Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by muji
Myself, I lower all my cards down to that $1,000 amount (since I do not need higher credit limits) - except for one or two cards that I leave at $5,000 each, in case I ever might need to charge up to that amount on a card.
Ahh, I guess if you don't need the high limits, and you don't care about it for your credit score, it makes it nice and simple.

Anyways, I'll let you guys know how it goes after I lower my limits and apply for the card.

While I am here. Does anyone know why it's now a bad idea to apply for 2 BoA cards at the same time to merge the hard pull? I've seen a few different people reference this, but I do not understand why. I mean is it as simple as people doing this now are consistently getting rejected by Bank of America for BOTH cards?! One would think the first app could go through like normal if you're worthy for the card, and at worst the second app is denied... I must be missing something.

I wanted to apply for the Alaska card (first) and the Virgin Atlantic card (second), but not if the Virgin card is going to mess my chances up for the one I really want, Alaska.

Last edited by jiaogulan; Aug 23, 2017 at 11:31 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:54 pm

Can I use up my BoA Alaska Card offers this way?

I got a mailing offer from BoA 2 months ago and I got another offer today.

Can I apply for the card today with one offer and apply 2 months later with the other letter?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I fly Alaska pretty regularly (I'm MVP Gold) and about 3 years ago I had an Alaska Airlines credit card. I had the card for about 3 months but canceled it because I don't like BofA (their automatic payment option was working at the time so I missed a payment by a few days and they wouldn't give me a courtesy credit on the late fees so I canceled).

Anyway, I applied for a card yesterday but was not automatically approved. I called the reconsideration line today and they reviewed my file but declined me saying that I have enough credit already that isn't being fully utilized and that I have a few delinquencies.

I have identityguard so I'm pretty well aware of my credit score and delinquencies. I also got an alert on the credit pull yesterday (Experian) and my credit score on Experian is 776.

I didn't apply for much this year but back in Jan I had 2 inquiries for an Amex and Chase card (Chase Sapphire Reserve was approved, Amex I didn't follow through with because they were being a PITA) and in May I bought a 3rd home (townhouse) so there was an inquiry for my mortgage (approved).

As for late payments, I had one in 2015 but that's it in the last 7 years. It was 30 days late on a Cap One card that I don't have anymore (cancelled it).

I don't have too many cards and I do charge a lot per month (usually ranges from around $5k-$15k/month all personal spending - high months are if I travel with the family on vacation, etc.). Sometimes I'll get approved for $30k and I'll tell them to lower it to $10k, etc.

I have the following credit cards:

American Express (SPG): Credit Limit: $31k (balance is usually around $3k/month) - they recently increased this limit a few months ago

Chase (Southwest): Credit Limit: $10k (balance is usually around $500/mo)

Chase Sapphire Reserve: Credit Limit: $34k (balance is usually around $8k/mo)

Citibank: Credit Limit: $10k (balance is usually $0)

Should I lower my credit limits on the Amex and Chase Sapphire Reserve maybe to $20k each? I do sometimes spend $15k in a month on these cards.

As for income, my income is around $500k/year.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Ahh, I guess if you don't need the high limits, and you don't care about it for your credit score, it makes it nice and simple.

Anyways, I'll let you guys know how it goes after I lower my limits and apply for the card.

While I am here. Does anyone know why it's now a bad idea to apply for 2 BoA cards at the same time to merge the hard pull? I've seen a few different people reference this, but I do not understand why. I mean is it as simple as people doing this now are consistently getting rejected by Bank of America for BOTH cards?! One would think the first app could go through like normal if you're worthy for the card, and at worst the second app is denied... I must be missing something.

I wanted to apply for the Alaska card (first) and the Virgin Atlantic card (second), but not if the Virgin card is going to mess my chances up for the one I really want, Alaska.
First, they do not necessarily process the apps in the order you apply, if they process neither of them instantly.

You'd have to apply for the first, and see if you're approved "instantly", to know how safe it is to apply for the second. If they don't approve your first "instantly", you may want to call in to see if you can move it quickly (no guarantee). If they can't even work on it then, chances are they won't start on it until the next day, but if you apply for another card right after that, that could be approved "instantly" even if the first one wasn't. At which point the first card you applied for might be denied (because it would actually be the second card processed), or even worse, approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

And that's the other issue: Unless you're applying only for a business Alaska card, your biggest risk is not getting denied, but instead the biggest risk is getting approved for a tiny credit limit and thus the Platinum card with just a couple thousand miles as the bonus. (The business card does not have a Platinum variant, so with the business card it's simply, you're either approved for the full bonus or denied, no in-between "purgatory" like possible with personal card.)

So you have to decide, what's more important, combining pulls or getting approved for an Alaska card with the full signup bonus? You can't have both priorities at the same time (unless you're lucky enough to get an "instant" approval for a Signature card on your first card application, or perhaps if you get the Alaska business card instead of personal card).
jiaogulan likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rock72
Anyway, I applied for a card yesterday but was not automatically approved. I called the reconsideration line today and they reviewed my file but declined me saying that I have enough credit already that isn't being fully utilized and that I have a few delinquencies.
Lots of people get approved despite having even more unutilized credit at other banks and way less income. I would think therefore that your biggest issues are:

1. No history with BofA other than a late payment followed by a cancellation.

2. The late payments in general.

Think about it. They look you up within their system and all they see is a late payment followed by a card cancellation. Then they look at your credit report and see the Cap One delinquency after that. To them, that smells like a "pattern" and therefore a "risk".

