Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by pbmiles
Yeah, I have been getting 3% CB on all my Simon purchases.
I recently bought $10k simon 1k card from simon website "volume", got 0% cash back on it. so no cash back from simon online.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Alliant CU VISA Needs Contactless

I really want this card to be issued with a contactless option. (The physical card, not just Apple/Google Pay on your phone). Much like AMEX & Chase is doing.

When you add the fact that this card now cost $99/year it should be the latest technology. Especially, in today’s world where we don’t want to be touching things. I’ve emailed Alliant but I doubt that goes anywhere. Any ideas how to push this?
Old May 16, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyou10
I really want this card to be issued with a contactless option. (The physical card, not just Apple/Google Pay on your phone). Much like AMEX & Chase is doing.

When you add the fact that this card now cost $99/year it should be the latest technology. Especially, in today’s world where we don’t want to be touching things. I’ve emailed Alliant but I doubt that goes anywhere. Any ideas how to push this?
Beyond contacting them and organizing others to do the same, what else can you do?

There's a cost to adding contactless so they may not have wanted to when there was really no consumer benefit. But given our new world, perhaps Alliant will be more open to it.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyou10

I'm curious - why is contactless on the card preferable to the mobile wallet for you?

I've added all of my cards to Apple Pay on my watch and can't imagine preferring the physical card to the mobile wallet. The use of tokens on these devices is an added layer of security on top of EMV contactless as well.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
I have them on my iPhone too and love it. However, I have found at a lot of places, on their screen, they still have to hit cash or card. In today world no one ask anymore. They just wait to see what you pull out to hit the button.

Thus, way more frequently than I’d like, they just stair at me, probably thinking why is this jerk looking at a text and not paying. Until I say card, and the screen loads, and then we can move on.

I went for about 3 months of using my phone as much as I could at the end of last year. I just got burned out because it always felt like you are swimming up stream. There were a few positive exceptions that worked great every time. Chick-fil-A, Oncue (gas station), and Old Navy to name a few.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:46 am
bbd

Just got this email New changes to the program
https://ww2.alliantcreditunion.org/v...0l87162LL5Your

Alliant Visa Signature card was already an industry-leading, award-winning credit card. But when members like you told us that you didn’t like paying an annual fee or having an earnings limit, we listened. Effective as of the start date of your July 2021 billing cycle:
  • We’re eliminating the $99 annual fee!
  • You’ll now earn unlimited cash back on all qualifying eligible purchases1 – with no categories to keep track of and no more $10,000 monthly cap!
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bbd
Just got this email New changes to the program
https://ww2.alliantcreditunion.org/v...0l87162LL5Your

Alliant Visa Signature card was already an industry-leading, award-winning credit card. But when members like you told us that you didn’t like paying an annual fee or having an earnings limit, we listened. Effective as of the start date of your July 2021 billing cycle:
  • We’re eliminating the $99 annual fee!
  • You’ll now earn unlimited cash back on all qualifying eligible purchases1 – with no categories to keep track of and no more $10,000 monthly cap!
haha - We’ve listened and made the card closer to what it was before we changed it

if you read the terms, you have to have an Alliant checking account with an electronic deposit (not necessarily a direct deposit) and $1k minimum in the account. Even then it’s only 2.5% of the first $10k then 1.5% after that.

Removing the annual fee is a good move. Can’t believe they got away with the fee after the card changes as it was.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:35 pm
bbd

Originally Posted by danpeake
haha - We’ve listened and made the card closer to what it was before we changed it

if you read the terms, you have to have an Alliant checking account with an electronic deposit (not necessarily a direct deposit) and $1k minimum in the account. Even then it’s only 2.5% of the first $10k then 1.5% after that.

Removing the annual fee is a good move. Can’t believe they got away with the fee after the card changes as it was.

Yeah i saw that, i wonder if you do a cash back to checking does that count toward going toward the 1 electronic deposit per month
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by bbd
Yeah i saw that, i wonder if you do a cash back to checking does that count toward going toward the 1 electronic deposit per month
"Direct deposits, payroll deposits, ATM deposits, mobile deposits and transfers from another financial institution all count."

I would guess yes since I believe those are sent from the card rewards program via ACH, but you may want to make a "real" one just to be sure. A simple ACH push or depositing a mobile check should be fine.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by danpeake

Kind of annoying that they didn't include Alliant savings accounts in there. I already have one of those, but not the checking.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:57 pm

Anyone still using the Alliant 2.5% card? Trying to decide between this and others (like the SDFCU, PenFed, etc.) or perhaps even the Apple Card as a backup Visa/MC.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by manlymatt83
Anyone still using the Alliant 2.5% card? Trying to decide between this and others (like the SDFCU, PenFed, etc.) or perhaps even the Apple Card as a backup Visa/MC.

The Alliant seems like a great non-category everyday card to me. 2.5% is great. I almost went for this card before I got lucky and got the 3% AOD FCU instead.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by ptatohed
The Alliant seems like a great non-category everyday card to me. 2.5% is great. I almost went for this card before I got lucky and got the 3% AOD FCU instead.
It's okay. I like the no FTF. I don't like that they round-down to the nearest dollar of cashback.

eg: if you spend $39 in a month, you'd get $0 of cashback that month... and if you spend $79, you'd get $1.

It's no problem if you're spending a lot on it, but if you're just using it for an occasional backup card like I am, it's annoying.

Last edited by toofast; Dec 30, 2021 at 3:10 pm
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by toofast
It's okay. I like the no FTF. I don't like that they round-down to the nearest dollar of cashback.

eg: if you spend $39 in a month, you'd get $0 of cashback that month... and if you spend $79, you'd get $1.

It's no problem if you're spending a lot on it, but if you're just using it for an occasional backup card like I am, it's annoying.
Wait, say that again... you lost me. Why $0, why $1?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ptatohed
Wait, say that again... you lost me. Why $0, why $1?
39 x .025 = $0.975 rounded down to $0.00
40 x .025 = $1.00
79 x .025 = $1.975 round down to $1.00
80 x .025 = $2.00

In effect they are paying $1 per full $40 spend.
ptatohed likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.