Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by muji
Many times I have closed an Alaska card, then have reapplied just 4-5 days later and have been approved for a new card.
That is great news. Have you done this recently?

Another question - how long should the card stay opened before canceling? 6 months?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Ok so haven't read up on this thread recently, but is consensus now that if you have 1 Alaska card open, you won't get another, or can that still be bypassed if you get a rep who approves it. Wife got 2 BOA cards 3+ months ago (Alaska and Amtrak), and today applied over phone and was approved for Merrill+. Figured might as well go for another Alaska, but then noticed the comment about them not approving it if you have 1 open. Her account went to pending, didn't have her call yet.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Ok so haven't read up on this thread recently, but is consensus now that if you have 1 Alaska card open, you won't get another, or can that still be bypassed if you get a rep who approves it. Wife got 2 BOA cards 3+ months ago (Alaska and Amtrak), and today applied over phone and was approved for Merrill+. Figured might as well go for another Alaska, but then noticed the comment about them not approving it if you have 1 open. Her account went to pending, didn't have her call yet.
Exact same thing happened to me as well. You can now only have 1 personal Alaska and 1 business Alaska card. And it also takes 48 hours for it to show as closed to the credit analysts. I forgot to close my first one, only lowered credit limit to 200, applied for second one and instantly denied. Called in to reconsideration and immediately denied due to having the "same product open"
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:55 pm

Something strange recently with BofA. Applied for Alaska personal, denied, recon also denied. Applied for Alaska Business, denied, recon also denied. Then applied for BofA Travel Rewards today, instant denied, recon also denied. FICO is 815, have BofA accounts and Merryl Lynch accounts with them since high school in 2009. They said they don't look at FICO for approvals, and that I had 13 inquiries in the past year. Also said I have too many accounts newly opened less than a year old. Not sure if I am the only one here hitting a wall with BofA.

Last approval was the BofA Personal with $100 credit opened in January 13, 2017. That one was instantly approved for $9000. I hit spend the first day, paid it off right when the $100 credit posted the following week and immediatly lowered the limit to $200.

Last edited by cce5858; Apr 9, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cce5858
Something strange recently with BofA. Applied for Alaska personal, denied, recon also denied. Applied for Alaska Business, denied, recon also denied. Then applied for BofA Travel Rewards today, instant denied, recon also denied. FICO is 815, have BofA accounts and Merryl Lynch accounts with them since 2008. They said they don't look at FICO for approvals, and that I had 13 inquiries in the past year. Also said I have too many accounts newly opened less than a year old. Not sure if I am the only one here hitting a wall with BofA.

Last approval was the BofA Personal with $100 credit opened in January 13, 2017. That one was instantly approved for $9000. I hit spend the first day, paid it off right when the $100 credit posted the following week and immediatly lowered the limit to $200.
But when did you close it? BofA no longer approves you for another personal AS card if you still have the previous open (or if you closed it "too recently", as in the past day or two).

So if you still have the one from January 13 open (or closed it the day before you applied for the new one), that's why you were denied for the personal.

And trying for 3 cards, one at a time? That's 3 inquiries I bet. Which just makes it worse for you the next time! Why so desperate to get any card with BofA so quickly (I understand AS, but BofA Travel Rewards?). Each try would have had less chance of success because it counted the additional pull from the previous try!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But when did you close it? BofA no longer approves you for another personal AS card if you still have the previous open (or if you closed it "too recently", as in the past day or two).

So if you still have the one from January 13 open (or closed it the day before you applied for the new one), that's why you were denied for the personal.

