Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Once the bonus posts for a Biz card, is it safe to cancel the card, or should you keep it open for the full year? Interested in Biz, but would we interested in personal answer too.

Credit limit has been reduced to minimum on all cards.
It depends on when and if you want to get another card of the same type.

Many datapoints suggest most people need to cancel one personal card to be able to get another one. I'm not sure of the timing, but I am sure of the order of events. (I haven't done the personal card myself in a while, because I'm trying to stay under 5/24. Personal AS cards count against Chase 5/24, business AS card don't.)

There's not enough datapoints on biz cards to know how likely this is to be necessary. In my case, I just assumed it is, and cancelled a month or so after the miles hit my AS account. Then waited a few months (I was busy with other offers) and opened another one.

There are also theories that how risky this is depends on the BofA side on how far you push it (trying to be "fast" with 2 cards may be riskier than trying to be "fast" with just 1 card, I dunno), and then that on the Alaska Airlines side it's better to have a mix of miles earned in different ways, not just BofA card postings ad infinitum: take an Alaska paid flight now and then, and/or use Alaska Airlines Dining now and then, and/or use Alaska Airlines Shopping now and then, anything so it doesn't look to Alaska like the only way you're earning AS miles is by endlessly churning the BofA cards.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
If I refer someone, will referral link have 30K + 100 SC (same as in wiki)?
I don't think the AS cards even have a way to refer people like Chase/Amex does.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I see the same question being asked over and over again. So please add this to the wiki or something:

1. Lower the CL to $5000 immediately when you are approved for the card.

2. Pay off the card balance and lower the CL to $200 after you spend $1k, the $75 AF and $100 Stmt Credit posts, AND the 30,000 bonus posts IN your Alaska MileagePlan account. (There is a small risk of product changing to Platinum when lowering below $5000)

3. Cancel card or product change to BofA Travel Rewards at least 2 days before applying for another AS card. You will NOT get approved for another AS card if you currently have a personal card open. This is the NEW RULE as of recently and it is strictly enforced, there is NO WAY around it. You will be automatically declined, and recon will also decline you, even if your credit score is over 800+ and you have a Merrill Lynch Wealth Management relationship with the bank, recon will only approve you after they no longer see an existing AS card in possession. No credit pull will be done again at recon if within 30 days.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by cce5858
3. Cancel card or product change to BofA Travel Rewards at least 2 days before applying for another AS card. You will NOT get approved for another AS card if you currently have a personal card open. This is the NEW RULE as of recently and it is strictly enforced, there is NO WAY around it. You will be automatically declined, and recon will also decline you, even if your credit score is over 800+ and you have a Merrill Lynch Wealth Management relationship with the bank, recon will only approve you after they no longer see an existing AS card in possession. No credit pull will be done again at recon if within 30 days.
Absolutely false. I successfully opened 1 AS and 1M+ on the same day, a couple of months ago with an open personal card. MrsOps5 was approved today for an AS with an open AS personal - it wasn't instant approval, but within 2 hours without calling in.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ops5
Absolutely false. I successfully opened 1 AS and 1M+ on the same day, a couple of months ago with an open personal card. MrsOps5 was approved today for an AS with an open AS personal - it wasn't instant approval, but within 2 hours without calling in.
Everyone knew back then one could have multiple AS cards. 5 months ago I had 6 AS cards at the same time.....

I wrote "as of recently". The rule came in to effect around March, and is definitely in full effect now. It is a hard rule just like 5/24. And yes, I confirmed this with 5 different credit analysts, both in the preferred division and regular. No dice. I find it hard to believe that your wife got approved for one today with an existing one, she may have had a platinum version, or a Business version, or it is somehow not linked to her online ID, or they may have closed the existing one when they approved of the new one. Check in a few days.

I spoke to multiple credit Analysts and their managers, and each of them all said that the system is now set up to automatically decline if the client has the existing product, and analysts all have a new memo to not approve during recon if that account is indeed active. They also said they are now keeping count of the amount of cards one person has opened and closed. They knew that I had opened 20 AS cards in total, and can even see the exact spend patterns and ages of all of them when closed.

Last edited by cce5858; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:43 pm

2. Pay off the card balance and lower the CL to $200 after you spend $1k, the $75 AF and $100 Stmt Credit posts, AND the 30,000 bonus posts IN your Alaska MileagePlan account. (There is a small risk of product changing to Platinum when lowering below $5000)

When did you lower your CL to $200 ?

I tried several times and was told $5K was as low as I could go on the personal and Business Card
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
When did you lower your CL to $200 ?

I tried several times and was told $5K was as low as I could go on the personal and Business Card
I always lower to $5k before I even receive the card, because they always give something silly like $18k or $12k. Lower to $200 (the absolute minimum allowed) after your bonus has posted in your AS account and you have paid the card off in full (obviously after the $75 fee and $100 credit).

