Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yugi
US Bank Altitude Reserve card
  • 50,000 bonus points after $4,500 spend within first 90 days
  • Up to $325 annually (cardmember year NOT calendar year) in statement credits for eligible travel and dining/takeout purchases
  • $400 annual fee
  • Free authorized users
  • 3x on travel and mobile wallet purchases
  • 5x on hotel and car rental purchases made via US Bank portal
Travel category is defined as follows: purchases made directly with airlines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, limousines, passenger trains and cruise line companies
Mobile wallet category is defined as follows: the method of paying for a transaction by use of a mobile device (in-store, in-app or online) and includes ApplePay®, Samsung Pay, Android Google Pay™, Microsoft Wallet, LG Pay®

Card provides primary CDW coverage in the US for cars up to $75k in value up to 15 days. In other countries coverage is up to 31 days. Excluded countries: Israel, Jamaica, Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Card provides 8 Priority Pass lounge visits per PP membership year.

Direct link to application:
http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/team...e_reserve.html

Point Redemptions
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point value for travel purchases made directly at the US Bank travel site
  • Redeem at 1.5c per point for travel purchases made at other sites when using the Realtime Rewards feature. Must enroll first.
  • Otherwise redeem at 1c per point.
  • With Realtime Rewards it's possible to redeem for fees such as Delta award charges for example.
  • To redeem for lodging the minimum purchase must be $500 $150 and you must have enough points to cover the whole purchase. For car rentals, the minimum is $250 $150. $10 minimum for the rest of the categories.
  • Some non-US travel charges work with Realtime Rewards even though they shouldn't.

Reconsideration Line: 1-800-947-1444

Print Wikipost

US Bank Altitude Reserve Card (2017 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
FWIW, my Gear S3 hasn't reset Samsung Pay in quite a while. Whatever issue I was having before got fixed with some SW update (though Samsung never admitted there was a problem).

That said, I find that Google Pay is far less hassle to use. At best, I need fewer to zero button presses to actually enable payment compared to the watch. At worst, it'll actually work where the S3 won't (especially at smaller terminals with NFC enabled). And for me, pretty much the only day to day places that don't support NFC now are restaurants and most gas pumps, where any form of mobile payment is going to be an awkward hassle at best. In any event, I think it's still good as a backup, but it's definitely not something I use day to day.
I switched to Samsung phone since getting the watch 2 years ago. So I now have both. Now I can add up to 20 cards into Samsung Pay, instead of 10, which helps. The phone works much better with Samsung pay, and is much more reliable and has less bugs. There are also additional features, such as cashback portal, and a gift card store, which I use pretty often, when there are discounts. Both AT&T AM and AR earn 3x when buying GCs on SP. I use a watch sometimes at the places like gas stations, USPS, etc, where it's harder (or impossible) to stick the phone into the slot, or when a card is only present on a watch. It works good so far, but the phone works much better. I have Google Pay setup, but I only use it when SP fails, which is almost never.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by geoff325
So how much are you guys actually using this? Is there really value in it if using better the amex gold for dining/grocery and the citi premier for 3x gas? Or just doing it for the signing bonus, Costco and a few other things then cancelling after a year
I use it everywhere for non-category spend, and the main spend is at Costco of course, but it's also handy to pay medical bills, car expenses, government expenses, abroad, etc. But if I had to have only one card, it would be AR. I used it extensively abroad, in a countries which unheard of mobile payments, and it always worked (with Samsung Pay).
Old May 16, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
The issue with reset was long resolved. There is an issue with Amex card, when sometimes it says "stay connected to the phone". In this case, just delete the card, and readd it back, which is easy with Amex cards. I was able to add US bank cards with SMS, but I recently received a new card from USB (Radisson rewards), and was not able to use SMS, have to call the bank.
Well, I experienced the reset issue about a couple of weeks ago when I had to do a factory reset on my phone. Took me about a day to be able to add the AR back to GP on my phone. I was able to immediately add all of my other cards from other issuers (Amex, Citi, Chase, Discover) without a problem.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
I switched to Samsung phone since getting the watch 2 years ago. So I now have both. Now I can add up to 20 cards into Samsung Pay, instead of 10, which helps. The phone works much better with Samsung pay, and is much more reliable and has less bugs. There are also additional features, such as cashback portal, and a gift card store, which I use pretty often, when there are discounts. Both AT&T AM and AR earn 3x when buying GCs on SP. I use a watch sometimes at the places like gas stations, USPS, etc, where it's harder (or impossible) to stick the phone into the slot, or when a card is only present on a watch. It works good so far, but the phone works much better. I have Google Pay setup, but I only use it when SP fails, which is almost never.
Long-term, I think Samsung is going away from MST support on watches. The last couple that came out didn't have it, for instance. That might be an admission that they don't really want to bother anymore (if they did in the first place, given the various bugs and how long it took to fix them).

