Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Alliant CU VISA, 3% cash 1st yr, then 2.5% (Capped). Fee waived 1st year.

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:21 am

I was turned down for the credit card. Too many inquiries, blah, blah, blah........

I'll wait a couple of months and apply again.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Good catch. Many considered this an overseas alt Citi DoubleCash type, which it seems isn't.

Alliant seems to be overly caution and the a la carte type of bank. They seem to now want to make big waves with 2.5% cashback, which is aimed as competition for the big banks.
Originally Posted by ddallas
Is Alliant willing to dedicate resources to patrol M$ in general (hard to do without level 3 data, for in-store purchases anyhow) and how aggressive will they be towards our hobby in general?
My guess is they may be very aggressive because they are a conservative CU.
Alliant has been my primary bank for years. I would say that these statements are accurate - they're a very conservative CU, and tend to be very aggressive regarding things like MS (I have no experience with MS specifically, but they're aggressive about similar things). I wouldn't expect to get cash back on VGC purchases, and I wouldn't be shocked if you get shut down after a few of them.

FWIW, if you do get this card and they create a checking account for you too, you may want to try it out - they consistently have some of the highest checking and savings interest rates on the market. You can create your own additional checking/savings accounts through their online banking platform.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
They automatically create a Savings Account for you and deposit a free $5.00 when you become a member.

What credit limits were you all able to get?

I was told $25k is the max for new customers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:40 pm

Anyone that had a checking account shutdown with Alliant successfully get a card? Shut me down last year due to MS, but wondering if credit card is a different division...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone that had a checking account shutdown with Alliant successfully get a card? Shut me down last year due to MS, but wondering if credit card is a different division...
You need to be a member of the credit union to get the card - so you'd have to go through that process and get approved for a checking account.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

For anyone wondering... the card cannot be paid via Walmart billpay "Visa" biller. Wasn't planning to do much billpay on this card, but tried it out this morning (for science). Invalid account number.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by gm9928
I was turned down for the credit card. Too many inquiries, blah, blah, blah........

I'll wait a couple of months and apply again.
A couple of months isn't going to make a difference, I wouldn't even bother applying again until after your inquiries have aged at least a year.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
You need to be a member of the credit union to get the card - so you'd have to go through that process and get approved for a checking account.
I'm already a member. It's how I got the checking account which was subsequently shutdown due to MS.

I'm thinking they must have closed my membership when they shut down the checking as I can't even do a reset using my member id and DOB.

I don't see why one need a checking account though. It appears you can do statement credits.

Last edited by cdog999; Apr 10, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:23 am
jyx

i received a letter with pre-approved invitation. I already have a few cards with 2% (+) cashback. Did some calculations. With $59 annual fee, I have to spent > $11800 to really benefit from extra 0.5%. (Of course, I can only keep the card for the first year. ). I think I will pass
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:25 pm

Was anyone turned down by Alliant for having a very low (or zero) utilization?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Was anyone turned down by Alliant for having a very low (or zero) utilization?
My utilization (on 150k+ combined CL) is always between 0-1% and was instantly approved with the phone agent when card first came out.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:51 pm

Anyone tried doing 50K+ a month yet and can report back with your results?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
My utilization (on 150k+ combined CL) is always between 0-1% and was instantly approved with the phone agent when card first came out.
Thanks for the DP.

Have you started to use it for MS, do you plan on ramping MS up?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone tried doing 50K+ a month yet and can report back with your results?
No wonder you keep getting shutdown.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
In fact talking about ANY individual card and MS is asking for trouble, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.