Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Got this when I emailed the skyclub office:

I have not read Flyer Talk lately (unfortunately), but we are working on the plans for the new Club in Philadelphia. We have submitted the 80% architectural drawings and are now awaiting the remaining 20%, which we expect in mid-January. Once those are submitted and approved, we will begin scheduling the construction schedule.

We are also talking to another lounge in Philadelphia, hoping to work out a temporary contract with them, so that they will accept our Club members for the time we are without a Club of our own. We have not reached an agreement yet, but we are hopeful that we will have something definitive soon.

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!

xxxxx
Product Manager - Customer Lounges
Customer Experience Planning & Development
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Got this when I emailed the skyclub office:

I have not read Flyer Talk lately (unfortunately), but we are working on the plans for the new Club in Philadelphia. We have submitted the 80% architectural drawings and are now awaiting the remaining 20%, which we expect in mid-January. Once those are submitted and approved, we will begin scheduling the construction schedule.

We are also talking to another lounge in Philadelphia, hoping to work out a temporary contract with them, so that they will accept our Club members for the time we are without a Club of our own. We have not reached an agreement yet, but we are hopeful that we will have something definitive soon.

Take care and have a wonderful holiday!

xxxxx
20% of design remains to be done and DL expects (hopes?) to have the final design about the same time that the move to D will have been completed.

Then... they have to get the plans approved by the city of Philadelphia.

Then... they have to get the club built and outfitted.

Best guess... the 4 to 6 month delay (after the move) in having a club ready is probably a pipe dream.

We won't see a new club (if at all) before next Thanksgiving.

DL management ineptitude.

Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
It's a 15 minute walk (max) for me from DL SC to NWA E gates... with a bad hip.

USAir club is between B & C. New DL gates will be in D. See response above.

I can't imagine a fit person taking 15 minutes from B/C to D.

It's not the solution I would prefer, but it's a workable solution.
And we can all enjoy the $1 Bud Lite / Budweiser /Merlot/Chard at the US Club.....
Old Dec 17, 2009, 8:37 pm

The reasonable close existing club is United's Red Carpet Club located between C & D. However, it is rather small and would probably not accommodate the combined membership. PS It has a cash bar.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Best guess... the 4 to 6 month delay (after the move) in having a club ready is probably a pipe dream.

We won't see a new club (if at all) before next Thanksgiving.

DL management ineptitude.

Agreed - I already replied with a basic "PHL won't keep your timeline" message.

I urge anyone reading this thread to take the advice in my signature line.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
And we can all enjoy the $1 Bud Lite / Budweiser /Merlot/Chard at the US Club.....
At a $! or $2 it comes close to a bargain but higher than free. The prices at a Red Carpet Club are closer to $4 or $5 or $6 as I remember.

MisterNice
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by MisterNice
At a $! or $2 it comes close to a bargain but higher than free. The prices at a Red Carpet Club are closer to $4 or $5 or $6 as I remember.

MisterNice
True... I was at the DL SC in PHL tonight and the lady told me that the move is set for Jan. 17 and she said that the SC would be open aobut 4 months after....I don't see that happening...
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE
The reasonable close existing club is United's Red Carpet Club located between C & D. However, it is rather small and would probably not accommodate the combined membership. PS It has a cash bar.

Especially now that they will also be accepting CO fliers
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Response to My e-Mail to Delta re PHL SkyClub and General "Relocation" Issues

So, I wrote an admittedly snarky note to Delta at Delta Sky Club complaining about the rumored move at PHL and the loss of a SkyClub (since, if Delta leaves A without a physical club ALREADY IN PLACE, let's face it - there will never be a SkyClub in PHL again). Here's the responce I received:
Originally Posted by Product Manager - Customer Lounges, Customer Experience Planning & Development
Dear Jimrpa,
Thank you for your detailed comments. I will share them with our Delta Sky Club Leadership as well as with our Corporate Real Estate Team.

Happy holidays to you and your family and thank you for flying with us.

xxx xxx
Note that there was no confirmation that ANYTHING is or is not happening in PHL.

I would suggest that anyone who is based in, travels to, or travels through (?) PHL begin deluging Delta Sky Club with very specific, detailed emails, stating clearly the concerns with the proposed move and closure of the SkyClub and the negative impact it will have on Delta's customers. It's really time for Delta to realize they're a real airline now, grow up, and play hard with PHL. For example, flight operations at PHL are delicate, at best, where a butterfly in Lancaster County can bring PHL to near-closure if it fluters its wings the wrong way. Delta could simply point out to the city of PHL that, given the heightened security environment AND the fact that the most recent attempt was against a Delta aircraft, Delta will have to simply be even more vigilant about following EVERY FAA, TSA, and anyone else's, security and operational procedures to the letter, especially now that they're bringing international service to PHL, and they're REALLY SORRY if that causes delays or disruptions around the airport, but that's the price the city must be prepared to pay to ensure the safety of the city and the flying public. Of course, those operational issues could probably be mitigated if the city were to allow Delta access to proper facilities for operations of the WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINES. Little things, such as operations into and out of a terminal that can handle international flights and world-class lounges to offer appropriate amenities to powerful economic leaders who may be traveling through the region as well as providing additional facilities for customer service.