And trying for 3 cards, one at a time? That's 3 inquiries I bet. Which just makes it worse for you the next time! Why so desperate to get any card with BofA so quickly (I understand AS, but BofA Travel Rewards?). Each try would have had less chance of success because it counted the additional pull from the previous try!
Ok so not sure how but my wife got her 2nd personal one approved by calling up, even though she still has one she opened 3 months ago, and they gave her a really a really large credit line too, even though for the Merrill+ they had to take $5K from her first Alaska card. Not sure why if others aren't getting approved, but not going to jinx it. So it must still be up to the analyst. Or she got lucky.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:39 pm

I haven't closed my first one yet. Will do that first week of April the moment my statement closes and the points post on Sunday. I know, stupid and too rushed of me. All 3 applications was 2 inquiries (Personal x1 and Business x 1). The Travel Rewards was using the same TransUnion report originally pulled for the Alaska card number 2. The reason I applied for that card was to have one card with no fee I can keep forever, since one thing the Credit Analyst said was I did not have any card with them with a history they could review.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by giesen5
Have you done this recently?
Another question - how long should the card stay opened before canceling? 6 months?
Yes, I did so just a few weeks back. As to when to cancel, different people handle this differently. I used to alway keep my cards open for 9-10 months, but recently I have been cancelling some cards earlier, after about 6-7 months - in order to get into position to apply for new ones of the same type as soon as possible.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cce5858
I haven't closed my first one yet. Will do that first week of April the moment my statement closes and the points post on Sunday. I know, stupid and too rushed of me. All 3 applications was 2 inquiries (Personal x1 and Business x 1). The Travel Rewards was using the same TransUnion report originally pulled for the Alaska card number 2. The reason I applied for that card was to have one card with no fee I can keep forever, since one thing the Credit Analyst said was I did not have any card with them with a history they could review.
Well, why don't you try to kill two birds with one stone (and zero pulls)? Instead of closing your current Alaska card in April, see if you can get it product converted to any no-fee card that BofA has. If you can, you won't have an Alaska card open, and without any pulls you'll have a no-fee BofA card that you can keep forever (using at least once a year for something small don't make sure they don't close it for "inactivity").

You may or may not have trouble getting it converted to a specific no-fee card, but hopefully if you just ask if you can get it converted to a no-fee card (not being more specific), they can offer you one or more options.

Plus that way the card will have 3 months more history (by April) than a new card you could apply for then. (The converted card will "inherit" the history of the card you converted from, at least to BofA itself, which is what matters most here.)

I'm lucky on that ground that I started with BofA back when they had hotel cards (with no AF), and then when they dropped all hotels I let my Choice Hotels card from BofA become some generic BofA card that earns absolutely nothing (but I don't care).

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:25 pm

I have difficulty getting Alaska BoA cards but my wife continues to have no issues regardless of her outstanding cards. She applied at the end of Feb with two existing personal cards and was instantly approved for her 3rd open card. Unless it's changed in the last month it's still possible to get a personal Alaska card with prior ones open. The only difference between us is that she has an open BoA checking account and I do not.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Can product changes or CL changes be requested online, or do you have to call? I see BoA online has a message center, but I don't see where I can compose a new message to them.
I'm pretty sure you have to call. The alternative used to be online chat, but BofA closed that down (at least for "mere mortals") sometime last year.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 21, 2017 at 3:36 pm Reason: previous response to other question was superseded by my post 179 below
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:14 pm

I'm pretty sure you have to call. The alternative used to be online chat, but BofA closed that down (at least for "mere mortals") sometime last year.
It closed down for Preferred Clients a few months after the general shutdown too, so now the only way for anyone to contact BOA is by calling. So no messages and no chat any longer. It's too bad, chat is always great and messages are a close 2nd. But I hate, HATE calling.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Can a Alaska card be PC'd ASAP after the miles post, or does it have to be open a year, similar to Chase?
See this post (in a thread in the Alaska Airlines forum):
and maybe look through that thread if you want more, but that post seems to say that someone was able to convert their personal AS to BofA Cash Rewards after 5 months, late last year. So I don't know if there's some minimum time after the card is opened before you can Product Convert, but certainly it does seem that BofA doesn't require everyone to wait a full year.

They also say they couldn't convert their business AS card, and I'm not surprised at that, since you can probably only convert one business card to another business card (not business to personal), and AFAIK BofA has very few other business cards.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:27 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.