Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Terminal A is a dump and D is even worse (though the new D/E retail concourse makes things a little better). Come to think of it, the whole of PHL, save A-West, is a dump. Not overly thrilled with the SC at PHL either...somewhat uninspired.

I thought the whole purpose of moving DL/NW out of E was to allow WN to consolidate operations in E...wasn't it? If this is the case the joy that is SouthWorst will be isolated away from the rest of us.

Another question I have about the move is the logistics of deplaning the CDG flight in terminal A (only terminal with customs) and then either towing the plane over to D or simply operating this single flight out of the international concourse. Any intel on this?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Terminal A is a dump and D is even worse (though the new D/E retail concourse makes things a little better). Come to think of it, the whole of PHL, save A-West, is a dump. Not overly thrilled with the SC at PHL either...somewhat uninspired.

I thought the whole purpose of moving DL/NW out of E was to allow WN to consolidate operations in E...wasn't it? If this is the case the joy that is SouthWorst will be isolated away from the rest of us.

Another question I have about the move is the logistics of deplaning the CDG flight in terminal A (only terminal with customs) and then either towing the plane over to D or simply operating this single flight out of the international concourse. Any intel on this?
There is one thing I like about the E -- when I go to PHL, I always take the R1 to Center City and it ends/starts its run at the E concourse, so you can get your luggage stowed on it before it starts moving.

Bob H
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have also heard that the old CRC room, at the entrance to E-concourse, is still empty. I believe this bit of real estate is now inside of security.

A little reliable information from DL would really be nice right now.
Maybe DL doesn't have reliable information to share. I'd suggest you cool your jets and realize you're not entitled to know everything about the inner workings of the airline.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:07 pm

I have also heard that the old CRC room, at the entrance to E-concourse, is still empty. I believe this bit of real estate is now inside of security.

A little reliable information from DL would really be nice right now.
When I talked to the SC club attendant she said the same as reported. No club on move day, a few months later. But as always at the lower end of the chain they don't know a lot.

I peeked into the NW club in E and its empty except for boxes and stuff that could be moved. Wrong terminal but at least D and E share the new updated/larger/poorly run security area. I doubt its a viable alternative and probably not in the plan.

The UA club is on the right side of security and in the area of D. And of course there's Dunkin Donuts. Just get me a membership to the bagel/coffee club there and I'd be happy.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Same thing they used to do when Delta was last in the "low-rent district". Arrive at A, then drag the plane over to the slums.

Note that this is another hope that the move won't occur. It's highly unlikely that Delta will want to offer an international service without some kind of departure lounge for premium passengers. I know I'd be mighty annoyed if I paid several thousand dollars for a business class ticket, only to stand around waiting for SouthWest passengers to figure out that they can't take the 5-quart super-jumbo drink they got at Wawa through security, only to discover that the only food and beverage available to them are some off-brand, overpriced coffee stand and Burger King.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:46 am

DL Moving to E at PHL???

DL website says:
* Currently
o NWA departs from Terminal E
o Delta departs from Terminal A
* Estimated in January 2010
o Delta moves to NWA location in Terminal E, change to Delta name.
Estimated 1/18/2010

This is hard to believe. If memory serves me correctly, NW only has 3 gates on E and Southwest is using the old Delta E gates.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
DL website says:
* Currently
Estimated 1/18/2010

This is hard to believe. If memory serves me correctly, NW only has 3 gates on E and Southwest is using the old Delta E gates.
Staff in the Crown Room last week were still talking about a move to D.

I suspect, though, that employees may get less info than we get.

Current scuttlebutt is to expect a period of at least 4 months without a club in PHL.

I had a chance recently, after DL/NWA screwed up my travel, to wander down D concourse (D as in dreary, dank, dark, dingy, dirty... among the best that the Phila city government can provide). There is no new club construction going on yet.

Remember all of the BS posted here after the DL RWT DO about how much DL management cares... and how it monitors the FT forum?

If DL management monitors so closely, and cares so much, why do they let speculative threads such as this one go on for months without providing some concrete response?

