Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:06 pm

I just called the number on the back of the card and lowered the limit on 2 recently opened AS personal cards to $200. Lady had no problem doing it.

Now I need to decide when I should close them. These were my only Alaska cards ever that were opened maybe little more than a month ago...points have already posted, $100 credit and companion passes received.

Got to open business card though...also do the whole process for SO.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
she may have had a platinum version, or a Business version, or it is somehow not linked to her online ID, or they may have closed the existing one when they approved of the new one. Check in a few days.
No, the existing and new are both Signature cards.
No, it's not a Business card.
Yes, they are both linked to her online ID.
She hasn't received the card yet, but both show in her online account. I'll update if the card doesn't show.

Originally Posted by KyBrewer
I was instantly approved two days ago for a personal AS card having one currently. I have had the current card for a couple years, and this is my first application in that time for any card. So it doesn't seem to be impossible though I understand my situation isn't typical for many posters here.
^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
I don't think the AS cards even have a way to refer people like Chase/Amex does.
You can refer through this link but dont know if applicant get statement credit or not.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...les/deals.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by vm81
I just called the number on the back of the card and lowered the limit on 2 recently opened AS personal cards to $200. Lady had no problem doing it.

Now I need to decide when I should close them. These were my only Alaska cards ever that were opened maybe little more than a month ago...points have already posted, $100 credit and companion passes received.

Got to open business card though...also do the whole process for SO.
Where do the companion passes post ?

I forgot all about them but doubt I will ever use them as we have so many miles.

We are planning Hawaii soon and I was told I could use the Companion pass to buy 2 R/T coach tickets and then upgrade both tickets to 1st class for 30K miles. If true that is something I would use the companion pass for.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 24, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Where do the companion passes post ?

I forgot all about them but doubt I will ever use them as we have so many miles.

We are panning Hawaii soon and I was told I could use the Companion pass to buy 2 R/T coach tickets and then upgrade both tickets to 1st class for 30K miles. If true that is something I would use the companion pass for.

Log on to your Alaska Airlines account. After you've signed in, click the down arrow next to your name in the top right corner. Click on "Discount and companion fare codes".
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by cce5858
3. Cancel card or product change to BofA Travel Rewards at least 2 days before applying for another AS card. You will NOT get approved for another AS card if you currently have a personal card open. This is the NEW RULE as of recently and it is strictly enforced, there is NO WAY around it. You will be automatically declined, and recon will also decline you, even if your credit score is over 800+ and you have a Merrill Lynch Wealth Management relationship with the bank, recon will only approve you after they no longer see an existing AS card in possession. No credit pull will be done again at recon if within 30 days.
Just trying to verify this statement (bolded and underlined above). If I had a Business and Personal AS, and cancelled the business card over a month ago, and go to try and get another business AS - I will be declined because I have a personal AS open?

Thank you...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:55 pm

My instantly-approved AS business card arrived today. I tried to add the card to my online account but couldn't find the function to do so. What am I missing? Or maybe it is supposed to be added automatically and I just need to wait?

A few comments posted in February indicated that they received a rejection letter two weeks after being instantly approved. Is the card not showing up on my online account a bad sign of 'rejection letter is on the way'?

Edited: Approximately 5 hours after activating the business card, it automatically appeared online. I'll wait for two weeks before using the card in case the lovely rejection letter shows up later.

Last edited by lw7878; Apr 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Just trying to verify this statement (bolded and underlined above). If I had a Business and Personal AS, and cancelled the business card over a month ago, and go to try and get another business AS - I will be declined because I have a personal AS open?

Thank you...
No. Having a personal card open is extremely likely to cause you to be denied for another personal card, and having a business card open may cause you to be denied for another business card (we don't have enough data points on business cards to be sure). But having a personal card open does not keep you from being approved for a business card or vice versa.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
Has anybody try canceling AS Biz as early as 4 months after getting the card?
I don't remember exactly, but I guess it was around 4 or 5 months (I did the spend "casually", I waited until shortly before the due date to make the last payment, then I waited for the statement that showed the last payment to post, and maybe waited a little bit after that.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
No. Having a personal card open is extremely likely to cause you to be denied for another personal card, and having a business card open may cause you to be denied for another business card (we don't have enough data points on business cards to be sure). But having a personal card open does not keep you from being approved for a business card or vice versa.
Thank you for the clarification sdsearch!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:18 pm

I have 3 personal AS opened in last year. 3rd one was touch to get which was around December 2016. I have not had Biz version of AS. How easy is it to get that one?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasmians
I have not had Biz version of AS. How easy is it to get that one?
It's hard to say. It was easy for me and for some others, not as easy for a couple others.

For starters, if you don't have a real business, don't pretend you do by making stuff up. Say your business name is your name, your business address is your address, your business phone is your phone, your business income is $0, years/months in business is 0, type of business sole proprietor, etc.

For more on applying for business cards (in case you've not done it at all before), please see this thread:
And I hope you've already lowered your credit limit on your existing personal AS cards. It's not clear if "too much" personal credit limit can affect business card approval or not. And it takes a little while for lowered credit limit to be updated within BofA's calculations. Oh, and don't ever cancel an AS card without lowering the credit limit first, because the credit limit remaining on a cancelled card can be locked up for a year or longer .
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Thanks. So, 2 AS personal card with 5k limit and one was changed to cash rewards card with 3k limit now. I'll call again to reduce limit of those 5k to $500 or so but was told that they can't lower than 5k because it is signature card.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's hard to say. It was easy for me and for some others, not as easy for a couple others.

For starters, if you don't have a real business, don't pretend you do by making stuff up. Say your business name is your name, your business address is your address, your business phone is your phone, your business income is $0, years/months in business is 0, type of business sole proprietor, etc.

For more on applying for business cards (in case you've not done it at all before), please see this thread:
And I hope you've already lowered your credit limit on your existing personal AS cards. It's not clear if "too much" personal credit limit can affect business card approval or not. And it takes a little while for lowered credit limit to be updated within BofA's calculations. Oh, and don't ever cancel an AS card without lowering the credit limit first, because the credit limit remaining on a cancelled card can be locked up for a year or longer .
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by jasmians
I have 3 personal AS opened in last year. 3rd one was touch to get which was around December 2016. I have not had Biz version of AS. How easy is it to get that one?
I got insta-approval for AS Biz, while holding 3 personal.

Do know that AS Biz pull a diff CB vs AS Personal
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:02 pm

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.