Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL terminal move at PHL and new Sky Club as a result [Now Open]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Got this in an email exchange with Skyclub: (names deleted)

The closing of the Philadelphia club will coincide with the move of our operation, which is tentatively scheduled for the third week of December, but is not yet final. The new club will be rebuilt in our new location. That is confirmed. We will have a club in Philadelphia.

Take care and thanks again for your business!

xxxx
xxx - Customer Lounges
Customer Experience Planning & Development

-----Original Message-----
]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 8:44 PM
To: Delta, DeltaSkyClub
Subject: Re: Plan for system loss with CO gone

Thank you for the reponse. I'm sorry to hear it sounds like things are somewhat indefinite but on the subject of PHL I'd like to ask:

1. When is the PHL club closing?
2. Is there committment to rebuild at the new location or is this a permanent club loss?

----- Original Message ----

Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009 4:17:02 PM
Subject: RE: Plan for system loss with CO gone

It's nice to hear from you again - and I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. We are looking at certain locations due to the loss of CO, but not all locations. Unfortunately, there will continue to be a gap due to the loss of Continental and our need to keep the clubs operating profitably, but we are looking.

In Philadelphia, we will be moving our operation and therefore be closing our club as the new facility is being constructed. We are in talks there to see if we can partner with another airline to accept our customers in that location. And we are exploring partnerships is certain other locations, but unfortunately nothing has been finalized.

I will continue to share your comments and suggestions with out team that is working on these plans and please know that we all appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share.

Thank you for your membership in the Club and for flying with us!

xxxxx
xxx - Customer Lounges
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Got this in an email exchange with Skyclub: (names deleted)

The closing of the Philadelphia club will coincide with the move of our operation, which is tentatively scheduled for the third week of December, but is not yet final. The new club will be rebuilt in our new location. That is confirmed. We will have a club in Philadelphia.

Take care and thanks again for your business!

xxxx
xxx - Customer Lounges

-----Original Message-----
]
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 8:44 PM
To: Delta, DeltaSkyClub
Subject: Re: Plan for system loss with CO gone

Thank you for the reponse. I'm sorry to hear it sounds like things are somewhat indefinite but on the subject of PHL I'd like to ask:

1. When is the PHL club closing?
2. Is there committment to rebuild at the new location or is this a permanent club loss?

----- Original Message ----

Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009 4:17:02 PM
Subject: RE: Plan for system loss with CO gone

It's nice to hear from you again - and I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. We are looking at certain locations due to the loss of CO, but not all locations. Unfortunately, there will continue to be a gap due to the loss of Continental and our need to keep the clubs operating profitably, but we are looking.

In Philadelphia, we will be moving our operation and therefore be closing our club as the new facility is being constructed. We are in talks there to see if we can partner with another airline to accept our customers in that location. And we are exploring partnerships is certain other locations, but unfortunately nothing has been finalized.

I will continue to share your comments and suggestions with out team that is working on these plans and please know that we all appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news to share.

Thank you for your membership in the Club and for flying with us!

xxxxx
xxx - Customer Lounges
I received similar response:

"... unfortunately the dates and timeline continue to be moving targets ... in discussions with another airline ... for them to accept our Club members while our new club is under construction... can’t guarantee anything."

Members and local staff continue to suggest that the old NWA club would be a good interim solution.

Latest rumor on gate move date (obtained today) is Mid-January.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:21 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
The commitment to a club in PHL is a good thing. What will happen to the club folks (who are great) until the new one is finished?!?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL
Is it absolutely necessary to have SC access?

No.

Yes it is a nice feature and you pay for it yearly, and you want to use it to the full advantadge. But not every airport has or ever will have one. Some airports don't have space, others dont have enough pax that will use it, so it won't be profitable.

Yes, you can try to send DL e-mails protesting it. They know obviously that PHL needs lounge space. It may or may not impact their decision as to when a new SC will appear in PHL.

FYI, wikipedia says the move is scehduled for January 28th.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone

Yes it is a nice feature and you pay for it yearly, and you want to use it to the full advantadge. But not every airport has or ever will have one. Some airports don't have space, others dont have enough pax that will use it, so it won't be profitable.

FYI, wikipedia says the move is scehduled for January 28th.
And Wikipedia is not only the be all, but also the end all of facts.

It's very nice to be able to have a FEW drinks before getting onboard and when you pay $350+/year to have access it is absolutely unpleasant to have those benefits removed.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
And Wikipedia is not only the be all, but also the end all of facts.

It's very nice to be able to have a FEW drinks before getting onboard and when you pay $350+/year to have access it is absolutely unpleasant to have those benefits removed.
True.

Remember not to have too many - it can get you IDB'd, as shown countless times on "Airline."
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
True.