HUCA and get someone to do it. Heard it probably once. Hang up call again and they will usually do it. Then they will give you some BS like the CL decrease will change the card to the platinum version. Well it doesn't, and even if it does, you already have the 30,000 so the card is just awaiting cancellation anyways. In the past, this is when I would just straight up cancel the card and reapply, sometimes right after the first eBill date, but now it is WAY harder to get approved. So just hold on to it for a while and let it age.

Last edited by cce5858; Apr 21, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:24 am

Has anybody try canceling AS Biz as early as 4 months after getting the card? Thinking of getting another one, and based on recent occurrence, it's increasingly difficult to apply for a second AS card without 'eliminating' the first

AS Personal is an option too. But as I have to freeze EX before applying (no way in hell BOA will give me a card if they see the # inquiries on my EX), I will have to go through recon since app cant be approved without me calling in. At the same time, I am *trying* to get below 5/24...

And I wonder why PC is being advocated as well? Doesnt PC (to a new card) means an additional card counted against you under the 5/24 rule? This is the reason I have not yet PC anything but just straight out cancel...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:07 am

I was instantly approved two days ago for a personal AS card having one currently. I have had the current card for a couple years, and this is my first application in that time for any card. So it doesn't seem to be impossible though I understand my situation isn't typical for many posters here.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by KyBrewer
I was instantly approved two days ago for a personal AS card having one currently. I have had the current card for a couple years, and this is my first application in that time for any card. So it doesn't seem to be impossible though I understand my situation isn't typical for many posters here.
Was approved for my first personal AS card with 15k CL on 4/12 and for the second 4/20 with 11 CL. Both instant approvals.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
I always lower to $5k before I even receive the card, because they always give something silly like $18k or $12k. Lower to $200 (the absolute minimum allowed) after your bonus has posted in your AS account and you have paid the card off in full (obviously after the $75 fee and $100 credit).

HUCA and get someone to do it. Heard it probably once. Hang up call again and they will usually do it. Then they will give you some BS like the CL decrease will change the card to the platinum version. Well it doesn't, and even if it does, you already have the 30,000 so the card is just awaiting cancellation anyways. In the past, this is when I would just straight up cancel the card and reapply, sometimes right after the first eBill date, but now it is WAY harder to get approved. So just hold on to it for a while and let it age.
Why reduce CL to $200?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:59 pm

Do you HUCA to get it down to $200? Because I have tried a few times, and everytime the CSR says it's a Visa Sig card so CL must be a min of $5,000 blah blah
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Do you HUCA to get it down to $200? Because I have tried a few times, and everytime the CSR says it's a Visa Sig card so CL must be a min of $5,000 blah blah
Same here, I called 4 times over 3 months, the 4th time was today. The lowest I could go on the personal or Bus was $5k

No big deal as I just started getting BOA cards and got the AS personal, As Business and BOA travel rewards in the past few months.

I will keep the Travel rewards card ( and add a Business Version) as it has NAF but want to use the other cards for 10 months ( a purchase here and there) before I cancel to build a relationship with BOA.

AS Personal is an option too. But as I have to freeze EX before applying (no way in hell BOA will give me a card if they see the # inquiries on my EX), I will have to go through recon since app cant be approved without me calling in. At the same time, I am *trying* to get below 5/24...
I had 9 apps in the previous 6 months before I opened my first ever BOA card. I got instant approval for the AS Personal and had to call in for the Business in mid Dec 2016. I opened 3 more cards at different banks and then got IA for the BOA travel rewards card in late Feb 2017.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 23, 2017 at 2:43 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:39 pm

Of the 10 cards I have had, I had probably had to HUCA twice. Usually they do it without any issues, but the 2 that told me the $5000 BS, one even told me that the points will be taken away from me. Of course I laughed and called again and then no issues. I never call the number on the back of the card though, I usually just call the wealth management card services and don't have to type in the number and a bunch of prompts.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I had 9 apps in the previous 6 months before I opened my first ever BOA card. I got instant approval for the AS Personal and had to call in for the Business in mid Dec 2016. I opened 3 more cards at different banks and then got IA for the BOA travel rewards card in late Feb 2017.
AS Biz pull EQ for me. So perhaps I can try getting IA without calling in... Just need to cancel my AS Biz first and wondering what BS excuse I need to provide

Of the 10 cards I have had, I had probably had to HUCA twice. Usually they do it without any issues, but the 2 that told me the $5000 BS, one even told me that the points will be taken away from me. Of course I laughed and called again and then no issues. I never call the number on the back of the card though, I usually just call the wealth management card services and don't have to type in the number and a bunch of prompts.
Good point. Now that you mention it, the one time I had success in lowering CL to $200 is bc I call the 'wealth management' department. Thanks for the reminder ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.