Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
39 x .025 = $0.975 rounded down to $0.00
40 x .025 = $1.00
79 x .025 = $1.975 round down to $1.00
80 x .025 = $2.00

In effect they are paying $1 per full $40 spend.
Thank you. Oh man, that would kill me! lol. It's effectively just under a 2.5% card!

Do you have to collect your CB monthly or can you let it build up and cash out every 6 - 12 months to minimize the "round-down blow"?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
39 x .025 = $0.975 rounded down to $0.00
40 x .025 = $1.00
79 x .025 = $1.975 round down to $1.00
80 x .025 = $2.00

In effect they are paying $1 per full $40 spend.
OY! Is this documented somewhere?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by manlymatt83
Originally Posted by ptatohed
Thank you. Oh man, that would kill me! lol. It's effectively just under a 2.5% card!
Do you have to collect your CB monthly or can you let it build up and cash out every 6 - 12 months to minimize the "round-down blow"?
** UPDATE **

Apologies, I may have got this wrong. I just went through the terms & conditions, and it actually says it rounds to the nearest dollar. I also checked my statements, and they were all below the $20 mark in-between $40 earnings, so that's why I went to that conclusion.

I'm going to do some further tests on this card, but the way I read the terms, it actually should be:

$19 x .025 = $0.475 rounded down to $0.00
$21 x .025 = $0.525 rounded up to $1.00

I'll do some tests on my card and report back. If this is correct though, it is not as bad as I previously thought, and sometimes you'll get better than 2.5% CB.
ptatohed likes this.

Last edited by toofast; Dec 30, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:06 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by manlymatt83
To be clear, I do not have this card I am just presenting my understanding of what toofast wrote, but if they are rounding to the nearest dollar, rather than down to full dollars, some of my calculations are inaccurate..
manlymatt83 and ptatohed like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
To be clear, I do not have this card I am just presenting my understanding of what toofast wrote, but if they are rounding to the nearest dollar, rather than down to full dollars, some of my calculations are inaccurate..
Yes, sorry I wasn't correcting you. I gave the wrong information before, and you did the math on my incorrect info.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:16 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by toofast
Yes, sorry I wasn't correcting you. I gave the wrong information before, and you did the math on my incorrect info.
I don't mind making mistakes . My explanation is for people who read this thread later, and see the numbers change.
toofast likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:42 am

Fair enough if it rounds to the nearest dollar (up or down). Month after month, round up after round down, statistically it would result in a 2.5% CB card at the end of the day.

Now, if you were very strategic you could try to always make your monthly purchases such to force it to "round up" resulting in a 2.5X% card, lol. But even I, as penny hungry as I am, probably wouldn't have the motivation for that, lol!!
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:43 am

Fair enough if it rounds to the nearest dollar (up or down). Month after month, round up after round down, statistically it would result in a 2.5% CB card at the end of the day.

Now, if you were very strategic you could try to always make your monthly purchases such to force it to "round up" resulting in a 2.5X% card, lol. But even I, as penny hungry as I am, probably wouldn't have the motivation for that, lol!!
Haha yes, that also occurred to me for a brief moment too!

If you spent just $20.01 on it every month you'd have a 4.99% cashback card!
ptatohed likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:58 am

Haha yes, that also occurred to me for a brief moment too!

If you spent just $20.01 on it every month you'd have a 4.99% cashback card!
Ha! I love it. Lol!
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:46 pm

Still don't understand how they calculate the cashback. This month mine is several bucks short of 2.5%.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
Still don't understand how they calculate the cashback. This month mine is several bucks short of 2.5%.
How much did you spend on it, and what amount of cashback did you receive?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:24 pm

I read that they calculate your 2.5% CB first using the base 1.5% and rounding that to the nearest dollar, and then rounding the bonus 1% to the nearest dollar, then adding the two whole dollar amounts together. Each month might be slightly higher or slightly lower than 2.5% but, over time, it will be basically 2.5%.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:33 pm

I read that they calculate your 2.5% CB first using the base 1.5% and rounding that to the nearest dollar, and then rounding the bonus 1% to the nearest dollar, then adding the two whole dollar amounts together. Each month might be slightly higher or slightly lower than 2.5% but, over time, it will be basically 2.5%.
Yes, I believe that is the method. It's a bit annoying though, I wish they would just calculate a straight 2.5% without all of this rounding business!
ptatohed likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:22 am

How much did you spend on it, and what amount of cashback did you receive?
2,089.58 which somehow resulted in $48 cashback.

Using the numbers above, I tried doing the math every which way to back into the cashback. Even tried downloading the individual transactions and multiplying and rounding each individually, still couldn't back into $48. You'd think spending over 2K would result in the $50 required to cash this out, but nope. It's not a deal breaker, but rather annoying.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:51 am

2,089.58 which somehow resulted in $48 cashback.

Using the numbers above, I tried doing the math every which way to back into the cashback. Even tried downloading the individual transactions and multiplying and rounding each individually, still couldn't back into $48. You'd think spending over 2K would result in the $50 required to cash this out, but nope. It's not a deal breaker, but rather annoying.
Yes, I agree. By my math that should have resulted in $52 cashback.

Could you have any transactions that are disallowed? (eg: I think gambling and money order type transactions do not earn cashback for example)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.