Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

DL personnel have indicated that the move from terminal A gates to terminal D gates will come in mid-January.

However, the new Sky Club is not expected to be ready for occupancy until 3 or 4 months later.

Please do as I have done and e-mail DL expressing that this is not acceptable. There needs to be some interim solution to provide continued service during this period.

It would seem that reopening, on an interim basis, the still existent NWA club facilities in terminal E (a reasonable walk from D) would be a consideration.

For DL to not do something, should not be an option.

If DL has some information, like a better definition of the schedule and their plans to provide continuing service to paid Sky Club members... this would be a good time to share the information.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:57 am
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
DL personnel have indicated that the move from terminal A gates to terminal D gates will come in mid-January.

However, the new Sky Club is not expected to be ready for occupancy until 3 or 4 months later.

Please do as I have done and e-mail DL expressing that this is not acceptable. There needs to be some interim solution to provide continued service during this period.

It would seem that reopening, on an interim basis, the still existent NWA club facilities in terminal E (a reasonable walk from D) would be a consideration.

For DL to not do something, should not be an option.

If DL has some information, like a better definition of the schedule and their plans to provide continuing service to paid Sky Club members... this would be a good time to share the information.
The SkyClub folks are not sure when/if the move is happening, and least the woman I spoke with last week was. I think the move to D is a done deal. Where are they going to put a SkyClub, though?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I understand the frustration, but at least you will have one in a few months. From what I have been told, RDU has been SC-less for almost a year now (part of that having to do with the move from the A gates to the C gates).

Altho, I wonder if they are 100% going to move into D. According to widgetheads.net, it says they will be moving NW from E to A.

zz
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:59 am

From Delta's point of view, the longer the delay in opening the new club, the more money they will save. I've read in previous posts that the lounge will be in the old USO lounge space which is just to the right before walking down into the D concourse. Thankfully, I still have a lifetime United Red Carpet Club membership, located just off the D concourse. The only missing amity is free booze, which is not missed on normally early AM departures!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
From Delta's point of view, the longer the delay in opening the new club, the more money they will save. I've read in previous posts that the lounge will be in the old USO lounge space which is just to the right before walking down into the D concourse. Thankfully, I still have a lifetime United Red Carpet Club membership, located just off the D concourse. The only missing amity is free booze, which is not missed on normally early AM departures!
According to Delta's latest information on airport mergers
"NWA moves from Terminal E to Delta location in Terminal A Estimated 1/18/10" - this would mean no change in SC and easier connections from AF / the CDG flight if DL ever does take it over.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
OP, Yes, I just e-mailed Delta on this issue in PHL. We need a SC in this city!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The variety of information circulating on this topic is interesting.

Within that last week, I have been told that it was definitely D, that the move would be in mid-January, that construction on the new club had not yet begun, and that the new club would be bigger than the existing club in A.

Perhaps DL is no better at keeping its staff informed than it is at keeping the paying Sky Club members informed.

Come on DL... you admit to monitoring this forum.

Do we deserve some straight information, or not?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:31 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I also have heard that the move from A to D would take place in January but that the city of Philadelphia was not being very cooperative. They are apparently already working on the gates, etc but NOT a new SkyClub. I heard from one of the Sky Club Agents that they may work out something with another airline's club since Delta is now having direct service from PHL to CDG. As an international departure city, this could be a HUGE issue for Delta. In addition, PHL is a medallion heavy business traveler destination and many of us depend on the Sky CLub to get some work done and/or be reaccommodated quickly in case of flight delays/cancellations.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

-- snip ---
Moving to D will be closer to those of us who fly NW metal to PHL, but bringing back the old WC would be even better.

Most of the time I travel out of PHL, I don't have the time to even think about going to the SC and then when I do go there, I wonder why did I bother.

Bob H
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
Moving to D will be closer to those of us who fly NW metal to PHL, but bringing back the old WC would be even better..... Bob H
The "word" included NW also moving to D.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I also have heard that the move from A to D would take place in January but that the city of Philadelphia was not being very cooperative.
Philadelphia should be bending over backwards to cooperate. The move brings more DL employees back into the city wage tax base. (Terminal A is outside the city, Terminal D is inside.)

Now... if you substituted "competent" for "cooperative" in your statement, then I would understand.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
From Delta's point of view, the longer the delay in opening the new club
That's utter nonsense.

As far as I know, DL isn't paying a dime to construct the new lounge. This is a City of Philadelphia issue.

My last trip was last week... a GA told me the delay to January was because of the delayed SC construction, and they they would not be moving until the lounge is complete.

We can send all the emails to DL we want, but we'd be preaching to the choir. DL doesn't have any interest in moving without a completed lounge, even if it means DL and NW operations will continue to be separate in the meantime. (In fact, PHL may be the last station to combine operations.)
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
We can send all the emails to DL we want, but we'd be preaching to the choir. DL doesn't have any interest in moving without a completed lounge, even if it means DL and NW operations will continue to be separate in the meantime. (In fact, PHL may be the last station to combine operations.)
Good, thanks for clearing that up... so I can just ignore the e-mail that I received from DL corporate confirming that there would be a period after the move when there will not be a club in PHL?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Good, thanks for clearing that up... so I can just ignore the e-mail that I received from DL corporate confirming that there would be a period after the move when there will not be a club in PHL?
Well, I didn't say it wasn't going to happen. I was responding to a poster who made the fairly asinine claim that DL wants to delay the lounge construction for cost-saving reasons.

In a Medallion-heavy market (and with the forthcoming CDG flight) I can assure you they have no interest in moving without a lounge.. Whether they have a choice... that's a different question. Your emails won't have any effect.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
First, I sincerely hope the rumors about former Northwest moving to A, rather than Delta "consolidating" operations in the SouthWorst slum called D/E are true!

Second, for those counting on the City of Philadelphia to move quickly on anything (especially anything that requires expenditure of money) right now - forget about it! Take a look at the budget issues the city faces, and you'll see that building a new SkyClub for Delta just doesn't fit into the picture.

If Delta does move, you can expect that Delta will negotiate lounge access only for BusinessElite passengers traveling on a same-day ticket on the CDG flight. The rest of us will get to experience the ambiance that SouthWorst, in concert with the City of Philadelphia, have worked so hard to create.

I'm just happy that the date keeps getting pushed father into the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.