"Bueller? ... Bueller?"
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DL website says:
* Currently
Estimated 1/18/2010

When I showed this info to the CRC staff (from here: http://www.nwa.com/merger/airports/) it was their belief that the line "Delta moves to NWA location in Terminal E, change to Delta name" referred only to the ticket counter move. DL/NWA will use the old NWA ticket counter in E, but the gates will be in D.

I'll have to look at the logistics of that bit of careful planing next time I go thru the airport (I usually go through TSA at A, spend some time in the CRC, then walk to my ATL-avoiding NWA flight in E... so a walk from E to D does not intimidate me... as long as there is a CRC awaiting me at the end of the walk.)

By the way, it is rumored that PHL will be the last DL site anywhere to be integrated.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:38 am

I'll have to look at the logistics of that bit of careful planing next time I go thru the airport (I usually go through TSA at A, spend some time in the CRC, then walk to my ATL-avoiding NWA flight in E... so a walk from E to D does not intimidate me... as long as there is a CRC awaiting me at the end of the walk.)
D and E share security so you are starting from the same point anyway. Turn left for E turn right for D. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. Unfortunately that also means its a lot of people (not mentioning an airline name but...) who don't understand airport security (I've got 4 bottles of hairspray, this 2liter jug of coke, and my weedwacker, you just want me to put that in the tray for the x-ray?)
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
When I showed this info to the CRC staff (from here: http://www.nwa.com/merger/airports/) it was their belief that the line "Delta moves to NWA location in Terminal E, change to Delta name" referred only to the ticket counter move. DL/NWA will use the old NWA ticket counter in E, but the gates will be in D.

By the way, it is rumored that PHL will be the last DL site anywhere to be integrated.
I think the confusion has to do with the fact that D/E is now one physical check-in facility... that new glass building bridges both concourses with a common security checkpoint, and a new line of check-in desks. My guess is the website lacks the ability to make that clear.

The upside is that the new connector building is very nice, clean and new... with great new retail just through security. As for the state of concourse D, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you say... certainly a huge step up from concourse E, which rivals some of the most awful terminal facilities anywhere.

One place where we DO agree, however, is how pathetic it is that PHL will be the last station for integration. It speaks volumes about the state of bureaucracy at that airport, and it's really too bad for such a great town, with such rich history.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I think the confusion has to do with the fact that D/E is now one physical check-in facility... that new glass building bridges both concourses with a common security checkpoint, and a new line of check-in desks...
You are right... they did open that new checkpoint not so long ago.

Question though... when E was "serviced" by an E-only TSA checkpoint, WN managed to prevent there being any sort of elite access lane. Concourse A has an elite lane. Does the D/E checkpoint have a designated elite lane... or does TSA use that farcical "Expert Traveler" lane concept?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:49 am

Upon rereading the DL posting, I may have confused "terminal" with "concourse."

DL website says:
* Currently
Estimated 1/18/2010

If "Terminal E" actually means the recently combined D & E area and their gates will be on concourse D, it all makes sense.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:12 am

[QUOTE=StayingHomeIsBetter;12935555]............Question though... when E was "serviced" by an E-only TSA checkpoint, WN managed to prevent there being any sort of elite access lane. Concourse A has an elite lane. Does the D/E checkpoint have a designated elite lane......

Yes. As you start to enter security and have the choice to go right or left, the TSA agent will open the belt and let elites go straight ahead. Have never yet needed to test this.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
[QUOTE=KenfromDE;12935652]
............Question though... when E was "serviced" by an E-only TSA checkpoint, WN managed to prevent there being any sort of elite access lane. Concourse A has an elite lane. Does the D/E checkpoint have a designated elite lane......

Yes. As you start to enter security and have the choice to go right or left, the TSA agent will open the belt and let elites go straight ahead. Have never yet needed to test this.
Minor detail, but it's not a TSA agent, but an equally incompetent contractor.

And, yes, there is an elite line but it feeds into the regular line. Although, it's available to virtually any airline elite, including WN.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good.

Now all we have to do is solve the problem of having a lounge to go to after getting thru security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.