Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

Does this credit card provide rental car insurance in New Zealand?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
just another dp that they gave me 10k to keep the card for another year. They gave me 10k last year too, so they're not unwilling to do repeat business.

I like the card benefits, even if I often can't find ways to use up my gogo credits, and the PP is duplicative of other cards I carry. And I like the 3x using my phone together with 1.5 cents per point. So they might not need to give me a great reason to keep. With 10k it's a money maker and a no-brainer.

Last edited by UsernameChuck; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:44 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by michael_v
Does this credit card provide rental car insurance in New Zealand?
Yes, countries not covered are Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Question about points - are they shown immediately once transaction is posted/cleared or are they awarded once statement for the month is generated?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Question about points - are they shown immediately once transaction is posted/cleared or are they awarded once statement for the month is generated?
once monthly and there’s no view by transaction for points either. It only lists how many points you earned in each category
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

once monthly and there’s no view by transaction for points either. It only lists how many points you earned in each category
Shadowfactor is right. It's not straight forward and you have to do the math when the statement comes. I keep it easy by only using my card in situations that generate the bonus; mobile wallet or travel. On the travel side I also make sure that it's a no doubt travel vendor (99% of the time my travel spend is on car rentals b/c of the primary insurance). Therefore, when my statement comes I just make sure that total points earned = Spend x 3 so it's easy.
akr1970akr and milesforhire like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:16 am

Guess, I have to wait then.
And do I understand correctly that car rental goes under travel category earning 3 points per $?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:42 am

Guess, I have to wait then.
And do I understand correctly that car rental goes under travel category earning 3 points per $?
Yes, car rentals is one of the examples listed in the benefits under travel:

Travel:
  • Earn 3X points per $1 for eligible net travel purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

You can view by transaction now. When you click on details of each transactions you will such useful info as merchant category and whether digital wallet was used, for example:

Last edited by yugi; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yugi
You can view by transaction now. When you click on details of each transactions you will such useful info as merchant category and whether digital wallet was used, for example:

yes I knew that, but that doesn’t list the amount of points you earned for each transaction which is what I was referring to.

with other card issuers you can see exactly how many points each transaction earned
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:33 pm

yes I knew that, but that doesn’t list the amount of points you earned for each transaction which is what I was referring to.

with other card issuers you can see exactly how many points each transaction earned
You can tell - if it's mobile wallet, then it's 3x, if it's travel category (airline, hotel, etc), then it's 3x too.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yugi
You can tell - if it's mobile wallet, then it's 3x, if it's travel category (airline, hotel, etc), then it's 3x too.
You can tell that it's supposed to earn 3x, not whether it actually did. Important difference after you check your statement and realize that you are short some 3x, but don't know from where. In my case the Shanghai Maglev counted as "PASSENGER TRAINS (OTHER)" but didn't award 3x.

Took a long time to track that down while it was mixed in with a month's worth of spending (some of which was 1x).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by milesforhire
YTook a long time to track that down while it was mixed in with a month's worth of spending (some of which was 1x).
Did they give you bonus points?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
USB AR has a narrower definition of 'travel' than others, which I've found out using lots of small comparisons.

I thought somewhere they had a list of MCC or actual categories....but it doesn't matter if the vendor doesn't code stuff up the way we expect.

If it's a big expense, and I would really care about losing the pts, I sometimes book through a travel agency with Prestige to get 5x. or use Premier directly with 3x on a big spectrum of travel MCC's.

For things like real estate agencies which usually don't count as travel (I thought there was one card maybe BOA or Pathfinder? that did) try to use a card you're doing MSR on.....
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Did they give you bonus points?
They did not, nor did I receive travel credit for that purchase. Luckily most of the rest of my foreign travel purchases did count, so I'm not worried.

It was just annoying manually tracking down which purchases did/didn't count for 3x and why. Would be much better if they showed earning per transaction.

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
USB AR has a narrower definition of 'travel' than others, which I've found out using lots of small comparisons.

I thought somewhere they had a list of MCC or actual categories....but it doesn't matter if the vendor doesn't code stuff up the way we expect.

If it's a big expense, and I would really care about losing the pts, I sometimes book through a travel agency with Prestige to get 5x. or use Premier directly with 3x on a big spectrum of travel MCC's.

For things like real estate agencies which usually don't count as travel (I thought there was one card maybe BOA or Pathfinder? that did) try to use a card you're doing MSR on.....
Once I hit MSR, I plan to use this card exclusively for mobile wallet purchases and not worry about the travel coding. Though I do want to use it for RTR, so I guess I will have to worry which US merchants I'm using it at to redeem points.

Last edited by milesforhire; Jun 13, 2019 at 9:37 am Reason: Avoiding double post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.