And they see both of these in the last 3 years or so. So that smells to them like "increasing risk".

Also, these two items may be making them look at your credit report much more carefully than with most other people, and see your pattern of cancelling cards, and figure you'll just do that with this next card too.
jiaogulan likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
ah ok.

i was a bofa customer (checking account) for about 20 years. 3 years ago when i got the alaska visa and they annoyed me i canceled both the visa card and the bank account so i have nothing on bofa now. ironically enough i actually worked for bofa for a short time (company i was working with got acquired by bofa so i was an employee and had a free prima checking account) but i left that company about 6 months later.

the single late payment was a 30 day late payment. i didn't think it'd be such a big deal.

i do have some other cards that have been obtained and canceled in the last few years though (citibank 100k card was done like 3X, etc.).

oh well.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
First, they do not necessarily process the apps in the order you apply, if they process neither of them instantly.

You'd have to apply for the first, and see if you're approved "instantly", to know how safe it is to apply for the second. If they don't approve your first "instantly", you may want to call in to see if you can move it quickly (no guarantee). If they can't even work on it then, chances are they won't start on it until the next day, but if you apply for another card right after that, that could be approved "instantly" even if the first one wasn't. At which point the first card you applied for might be denied (because it would actually be the second card processed), or even worse, approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

And that's the other issue: Unless you're applying only for a business Alaska card, your biggest risk is not getting denied, but instead the biggest risk is getting approved for a tiny credit limit and thus the Platinum card with just a couple thousand miles as the bonus. (The business card does not have a Platinum variant, so with the business card it's simply, you're either approved for the full bonus or denied, no in-between "purgatory" like possible with personal card.)

So you have to decide, what's more important, combining pulls or getting approved for an Alaska card with the full signup bonus? You can't have both priorities at the same time (unless you're lucky enough to get an "instant" approval for a Signature card on your first card application, or perhaps if you get the Alaska business card instead of personal card).
Beautiful, this makes perfect sense. 100% my priority is getting the proper Alaska card (personal) with the full bonus, so I will make sure to approach it the right way.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:17 am

Does lowering a Visa Signature credit limit below the $5000 threshold affect the delivery of the anniversary companion cert? I lowered my credit to $3000, hit anniversary few weeks ago, and have not received a companion code yet.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coffee18
Does lowering a Visa Signature credit limit below the $5000 threshold affect the delivery of the anniversary companion cert? I lowered my credit to $3000, hit anniversary few weeks ago, and have not received a companion code yet.
No. I lowered my CL to $1500 and then got a companion cert later (closer to annual fee time) showing in my Alaska Airlines account.

However, since the annual fee is later than the anniversary (13 or 14 months after applying), the companion cert may be later than the anniversary too.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No. I lowered my CL to $1500 and then got a companion cert later (closer to annual fee time) showing in my Alaska Airlines account.

However, since the annual fee is later than the anniversary (13 or 14 months after applying), the companion cert may be later than the anniversary too.
Great DP. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Approved for third card

Spend $30K on first - have had it for 3 years, $15K on second - have had it for 1 year. Pay off monthly. Applied and was instantly approved but figured it would be declined later however woke up to an email that it was in the mail a few days later, and sure enough logged into BofA and there it was. Happy to have another companion fare - free this time around - and another 30,000 miles, but will need to pare back now in hopes of reapplying in a year.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:24 pm

RE: Companion Fare on Alaskan Airlines

I have not signed up for this card yet and usually the buy 1 ticket get 1 50% off or discounted offers don't help since I almost always travel solo, however in January I might be traveling with a family member on Alaskan.

If I sign up now and and spend the $1k right away, do you get the companion fare offer immediately or do you have to wait awhile??

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JustineG
I have not signed up for this card yet and usually the buy 1 ticket get 1 50% off or discounted offers don't help since I almost always travel solo, however in January I might be traveling with a family member on Alaskan.

If I sign up now and and spend the $1k right away, do you get the companion fare offer immediately or do you have to wait awhile??

Thanks
It should post soon after the first statement where you reach $1000 closes, usually within a week, so if you applied & were approved now, you'd be looking at around the beginning of October for your companion fare code to post to your Alaska (no "n") account.

Note that for some unknown reason, companion codes and the initial bonus/monthly miles posted slowly in August for myself and others.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
I think I messed up.

I recently applied for a Alaska business card. I got it Jan 2017, met the spend, lowered my credit limit to $1k and then canceled mid-July. When I was looking at my spreadsheet, I accidentally read the cancel date as January, not July. My application went to pending, I do not think my odds are good. It was about 5 days ago, no news.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by giesen5
I think I messed up...My application went to pending, I do not think my odds are good.
You might yet be approved. You've not been flat out denied, even after 5 days. If you have an existing Bank of America credit card account, you can go online, and if you've already been approved, the account will show up there.

More than once I've been approved for a card after applying just a month or so after closing the same type of card. Everyone's case is different. Hope things work out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.