Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Old May 4, 2018, 6:57 am

Does anyone know how Alliant calculates Available CL? I've never been able to figure out how to get all of my CL. Right now I'm sitting at 30% of CL with a $0 balance. Is there a trick to get CL to clear faster?
Old May 4, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Does anyone know how Alliant calculates Available CL? I've never been able to figure out how to get all of my CL. Right now I'm sitting at 30% of CL with a $0 balance. Is there a trick to get CL to clear faster?
In my experience, it takes a week after payment for the funds to be made available (ie payment is made on Tuesday, May 1; funds are released on Tuesday, May 8). You can call the CU (not the credit card servicer) and ask them to release the funds, but they'll only make payments available up to half of the money you have with the CU (so if you have a savings account with $10,000, they will only release a total of $5,000 in payments). They can only release whole payments, so, in the example of having $10,000 held at the CU, if you had a payment for $4,000 and one for $6,000, they will only release the $4,000 payment.

For a few weeks recently, they started to make my payments available immediately, but this week they went back to holding funds for a week. Not sure if I was lucky for a while or they noticed a spending pattern change (I hadn't been using the card quite as often for about a month).

It's definitely a negative of the card; I don't know any other issuer that "holds" payments like these, let alone for a week.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
This is one of the big drawbacks of this card for me, that it takes forever for the CL to be released after a payment. And since I'm transferring money from my Alliant checking account, it just seems absurd that they don't credit it instantly, let alone within 24 hours. I've wondered if they're trying to slow use of the card, especially while you're still in the first year with 3%.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
I got an offer in my email for this card. I have the barclays arrival plus card that only gets 2% when I redeem via travel rewards. Is this credit card better than the barclays arrival+ in every way?
Old May 7, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I got an offer in my email for this card. I have the barclays arrival plus card that only gets 2% when I redeem via travel rewards. Is this credit card better than the barclays arrival+ in every way?
In every way? That's a decision that you'll have to make, but I think most people think that 3/2.5% in cash is better than 2% back in travel.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by GreenWing
This is one of the big drawbacks of this card for me, that it takes forever for the CL to be released after a payment. And since I'm transferring money from my Alliant checking account, it just seems absurd that they don't credit it instantly, let alone within 24 hours. I've wondered if they're trying to slow use of the card, especially while you're still in the first year with 3%.
Has anyone gone over the credit line, due to a standard hold on a recent payment? Reading the agreement, it sounds like the may decline the charge or demand immediate payment if you do, but if you have a payment that occurred several days ago they're just sitting on it I wonder if additional charges would be approved.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Has anyone gone over the credit line, due to a standard hold on a recent payment? Reading the agreement, it sounds like the may decline the charge or demand immediate payment if you do, but if you have a payment that occurred several days ago they're just sitting on it I wonder if additional charges would be approved.
In my experience, no you can't go over the available credit limit even if you're waiting for a payment to become available in your credit limit.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:11 pm

I went over the credit line, but only because i was near max usage and they charged me the annual fee which put me over the limit.

I didn't think it was possible but I guess there is an exception for the annual fee.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by spacecadet610
I didn't think it was possible but I guess there is an exception for the annual fee.
There's always an exception for fees, including interest (interest is a fee).

If there wasn't an exception, the bank wouldn't be able to charge you the money they deserve to receive.

Last edited by mikesyr18; May 10, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old May 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

I called and canceled this card on the same day its $59 annual fee posted (mid cycle). I called back when the statement cycle ended and a bill posted with a $59 balance to inquire about why there was a balance due on the account. Was told twice (after HUCA) that Alliant does not credit annual fees once they have been charged—even if canceled on the same day it is charged.

Anybody else experience this or should I HUCA some more?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:59 pm

After a productive month, I got a letter stating that my activity was not consistent with an individual account. It says I need to call in within 2 weeks or they reserve the right to close the account. Do I actually need to call in? Is this the same warning letter others have received?
Old May 21, 2018, 5:01 pm

After a productive month, I got a letter stating that my activity was not consistent with an individual account. It says I need to call in within 2 weeks or they reserve the right to close the account. Do I actually need to call in? Is this the same warning letter others have received?
Not based on what others have said, I don't think. Was it referencing your bank account or the credit card?
Old May 21, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Not based on what others have said, I don't think. Was it referencing your bank account or the credit card?

Credit card
Old May 21, 2018, 6:52 pm

Productive = GC MS or just a lot of organic spend?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Productive = GC MS or just a lot of organic spend?
Lets just say Im considering how to explain many purchases of the same amount☺️

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.