That said, given the rest of the Gear S3, I'm not sure I have much confidence in Samsung's software quality in general to make trying a phone from them worthwhile, especially if it's mainly to get MST.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
One question - the bonus points are awarded for using Apple/Samsung/Android pay regardless the MCC of the transaction?
Old May 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
One question - the bonus points are awarded for using Apple/Samsung/Android pay regardless the MCC of the transaction?
thats correct.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by briang191
thats correct.
Thank you.. Follow up questions.

- If I open checking account and deposit $25K in MM account, how soon after this can I apply to this card?
- 'effective 4.5c rate' - it applies only when travel purchases are made thu point redemption portal or for any travel related transaction?
- There is no points transfer option to airline miles, correct?

Last edited by invisible; May 17, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old May 17, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

- If I open checking account and deposit $25K in MM account, how soon after this can I apply to this card?
- 'effective 4.5c rate' - it applies only when travel purchases are made thu point redemption portal or for any travel related transaction?
1. It depends. Some customers, upon opening an account in a branch, have been informed by a branch employee that they are immediately pre-qualified for the AR card. Absent that, I think the rule of thumb is to wait 90 days after establishing a relationship with U.S. Bank.

2. Even if you don't book travel through U.S. Bank's portal, you can still get 1.5¢ per point if you enroll in real-time redemptions. You'll get a text message after you make any qualifying travel purchase (car rentals have a $250 minimum, lodging has a $500 minimum), asking you if you'd like to redeem points for a credit equal to the amount of the travel charge. If you text back "REDEEM" within 24 hours of getting the text, your points will be redeemed.

3. Correct: no airline transfers are available with this card at the moment.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

the banker will let you know if you are pre-approved for the card when opening an account. Otherwise it’s 5 days as clearly stated in the T&C. Sometimes though this can be bypassed if the banker calls UW for you and gets an override.

the 90 day rule changed quite some time again. I don’t even think it was ever 90 days. Thought it was only 35.

but it’s 5 days now without any manual intervention

In order to get the 1.5CPP so 4.5% back for mobile pay. You must redeem for travel either through the portal or RTR.
You can use RTR for other things besides travel but it’s only 1CPP.
guv1976 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

the banker will let you know if you are pre-approved for the card when opening an account. Otherwise it’s 5 days as clearly stated in the T&C. Sometimes though this can be bypassed if the banker calls UW for you and gets an override.

the 90 day rule changed quite some time again. I don’t even think it was ever 90 days. Thought it was only 35.

In order to get the 1.5CPP so 4.5% back for mobile pay. You must redeem for travel either through the portal or RTR.
Thanks for the update re: waiting period after establishing a banking relationship. I got my AR card a couple of years ago, and thought I recalled it being 90 days then, but I might be mis-remembering. (The waiting period didn't matter to me, as I had had another US Bank credit card for a few years when I applied for my AR.)
Old May 17, 2019, 1:07 pm

Thanks for informative answers. So I did go ahead and opened both MM and Checking accounts. Afterwards I called the 800 number and confirmed that as long as I have $25000 in my MM savings account, then there will be no account maintenance fees and my MM account will have 2.25% APY. Interest will be credited quarterly.

