Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:09 am
  #211  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by toofast
Yes, I agree. By my math that should have resulted in $52 cashback.

Could you have any transactions that are disallowed? (eg: I think gambling and money order type transactions do not earn cashback for example)
Highly doubt it, but I suppose there is no way of knowing for sure since it's not somehow specified on the statement.
FlawlessVictory is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:31 am
  #212  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,019
Originally Posted by toofast
Could you have any transactions that are disallowed? (eg: I think gambling and money order type transactions do not earn cashback for example)
The list of exclusions is fairly long. I would ask them to reconcile the arithmetic, in writing:

Cash back is not eligible on finance charges, fees, cash advances (including purchase of crypto currency and foreign currency), convenience
checks, Debt Protection charges, PIN-based purchases, payment of existing card balances, balance transfers, ATM transactions, Interlink
processed transactions, purchases of and any fees paid toward gift cards, pre-paid cards, re-loadable cards, or payments made for
payment instruments that can readily be converted to cash (for example, travelers’ cheques, money orders, wire transfers, lottery tickets,
casino gaming chips, off-track betting, wagers) or impermissible purchases such as purchases made for business purposes.
https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/i...Conditions.pdf
mia is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:38 am
  #213  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: CMH
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by mia
The list of exclusions is fairly long. I would ask them to reconcile the arithmetic, in writing:

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/i...Conditions.pdf
I just re-calculated, and I think they have excluded around $188 of your purchases to arrive at that cashback figure.

Is there something from your spending of about that amount that might have been reasonably excluded?

Also, on your statement it should show the breakdown of the 1.5% and 1% cashbacks. What are those figures?
toofast is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:52 am
  #214  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by mia
The list of exclusions is fairly long. I would ask them to reconcile the arithmetic, in writing:



https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/i...Conditions.pdf
Originally Posted by toofast
I just re-calculated, and I think they have excluded around $188 of your purchases to arrive at that cashback figure.

Is there something from your spending of about that amount that might have been reasonably excluded?

Also, on your statement it should show the breakdown of the 1.5% and 1% cashbacks. What are those figures?
You guys cracked the code. I did in fact buy a discounted wireless prepaid card for $176. Removing that charge the statement balance would be 1913.58, which hit with .01 and .015 and rounded independently does net $48. Never would have thought that buying a third party gift card would be disallowed. I do this fairly often to top of my mobile service at a discount. I guess going forward I will not be using this card for any gift card purchase.
mia and ptatohed like this.
FlawlessVictory is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:39 am
  #215  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: CMH
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
You guys cracked the code. I did in fact buy a discounted wireless prepaid card for $176. Removing that charge the statement balance would be 1913.58, which hit with .01 and .015 and rounded independently does net $48. Never would have thought that buying a third party gift card would be disallowed. I do this fairly often to top of my mobile service at a discount. I guess going forward I will not be using this card for any gift card purchase.
I'm glad we got to the bottom of this, and also a useful data point for what's not accepted.
toofast is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:31 am
  #216  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts: 49,019
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory
....buy a discounted wireless prepaid card ....
Where did you purchase it? Was it the only item on the transaction? (This information may help us understand what their system can "see".)
mia is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:05 am
  #217  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by mia
Where did you purchase it? Was it the only item on the transaction? (This information may help us understand what their system can "see".)
Single transaction from Kroger giftcards online.
mia likes this.
FlawlessVictory is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.