It's not really rocket science to make a powerful and compelling argument.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by jimrpa
So, I wrote an admittedly snarky note to Delta at Delta Sky Club complaining about the rumored move at PHL and the loss of a SkyClub (since, if Delta leaves A without a physical club ALREADY IN PLACE, let's face it - there will never be a SkyClub in PHL again). Here's the responce I received:

Note that there was no confirmation that ANYTHING is or is not happening in PHL.

I would suggest that anyone who is based in, travels to, or travels through (?) PHL begin deluging Delta Sky Club with very specific, detailed emails, stating clearly the concerns with the proposed move and closure of the SkyClub and the negative impact it will have on Delta's customers. It's really time for Delta to realize they're a real airline now, grow up, and play hard with PHL. For example, flight operations at PHL are delicate, at best, where a butterfly in Lancaster County can bring PHL to near-closure if it fluters its wings the wrong way. Delta could simply point out to the city of PHL that, given the heightened security environment AND the fact that the most recent attempt was against a Delta aircraft, Delta will have to simply be even more vigilant about following EVERY FAA, TSA, and anyone else's, security and operational procedures to the letter, especially now that they're bringing international service to PHL, and they're REALLY SORRY if that causes delays or disruptions around the airport, but that's the price the city must be prepared to pay to ensure the safety of the city and the flying public. Of course, those operational issues could probably be mitigated if the city were to allow Delta access to proper facilities for operations of the WORLD'S LARGEST AIRLINES. Little things, such as operations into and out of a terminal that can handle international flights and world-class lounges to offer appropriate amenities to powerful economic leaders who may be traveling through the region as well as providing additional facilities for customer service.

It's not really rocket science to make a powerful and compelling argument.
It's also not rocket science to realize that in the overall context of running the worlds largest airline, PHL is not going to be a big issue that DL will focus on.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by grahampros
It's also not rocket science to realize that in the overall context of running the worlds largest airline, PHL is not going to be a big issue that DL will focus on.
Actually, PHL appears to be a fairly lucrative market for DL. There are a LOT of pharmaceuticals and a fair number of high-tech companies in the area (I work for one of the companies that claims to be a "high-tech" company ) For example, I would submit that Delta isn't maintaining direct service between PHL and CDG (as opposed to routing pax through ATL or BOS or something) simply due to nostalgia over France's role in the American Revolution Further, recall that Norhtwest offered direct service between PHL and AMS. I suspect that Delta believes there is some value in the PHL market.

I'm simply suggesting that we try to apply the maxim "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" here.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Granted DL has had a fair amount of time to figure this out...I still find myself feeling that DL is falling somewhat victim to the disaster that is PHL.

Face it, the airport is a mess and is beholden to US and to a lesser extent WN. US is jockeying for int'l gates in A-East and WN is jockeying for as many gates in E and D as they can muster. DL, with fewer pax than US and WN is somewhat caught in the middle here.

I can't imaging that any solution here is going to be acceptable to everyone. PHL is a dump and DL is likely trying to make lemons out of lemonade.

Agree that having to use another club (with a cash bar sucks ) but as long as it's temporary I guess we'll just have to suck it up in the hopes that the final result will be a great Sky Club (a la MIA).

Again, not everything about the merger is going to be perfect. We need to take a collective deep breath. With people trying to blow up their planes my guess is a lounge is not priority #1.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I heard from a couple of sources DL is the third largest carrier out of PHL but they really are dropping the SC ball big-time. They have had months-n-months to do something........or announce something.............. regarding building a new SC, getting temp access to anothers existing lounge or even saying DL dont care. Anyone have a phone number to the DL SC people or PM me the PHL SK tele number. My nice CO P-Club entry deal ends soon and I (and 2 others) are deciding to join SC or not join SC. Right now until 1-1-10 if one joins the SK they will waive the $50 init charge (if you belong to the PC) and give 2 mo extra extension. Not a nice deal if they dont have a SC in PHL for 6 months or forever.

MisterNice

Last edited by MisterNice; Dec 30, 2009 at 8:00 am
Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Again, not everything about the merger is going to be perfect.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

We may have a winner.

Only two days left to submit entries, otherwise this is the understatement of the year.

With people trying to blow up their planes my guess is a lounge is not priority #1.
I doubt the folks making SK-related decisions are the same ones making security-related decisions.

You are just providing cover for months of inept non-planning on the part of DL management. It is a gracious gesture on your part during this holiday season...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Agree that having to use another club (with a cash bar sucks ) but as long as it's temporary I guess we'll just have to suck it up in the hopes that the final result will be a great Sky Club (a la MIA).
When I walk into the PHL SK at 7:00 AM (as I often do) I am far less likely to need the bar than I am to need the kind, competent assistance of a SK staff member, seated in front of a real DL computer terminal, to help extricate me from whatever operational foul-up DL has presented me that day.

I have had numerous situations where the SK staff could quickly do what I would have had to wait in line to do at the ticket counter, or would likely have had to make multiple calls to SMS to accomplish.

That, I submit, will be the biggest loss that we will experience... even if DL manages to convince some other airline to (no doubt, disdainfully) allow us admission to their club... if DL even pulls that off.

Personally, I anticipate that we will be wandering in the wilderness for more than 6 months... IF we ever see another club in PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.