I already sent two ACH transfers to start funding the account and will wait until they appear in the account. Then I will send remaining funds to get the account to $25K. After that, will wait for a week and apply to AR card. By this time about 10 should be passed from the account opening and it should have $25K in MM and several hundreds in Checking accounts.

Does above approach make sense?

P.S. One unexpected problem - US Bank does not accept Google Voice as a mobile phone number despite the fact that I received messages on it during to account opening.
I am currently overseas, but plan to be in US in mid-June. Is there any way/workaround with above restriction? If I put temporarily real cell number to activate it, can I switch it back to Google Voice afterwards?
If no, is there any SIM available which I can use overseas and won't be bankrupted by roaming SMS charges?
Old May 17, 2019, 1:29 pm

Thanks for informative answers. So I did go ahead and opened both MM and Checking accounts. Afterwards I called the 800 number and confirmed that as long as I have $25000 in my MM savings account, then there will be no account maintenance fees and my MM account will have 2.25% APY. Interest will be credited quarterly.

I already sent two ACH transfers to start funding the account and will wait until they appear in the account. Then I will send remaining funds to get the account to $25K. After that, will wait for a week and apply to AR card. By this time about 10 should be passed from the account opening and it should have $25K in MM and several hundreds in Checking accounts.

Does above approach make sense?

P.S. One unexpected problem - US Bank does not accept Google Voice as a mobile phone number despite the fact that I received messages on it during to account opening.
I am currently overseas, but plan to be in US in mid-June. Is there any way/workaround with above restriction? If I put temporarily real cell number to activate it, can I switch it back to Google Voice afterwards?
If no, is there any SIM available which I can use overseas and won't be bankrupted by roaming SMS charges?
I don’t understand the entire 25K in a MM account. That’s not a requirement. You could have simply opened a Gold checking package and then had that fee waived monthly with the credit card.
Sure if you want to drop 25K in USB, then that’s fine. But you could likely do better in interest elsewhere.

I spend 9 months a year overseas. I use google Fi to solve the problem that you are describing.

you can either use it as a main phone service. It’s 80 a month for unlimited data and no text charges if you receive while roaming.

Or just use the line access for 20 a month with no data. You will be charged to make calls/text but not receive.

Places ive used google Fi and can confirm the no charge for receiving calls/text.

Barbados
Japan
Italy
Croatia
Old May 18, 2019, 12:20 am

I don’t understand the entire 25K in a MM account. That’s not a requirement.
from the site:
No monthly maintenance fee with ... $25,000 in combined personal deposits, credit balances with U.S. Bank and/or investments* through U.S. Bancorp
Sure if you want to drop 25K in USB, then that’s fine. But you could likely do better in interest elsewhere.
Question is 'how much better' - $120 difference from $25000 - I do not think it worth additional hassle.

I spend 9 months a year overseas. I use google Fi to solve the problem that you are describing.

you can either use it as a main phone service. It’s 80 a month for unlimited data and no text charges if you receive while roaming.
I live and work overseas for last >8 years . USD $80/mo for a single text once in a month or two is about 100x more I am willing to pay.
Will find a workaround.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:02 am

from the site:

Question is 'how much better' - $120 difference from $25000 - I do not think it worth additional hassle.

I live and work overseas for last >8 years . USD $80/mo for a single text once in a month or two is about 100x more I am willing to pay.
Will find a workaround.

you can waive the monthly account count fees through a Gold checking package with having a active credit card. That would satisfy the customer requirement.

again if you want to put 25,000 then that’s your choice, but I’m just trying to make it clear there are other ways to satisfy the customer requirement and still get zero account fees.

You dont have to do the unlimited data option. They have calls/text access only but it’s still expensive for a single text. You can pause the service for up to 3 months at a time.

so activate it, get the text and then pause it. And repeat the process. This is what I do, but I do use the service occasionally when traveling as it’s nice to not have to locate a local sim on arrival.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by mmax1
Received 10000 retention points - just requested something, did not have to threaten to cancel.
Thanks for this. AF hit recently, called in for any retention offers and receive the same 10k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.