Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
In what way is the concept outdated? I was denied by Citi last Fall due to too many HPs. Not even "accounts opened" as I also had a couple of apps denied by other banks due to technical reasons, which put my HPs in 6 months over the generous limit that Citi typically gives me. I waited things out until my HPs/6 dropped much lower, and then easily got approved by first US, and then Barclays, both of which are known to be stricter on apps than Citi. Sure you do need to understand the rules of an app, whether it's 5/24, 24 months, 8/65 or whatever. But too many HPs might mean your app doesn't even get checked for those rules, it just gets denied outright for too many HPs.

And I totally don't understand what you mean when you say about something being "risky" with some banks, and never working with others. What's risky?
You misunderstand. The concept of trying to merge pulls (by applying for more than one card "at the same time") is outdated, because lots of banks at which one technique or another for merging pulls used to work no longer works.

Happy was not saying that wanting to minimize your pulls is outdated, just that trying to apply for two cards "at once" from the same bank, as the means to minimize pulls, is likely to backfire more and more, and for that reason is outdated.

What you need to do instead is to do some prioritizing of which cards you apply for. Don't apply for a low value card just because you think you can do it on the same pull as the high value card, because you probably can't any more. So only apply for the high-value card.

Banks keep implementing more and more "anti-churning" measures all the time. Ignore that fact at your own peril.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You misunderstand. The concept of trying to merge pulls (by applying for more than one card "at the same time") is outdated, because lots of banks at which one technique or another for merging pulls used to work no longer works.

Happy was not saying that wanting to minimize your pulls is outdated, just that trying to apply for two cards "at once" from the same bank, as the means to minimize pulls, is likely to backfire more and more, and for that reason is outdated.

What you need to do instead is to do some prioritizing of which cards you apply for. Don't apply for a low value card just because you think you can do it on the same pull as the high value card, because you probably can't any more. So only apply for the high-value card.

Banks keep implementing more and more "anti-churning" measures all the time. Ignore that fact at your own peril.
Exactly.

Thank you for the elaboration.

It is no different from when the Apporama was the rage and then it no longer offered any advantage but actually backfired. The landscape changes, so "Ignore that fact at your own peril."
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:52 am

Well, if that's what the OP meant, I totally agree.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Called into cancel a card (is there another way to do this?) and was asked, 'did you just apply to get the points and cancel the card?' Anyone else got asked this question?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by daprophecy
Called into cancel a card (is there another way to do this?) and was asked, 'did you just apply to get the points and cancel the card?' Anyone else got asked this question?
Calling in is the only way to cancel.

I've never heard of anyone being asked that. Had you had the account open for just a couple months? I usually wait at least 6 months before closing.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:22 am

I'm not sure if this is an anomaly but i got approved for alaska personal visa signature yesterday with just 2K credit limit. I called recon to confirm that it is visa signature and not platinum and the rep was surprised as well. The card is showing as visa signature on my online boa account today
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG preferred, AA, United
Originally Posted by muji
Calling in is the only way to cancel.

I've never heard of anyone being asked that. Had you had the account open for just a couple months? I usually wait at least 6 months before closing.
I opened it in the beginning of Feb. So about 5 months. I guess too soon? So are most people only getting cards twice a year? I used to get every 3 months when you could have multiple cards on your account
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:49 am

How hard is it to get a business card from Boa (never got a boa card before)? Is it as easy as Amex business cards? Also, does anyone know how long this offer will last w/the companion fare? Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
How hard is it to get a business card from Boa (never got a boa card before)? Is it as easy as Amex business cards?
Assuming you have no actual business and answer the questions that way (0 years in business, minimum employees, business name same as your name, business address same as your address, $0 business income to date, etc), it's about as easy, except the form is a bit more difficult to fill out. The question about Sole Proprietorship comes at the end, and so one or two questions that don't make much sense for Sole Proprietorship come before that. Also, there's a question about whether you want your account one way or another way (I forget the exact terms), and if you select the wrong option, it'll be a bit more confusing because your annual fee and such may be split between your card account and your Corporate account, rather than everything being in the card account. (I always figure out how to answer that question "correctly" myself, but one person up thread got it wrong and was confused by fees being split between two accounts or something like that.)