Remember not to have too many - it can get you IDB'd, as shown countless times on "Airline."
Im sorry, but receiving alcohol advice from a 15 year old gave me a chuckle this afternoon.

The PHL was always nice and very convenient to the DL gates, but it will be nice to have a new club (hopefully a slightly larger one then that).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
The PHL was always nice and very convenient to the DL gates, but it will be nice to have a new club (hopefully a slightly larger one then that).
I have been told that the new club will be bigger than the current one.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
For those hoping for a SkyClub in PHL, keep the following in mind:
1. PHL is controlled by the city of Philadelphia
2. The government of the city of Philadelphia is notoriously corrupt. A former mayor was quoted in local media as saying "pay to play" was the normal way a city government should operate and he saw no problem with that.
3. SouthWest and USAir have done a great job of "paying to play" with the airport. Why do you think the NWA WorldClub sits empty 5 years later? (After SouthWest moved into Terminal E, they demanded that the city close the NorthWest WorldClub and turn it over to SouthWest for "office space") Why do you think Delta lost gate E1 back when they were in Terminal E? SouthWest needed the ground under THAT gate for their "circus tent". And, why do you think there are no longer First Class/Elite security lines?
4. The city is broke. They have no money. There's no way they'd go to the trouble and expense of building a club for Delta.

If Delta moves to another terminal and doesn't have a SkyClub on the day they move, you can expect that there will be no SkyClub for the foreseeable future. The date will keep moving to the right until the day that US Airways completes their hostile takeover of Delta.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:35 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by jimrpa
2. The government of the city of Philadelphia is notoriously corrupt. A former mayor was quoted in local media as saying "pay to play" was the normal way a city government should operate and he saw no problem with that.
3. SouthWest and USAir have done a great job of "paying to play" with the airport. Why do you think the NWA WorldClub sits empty 5 years later? (After SouthWest moved into Terminal E, they demanded that the city close the NorthWest WorldClub and turn it over to SouthWest for "office space") Why do you think Delta lost gate E1 back when they were in Terminal E? SouthWest needed the ground under THAT gate for their "circus tent". And, why do you think there are no longer First Class/Elite security lines?
4. The city is broke. They have no money. There's no way they'd go to the trouble and expense of building a club for Delta.

If Delta moves to another terminal and doesn't have a SkyClub on the day they move, you can expect that there will be no SkyClub for the foreseeable future. The date will keep moving to the right until the day that US Airways completes their hostile takeover of Delta.
I think that you hit the nail on the head and suspect that the WON'T be a new club. I certainly hope that you and I are wrong on this. As for the SC emoloyees, hey told me that they will go to the ticket counter.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks for confirming that the old NW WC at PHL has been closed for a long time. I was having a hard time imagining how it could possibly be used in the interim as I had assumed that it was effectively trashed a long time ago. It's been ages since I was last able to use the NW WC there.

In addition to the lounge issue, I anticipate that the move will cause long security lines (the Southwest effect aka the Useless Air effect), crowds near the counter, crowded concourses, restroom lines in the concourses, crowds around the baggage claim areas, etc. I know it's a done deal, but I fail to see the advantage of accepting space in the awful old D or E concourses in exchange for the nice new spacious A terminal which is (big plus) outside of the city limits. Consolidation of NW and DL space is nice, but at what cost for passengers? Will it even be better for the airline?

Does anyone remember the old Delta club at PHL, a small room at the far end of E? Usually the entry/sign-in was self-service as one lounge dragon handled the reception desk as well as food and beverages; at times, the lounge was totally unattended when the person took a break. Still, it was better than nothing and I joined in order to use it when TWA moved down there and lost their club. At that time, as I remember, DL, NW, TW, AA and/or UA, and someone else, perhaps Piedmont or Eastern, shared the far concourse while US had almost all of the remaining real estate (all of B and C and more) until AA expanded and moved into the new A where they had a nice new large club. (Sorry, ancient history.)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone remember the old Delta club at PHL, a small room at the far end of E? Usually the entry/sign-in was self-service as one lounge dragon handled the reception desk as well as food and beverages; at times, the lounge was totally unattended when the person took a break.
Sounds almost exactly like my visit to the SEA club (way) off-peak last weekend!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:48 am

Then I vote for new PHL government!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best opening date I heard was the new PHL Sky Club was early Apr 2010. Of course PHL is owned by Philly it is known as a "union town" and a lotta greedy palms need to be greased to get anything done on time and on budget. Also rumors DL is trying to get SK member temp admittance to the UA Red Carpet Club with the free wifi but the high priced booze. Better than nada I assume.

MisterNice
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have also heard that the old CRC room, at the entrance to E-concourse, is still empty. I believe this bit of real estate is now inside of security.

A little reliable information from DL would really be nice right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.