Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019 | 11:40 pm

Programs: Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Wow, when did that change? Sure makes my decision easier.

Edit: You know, I take that back. Even at $99, 2.5% back is the highest return on a cash back card as far as I know, and if you're able to put a lot of bills and other miscellaneous spending on it, it might still be a decent deal.

Last edited by surfmonkey89; Apr 2, 2019 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 2, 2019 | 2:34 pm

I’m really torn between this and the Citi DC.

Seems like the Alliant's advantages are 3% with no AF that first year, plus no FTF. Also, it's a Visa vs MC (small advantage, but still). But, it goes down to 2.5% after that, with what is now a pretty substantial AF for a cash back card. I’m confident that I’d use it enough to return more overall than the DC, but that AF makes it a little more difficult.

The Citi DC has no AF, ever. And if price protection is as good as people say, it could save me a fair bit of cash. But it has a FTF, so I'd need another card for travel.

Am I missing something obvious from either of these cards that would help make the decision?
Old Apr 2, 2019 | 2:42 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by surfmonkey89
I’m really torn between this and the Citi DC.

Seems like the Alliant's advantages are 3% with no AF that first year, plus no FTF. Also, it's a Visa vs MC (small advantage, but still). But, it goes down to 2.5% after that, with what is now a pretty substantial AF for a cash back card. I’m confident that I’d use it enough to return more overall than the DC, but that AF makes it a little more difficult.

The Citi DC has no AF, ever. And if price protection is as good as people say, it could save me a fair bit of cash. But it has a FTF, so I'd need another card for travel.

Am I missing something obvious from either of these cards that would help make the decision?

Well, do we know if the new, higher fee applies to current card holders? I didn't see it in my statement after doing a quick search over last year's statements. That change has to be disclosed and we need to find out when/if the fee is increasing.

I think it's pretty easy, if you're using it for well over $20,000, you keep this card (that's the point the 0.005% extra cash back is greater than $99). I say "well over" because it has to negate the negatives as you see it (price protection, etc.).
Old Apr 2, 2019 | 2:51 pm

The trick thing for me would be to balance spending $1650 per month on the card, along with hitting 30 transactions on my American Express Everyday Preferred to get the 1.5x bonus. I can probably do it if I stick some small, Spotify-type charges on the Amex.

That’s one heck of an increase in AF. I read it as “We told you this is for higher spenders, and we mean it”.
Old Apr 3, 2019 | 7:42 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
...., it's a Visa vs MC (small advantage)
Why do you see VISA as an advantage?
Old Apr 3, 2019 | 11:35 am

Accepted more places? Costco being the obvious example.

Last edited by surfmonkey89; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 3, 2019 | 12:44 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 100K (OW), SK Silver (ST), UA (*A), UR, MR
Accepted more places? Costco being the obvious example.
I appreciate Mastercards SecureCode for international purchases, am not sure what the status of Verified by Visa is with Chase at this time, it appears Visa Checkout is expanding globally.
Old Apr 3, 2019 | 12:47 pm

That’s a great point. Unfortunately, with the FTF of the Citi Doublecash, I don’t consider it wrt international travel. Or are you talking about purchasing items from international web sites?
Old Apr 3, 2019 | 5:17 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean
.... not sure what the status of Verified by Visa is with Chase ....
Is there a connection between Alliant Credit Union and Chase?
Old Apr 4, 2019 | 9:32 am
Etp
5 Years on Site

Did anybody contact Alliant to ask whether they will increase the annual fee for current card holders as well?
Old Apr 12, 2019 | 2:43 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Just received an email

They are increasing annual fee for current cardholders. No sure how I'll respond--any better cash back cards?
Old Apr 12, 2019 | 2:49 pm

Did they give a reason? I assume it was marketing-speak, but I’d still be interested to hear their reasoning.
Old Apr 15, 2019 | 4:00 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
I received the shutdown notice, which was scheduled to take effect several days from now. I elected to close my accounts preemptively, despite paying the AF in Feb. I doubt they would have given me a refund anyway. It wasnt all bad though, as I was about to still make it profitable despite paying the AF in the couple of months it covered (I put approx $80k on it, mostly MS, since paying the AF) and use them as an MO toilet. Anyway, the key seems to be to do in person transactions to avoid getting on radar. Dont go too hard, though. I used last year for the OD glitch (buying $400 of vgc for $325ish) when I needed to max CL between several cards. It went downhill from there. Between difficulty BPing them, slow release of CL after payment, mid-cycle reporting, their outdated website, and their recently increased AF, Im not too hurt to have them can me.
Old Apr 15, 2019 | 9:39 am

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
Got the email about the increased annual fee. The subject line is "(Name), your Visa SIgnature card really pays." The body of the email just brags that if you spend 4,000 a month and get 2.5% cash back, you'll get $1,101 cash back per year ($1,200 - $99 fee). It doesn't try to give any reason for the increase.

In the footnotes, it says "Changes to terms and annual fee take effect on June 13, 2019. Your annual fee is charged on the 3rd business day of the month following your anniversary date."

The footnotes also say, "As described in the Alliant Cashback Visa Signature Card Program Terms & Conditions, certain categories of purchases such as cash advances and gift cards do not qualify to earn cash back. See the Alliant Cashback Visa Signature Card Disclosure for additional details. Cash back earnings on qualified purchases are unlimited."

I think they're sending a paper letter to say when the increased fee will specifically apply to each person. My anniversary is right around June 13th, so the increase will probably apply to me, but it would be nice to get another year at the old fee.
Old Apr 16, 2019 | 12:33 pm
Etp
5 Years on Site

I applied for the card right before the AF increased to $99. My first annual fee will liekly post in March 2020. If they charge me a $99 AF, then I was never charged the $59 AF which was advertised to me. It basically means they switched the terms and applied it to me without ever giving me the benefits of the terms that was advertised to me. I believe this will be bait and switch.

Last edited by Etp; Apr 16, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.