At BofA, like at Citi, but unlike at Amex, the moment you open a business card, it opens an "umbrella" account (in case you're going to have employee cards) which BofA calls the Corporate Account (and which Citi calls the Master Account). I've never seen that at Amex, so I presume Amex waits until (if) you request employee cards to create something like that.

The reason I concentrated on those answers above is because BofA may be more likely than Amex do demand proof if you give any answer other than those (proof of business address if you give one, proof of business income if you claim it, etc), but neither bank is likely to ask for those things with those specific answers, because asking for those things makes no sense with those specific answers.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 11, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:01 pm

At BofA, like at Citi, but unlike at Amex, the moment you open a business card, it opens an "umbrella" account (in case you're going to have employee cards) which BofA calls the Corporate Account (and which Citi calls the Master Account). I've never seen that at Amex, so I presume Amex waits until (if) you request employee cards to create something like that.
Do you have to insist on closing the Corporate Account when you close out your business credit card before applying for a new business credit card?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
How hard is it to get a business card from Boa (never got a boa card before)? Is it as easy as Amex business cards? Also, does anyone know how long this offer will last w/the companion fare? Thanks.
Perhaps the second part of your question wasn't related to the first but the free companion fare offer is only for the personal card, IIRC.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:49 am

My Scenario

I would like the opinion of folks here on what I am planning to do :
We plan to take a trip to CA around Aug last week and was hoping to use the alaska credit offer for this. We have one BOA ( non AS ) card that we have had for a long time with about 25K CL. This was actually one that came with MBNA and was taken over by BOA . We haven't applied for a credit card for a few years now. I am planning to apply for AS personal card today and hope to meet the 1K spend requirement almost immediately by buying 1K worth of gift cards. My questions:
1) How soon can I expect the cards ? Can they be expedited ?
2) Can I generate a Virtual account no and use it immediately after approval ?
3) Do we have enough time to get the companion ticket and be able to use it for our trip in Aug last week ?

Cheers
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Do you have to insist on closing the Corporate Account when you close out your business credit card before applying for a new business credit card?
I didn't have to 'insist'. When closing any business cards, I always say "please make sure all accounts are closed including the master or corporate account." It doesn't hurt to remind them.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by flytiger001
I would like the opinion of folks here on what I am planning to do :
We plan to take a trip to CA around Aug last week and was hoping to use the alaska credit offer for this. We have one BOA ( non AS ) card that we have had for a long time with about 25K CL. This was actually one that came with MBNA and was taken over by BOA . We haven't applied for a credit card for a few years now. I am planning to apply for AS personal card today and hope to meet the 1K spend requirement almost immediately by buying 1K worth of gift cards. My questions:
1) How soon can I expect the cards ? Can they be expedited ?
2) Can I generate a Virtual account no and use it immediately after approval ?
3) Do we have enough time to get the companion ticket and be able to use it for our trip in Aug last week ?

Cheers
1. There was one time that a message saying "... want to use the card now?" when myapplication was instantly approved online. It gave me the card number (and expiration date?) right there. The fastest experience I've ever had and, unfortunately, have never seen this again. Most of the time, I had to wait for 4 - 7 business days to get the card. If I wanted the card sooner, I'd call the customer service and ask them to expedite it. Most of the time, they were able to do it without problems. One time the rep told me he couldn't help because the system hasn't generated the card number.
2. Citi can but I don't know about BoA. Call them.
3. One prior FT comment said something like - Companion certificate code posted at the same time as the sign up bonus. That is, once you complete minimum spend, it'll be the Sunday after the statement is generated, or possibly the Sunday after that.

Good luck!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I'm not sure if this is an anomaly but i got approved for alaska personal visa signature yesterday with just 2K credit limit. I called recon to confirm that it is visa signature and not platinum and the rep was surprised as well. The card is showing as visa signature on my online boa account today
Can you write back when you actually get the 30k miles? This is very interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.