's just going to take a while (like RDU).
You miss the point - the interview was about the completion of the Terminal E renovations. Since Southwest is the primary tenant of Terminal E, it makes perfect sense that they are a significant part of the interview. Since the interview was to celebrate the "completion" of the renovations AND Delta has (per multiple sources) "gone silent" on the rumored new SkyClub (which, last I heard, was supposedly in "fall, 2010"), one can safely add "Terminal E renovations complete" to "no SkyClub" to get the answer "there will not be a new SkyClub". This math makes perfect sense when dealing with PHL and the city of Philadelphia.

The US Airways lounge arrangement will be gone by fall, except for departing BE pax on the CDG flight.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:19 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
You miss the point - the interview was about the completion of the Terminal E renovations. Since Southwest is the primary tenant of Terminal E, it makes perfect sense that they are a significant part of the interview. Since the interview was to celebrate the "completion" of the renovations AND Delta has (per multiple sources) "gone silent" on the rumored new SkyClub (which, last I heard, was supposedly in "fall, 2010"), one can safely add "Terminal E renovations complete" to "no SkyClub" to get the answer "there will not be a new SkyClub". This math makes perfect sense when dealing with PHL and the city of Philadelphia.

The US Airways lounge arrangement will be gone by fall, except for departing BE pax on the CDG flight.

First, I doubt that our Mayor was being that subtle with his word choice. 2) with DL's flight operations in D, I don't think Nutter's comments foreclose anything.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I hope you are wrong, but...

Latest "info" from airport personnel... new club will be December, at the earliest.

Construction has not begun... in fact they are still out for bids for a contractor.

"Fall 2010" is looking grim.

Admittedly, the above "info" is second-hand... in fact, DL management is not telling PHL DL staff much more than they are telling us.

Terrible way to treat both employees and paying customers.

Hey, DL Management... if you don't want us working from 2nd and 3rd-hand scuttlebutt, you have control over the alternative... give us some reliable information from time-to-time to work with. So far, you haven't even responded to the simple question "Would you commit to providing us regular updates, at a reasonable frequency, on the progress of the project?"

Generally, it has been my experience that, when someone won't give you information that you are reasonably entitled to, it's because the information is not good news.

You can keep us working from, and posting from, potential misinformation... or you can keep us up to date.

As a paying SkyClub member, I feel we deserve more information than you are providing.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
....and in the meantime, how about ensuring that the first class/priority line stays open, especially when the line for the D/E security literally stretches back to the escalators on both sides. This was the case last Sunday. It took me nearly 50 minutes to get through security, which I mistakenly had not planned for.

When I asked the wonderful customer first contract personnel as to why the priority line wasn't open, I was told "Because I said so". Fantastic. Guess I need to get to the airport at 3pm today for my 6:55pm flight. Would be nice to kill that extra time at the SC!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by natas43
....and in the meantime, how about ensuring that the first class/priority line stays open, especially when the line for the D/E security literally stretches back to the escalators on both sides. This was the case last Sunday. It took me nearly 50 minutes to get through security, which I mistakenly had not planned for.

When I asked the wonderful customer first contract personnel as to why the priority line wasn't open, I was told "Because I said so". Fantastic. Guess I need to get to the airport at 3pm today for my 6:55pm flight. Would be nice to kill that extra time at the SC!
I know it's added hassle, but the elite line in A seemed to be open always. Not sure if DL elites are still recognized there, though.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by natas43

What crap. I would write a complaint to DL and to the airport manager.

Dave
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I may press my luck at the C security today. I'll flash my Delta card at the priority line and if they question it, I'll tell them that I am headed into the US club at B/C.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today's update from PHL staff

1) The new club will be right at the entrance to D concourse (henceforth, to be termed "Never Never Land" )

2) Construction has not started

3) The reason for 2) is that the PHL city government is jerking DL management around on the approvals

4) Completion of the club is likely to extend into 2011.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:09 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
1) The new club will be right at the entrance to D concourse (henceforth, to be termed "Never Never Land" )

3) The reason for 2) is that the PHL city government is jerking DL management around on the approvals

I certainly hope that SkyCLub Members will be able to continue to use the US AIRWYS until the new Sky Club is completed.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I certainly hope that SkyCLub Members will be able to continue to use the US AIRWYS until the new Sky Club is completed.
That depends upon:

1) How long Mayor Nutter can string DL management along

2) Whether DL management ever finds the gonads to stand up to the city machine

3) How soon USAir loses patience
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

LOL!

I'm sorry - I'm not laughing at you, StayingHomeIsBetter. Rather, I'm laughing at the situation.

Please realize that the new club is actually completed! It's right there, in front of you, just as described. It's Delta's new PHL club which offers PHL-specific amenities that Delta's careful market research have determined that the City of Philadelphia and SouthWorst demand in any club. Some of these class-leading amenities include:
  • Removal of food and drink from the club. This helps save on having to service lavs of departing flights. It also helps the City of Philadelphia reduce water consumption in their lavs. Finally, as an economic stimulus measure, it bolsters the Street economy.
  • Elimination of dedicated SkyClub staff. By reducing SkyClub staff, the City of Philadelphia is actually hoping to gain, by forcing Delta to hire more staff to man checkin counters. Additionally, with their new tax on non-SouthWorst airport checkin kiosks, Mayor Nutter is looking at the burgeoning travel market to magically solve the city's financial problems.
  • Elimination of dedicated SkyClub seating areas. The city realizes that it's residents are fat, sedentary slobs. By removing the seating areas, the City is contributing to public health by forcing Delta's passengers to stand and burn off some of those Pat's Steaks they've been wolfing down (extra WIZ please!)

By hte way, expect club access to end as soon as US Airways gets greedy enough to kill their golden goose in Delta.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
It's been a while since I've been down that way, but I think the old NW club is still sitting vacant in E Terminal. Why not just use that for the time being?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by PHLJJS
It's been a while since I've been down that way, but I think the old NW club is still sitting vacant in E Terminal. Why not just use that for the time being?
Probably because from all appearances the PHL airport doesn't really want DL to have a club. They bullied NW out of that club years ago just as they bullied DL into the current corner. That location is dead to us and PHL is very likely to end up as a no-club location for us unless DL finds a backbone and puts up a major fight. Given the current situation where they have already given up so much ground they would have to really put some resources into such a fight so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.