Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by yugi
No on the first question. OTA is not a part of travel category
Strange, is not it - something is not in travel category when it has word 'travel' in it... So, it means that all bookings at hotels should be done directly? Not a wise option considering that I've seen prices directly at hotel websites which were 2x more than offered by OTAs...

Which OTAs' mobile app support Apple/Samsung/Google Pay? Agoda is one of such and if I remember, Expedia offers as Apple Pay as well. Also related question - is AirBnB 'travel' or not?

As the second part of the question - if booked via OTA, will I be covered by Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage?

Last edited by invisible; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by invisible
Also related question - is AirBnB 'travel' or not?
Airbnb does code as travel on the AR - at least it did when I booked one late last year.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:11 am

As the second part of the question - if booked via OTA, will I be covered by Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage?
I did send a message to customer service. Got following reply

The Visa(r) benefits on your account are managed by Visa(r). To ensure you receive the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the coverage, contact Visa(r) directly by calling 844-357-2015 (collect at 701-461-1126).
Please contact us again if we can be of further assistance.
Honestly, quite a discouraging reply. Chase at least has benefit administrator desk and can and will answer on questions on this matter. US Bank just simply sends you to direction of Visa - go, deal with them.

BTW, question about OTAs got the similar type of reply as well:

You receive travel credits for transactions directly with airlines, hotels, car rental companies, taxis, limousines, passenger trains and cruise lines. Since U.S. Bank cannot control how merchants choose to classify their transactions, we cannot guarantee that a specific transaction will qualify.
And regarding OTAs - following
Transactions to Travel Agencies and Tour Operators do not qualify for the Travel Statement Credit.
At least they clearly say this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Strange, is not it - something is not in travel category when it has word 'travel' in it... So, it means that all bookings at hotels should be done directly? Not a wise option considering that I've seen prices directly at hotel websites which were 2x more than offered by OTAs...

Which OTAs' mobile app support Apple/Samsung/Google Pay? Agoda is one of such and if I remember, Expedia offers as Apple Pay as well. Also related question - is AirBnB 'travel' or not?

Yes, Airbnb codes as hotels/motels/resorts, so it's a 3x category. I think it will be covered by TC/TI coverage even if bought via OTA.
For OTA, I suggest you to get another card, such as Citi Prestige (5x), Premier (3x), CSR (3x), CSP (2x), Priceline (5x, Priceline only). Ebates has introduced Ebates Hotels recently, so you can use their Ebates Visa, and get 3x MR in addition to portal payout. But this is limited to Ebates purchases only. Otherwise it's 1x.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by yugi
For OTA, I suggest you to get another card,
Considering that my hotel expenses yearly won't exceed like $300-400 (got recently grounded at work and from 30 round trip flight per year now I will have 1 (one), if lucky) I won't have a problem going with OTAs which offer Apply Pay support on their mobile apps.

As far as getting another card - too much hassle if you live overseas.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Considering that my hotel expenses yearly won't exceed like $300-400 (got recently grounded at work and from 30 round trip flight per year now I will have 1 (one), if lucky) I won't have a problem going with OTAs which offer Apply Pay support on their mobile apps.

As far as getting another card - too much hassle if you live overseas.
Are you sure that mobile-wallet purchases made on line -- as opposed to those made at a brick-and-mortar retailer -- qualify for 3X points with the Altitude Reserve?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you sure that mobile-wallet purchases made on line -- as opposed to those made at a brick-and-mortar retailer -- qualify for 3X points with the Altitude Reserve?
Yes, they qualify.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If it is done my using 'mobile wallet' and is not in the exclusion category - it should get 3x points, isn't it?

My previous online non-mobile app booking with Agoda was classified as:

Merchant category
LODGING-HOTELS/MOTEL/RESORTS/CENTRAL RESERVATIONS
I canceled it and made booking via app. It has not posted yet and waiting until clears. Considering that it is USD $19 (no, not a typo and digits are not missing) for two days, I won't have much to lose.

Update: After posing it is classified as
Digital payment - Apple Pay
Merchant category TRAVEL AGENCIES AND TOUR OPERATORS
Interesting - final charges category is different then authorization.

Last edited by invisible; Jul 31, 2019 at 3:03 am
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is done my using 'mobile wallet' and is not in the exclusion category - it should get 3x points, isn't it?

My previous online non-mobile app booking with Agoda was classified as:

I canceled it and made booking via app. It has not posted yet and waiting until clears. Considering that it is USD $19 (no, not a typo and digits are not missing) for two days, I won't have much to lose.
I confirmed with US Bank (before I saw yugi's post) that mobile wallet purchases made via websites, via apps, or in person at stores all qualify for the AR points bonus.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Thanks. I've been having some PayPal purchases on some obscure vendors not code up as online on my ATT card, so I guess I'll try switching them over to USB AR
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Thanks. I've been having some PayPal purchases on some obscure vendors not code up as online on my ATT card, so I guess I'll try switching them over to USB AR
Paypal won't code as 3x on AR. You can use discover this quarter for PayPal.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:58 pm
Etp

I understand that many believe that Altitude Reserve has primary CDW coverage. Reading its benefits guide (imgur.com/RjRGJLZ), I cannot certainly rely on this card's CDW as being primary. The guide does not contain even one sentence about whether or not you need to first submit a claim to your own auto insurances, which can be optimistically interpreted that its CDW coverage is primary. On the other hand other cards that have primary CDW, like Chase CSR and others, make it crystal clear in their explanation of benefits that the coverage is primary or specifically mention that one doesn't need to submit a claim to her/his own insurance before claiming through card's CDW coverage.

Any though on this?
Or has anybody ever had a real-world experience dealing with Altitude Reserve CDW coverage?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Etp
I understand that many believe that Altitude Reserve has primary CDW coverage. Reading its benefits guide (imgur.com/RjRGJLZ), I cannot certainly rely on this card's CDW as being primary. The guide does not contain even one sentence about whether or not you need to first submit a claim to your own auto insurances, which can be optimistically interpreted that its CDW coverage is primary. On the other hand other cards that have primary CDW, like Chase CSR and others, make it crystal clear in their explanation of benefits that the coverage is primary or specifically mention that one doesn't need to submit a claim to her/his own insurance before claiming through card's CDW coverage.

Any though on this?
Or has anybody ever had a real-world experience dealing with Altitude Reserve CDW coverage?
If the AR coverage were only secondary, and US Bank did not specifically disclose that, they would be in for a world of hurt. Note that in the how-to-file-a-claim section, there is no requirement that one file with one's personal insurance carrier.

Compare the description of coverage for the US Bank Visa "Signature" card. (The AR is a Visa "Infinite" card.):

https://mycard.usbank.com/credit/off...exp=&referral=
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

Any suggestions on meal delivery kit services? I don't have any available in the grocery stores near me. I buy them online. I know you can do homechef through the samsung pay app. Costco used to have blue apron GC but i don't think anymore and I am 3 hours from one. Trying to figure out how to do with mobile payments.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:06 pm

Is there a way to pay taxes using mobile payments? I have to pay local property taxes in Washington State.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.