Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Before applying, please note
B of A's restrictions (2-3-4 rule, UPDATED: as of Sept 28,2019 possibly 3/12 for new customers and 7/12 for existing customers. See thread for ongoing discussion) on approving applications:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...24-months.html

Nestled in the terms and conditions of all of the personal Alaska Airlines credit card offers:
"This card will not be available to you if you currently have or have had the card in the preceding 24 month period. This does not apply to the business credit card product."

More info on the COMPANION FARE cert can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-fare-faq.html

This thread is a continuation from THIS discussion (2012-2016)
Concurrent discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...017-later.html

As additional resources for these cards, see the following threads in the Alaska Airlines forum
Please do not delete non working offers because sometimes they start working again. Instead move them to the prior offers section.

PERSONAL CARDS

Current offers:
All offers below are DEAD
72K offer
: 72K offer
70K offer: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
70K + $100 statement credit: click on the direct link to offer in the DoC article...https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...0-miles-offer/

Prior offers:
50k miles + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend (Live Jan 2021 to May 2021)
40k miles + $100 + companion fare, $75 AF, $2k spend

As of December 2018, Bank of America no longer gives you a lower bonus if you're approved for Platinum instead of Signature.

Make sure to opt-in to "Partner Offers" within your Mileage Plan account if you wish to be targeted for single-use application links with increases bonuses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Personal Card application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

Personal card Recon Lines:
1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"
or 888-230-6262

================================================== =======================

BUSINESS CARDS

Current offers:
Now 50k $95 AF $100 Stmt credit $4k spending https://www.alaskaair.com/content/cr...-business-card

Prior offers:
40K>70K

Read post 844 for tips on being approved for the business card.
It may be easier to get approved for a new business with 0 years and $0 gross income.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

Business card Recon Line:
April 2024: BOA Biz Recon (Small Biz Lending, Credit Analyst) 888-782-7717, 888-569-4439 (M-F 8am-7pm EST), both answered by live human in 2-4 minutes. (Both numbers confirmed multiple times in the past 2-3 days.)
866-695-6598 (8-7pm EST M-F)
Biz card status line: 888 663 6262 (not working)
Biz Card credit analyst line: 888-782-7717
Biz card expedited shipping: wait 24 hours after approval for a card number to generate then call 800-901-9830 and a person will answer. If 1st Rep says "no" ask him/her to ck. with a supervisor. This worked for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Inquiries
Credit Inquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Inquiries for business cards come from FIA.
Credit bureaus usually merge inquiries from the same requester made on the same day.
Inquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

Does one have to call BoA to lower a card's credit limit?
Yes, there is no longer any way to contact BOA online. Phone is the only method currently.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.

Can you send a secure message through your account online?
No. BOA has removed the secure message functionality, even for Preferred members. The only way to contact BOA now is to call them.

Can I apply for another personal Alaska card if I have one open already?
Some people still can, but these days many people get denied. If you don't want to risk getting denied, it's probably better if you close any existing personal Alaska cards before applying for another one. But be sure to lower credit limit as low as possible at least a few business days before you close the card (though the earlier you can do it the better), because credit limit that's left on the card when you close it stays unavailable to new card applications for a year or more (while credit limit that's lowered as a separate step becomes available to new card applications much sooner)!

.................................................. .................

Use or earn Mileage Plan miles with Alaska's Global Partners
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners-overview

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Alaska Airlines card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Hi All, apologies if this has been mentioned earlier but just wanted to know if anyone has any recent data points getting approved for multiple personal Alaska cards (not business)? I was just approved last week for a personal and wanted to see if it’s worth going for another one. Thanks!
Are you thinking they'd would've loosened up? Or were you unaware of changes this year?

As of recent months, most people get denied for applying for a second personal card while having one open.

And what's the hurry? In case you missed it, a few weeks ago, BofA just started a new anti-churning "2/3/4" rule on top of that:
So on average, you'll only be able to get one of these Alaska personal cards every 6 months (even though you could I guess do a burst of them and then go hibernate).

Doing them every 6 months would give you time to do the spend, lower the credit limit, get the bonus, and cancel the first card, before applying for the next.

(Btw, had you read the wikipost atop this thread before posting, you would have found all those answers there too.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 24, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold
@sdsearch, no need for the self-righteous snarky reply. If you decide my question wasn't worth an answer you should have said nothing rather than poison this forum with your condescending trolling. I did read the wiki and I wanted clarification so I asked. My god, you need to get a life.

For the record, I was asking because I was actually approved for this card while also having the platinum version of this card that I got two years ago that is still open currently. That is why I was asking.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you thinking they'd would've loosened up? Or were you unaware of changes this year?

As of recent months, most people get denied for applying for a second personal card while having one open.

And what's the hurry? In case you missed it, a few weeks ago, BofA just started a new anti-churning "2/3/4" rule on top of that:
So on average, you'll only be able to get one of these Alaska personal cards every 6 months (even though you could I guess do a burst of them and then go hibernate).

Doing them every 6 months would give you time to do the spend, lower the credit limit, get the bonus, and cancel the first card, before applying for the next.

(Btw, had you read the wikipost atop this thread before posting, you would have found all those answers there too.)
g8trgr8t likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hi All, apologies if this has been mentioned earlier but just wanted to know if anyone has any recent data points getting approved for multiple personal Alaska cards (not business)? I was just approved last week for a personal and wanted to see if it’s worth going for another one. Thanks!
I think it's pretty tough these days to double-app for AS card within a short period of time. Think this is because this card is the one that is most "abused" by the FF community. Perhaps waiting 90 days later could lead to a better chance of auto-approval?

Alternatively, maybe combine AS app with another app? VS has the 90K offer going on right now.

BOA doesnt do another HP if you submit a second app within 30 days of the first app. They usually use the same CR.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the record, I was asking because I was actually approved for this card while also having the platinum version of this card that I got two years ago that is still open currently. That is why I was asking.
I don't recall anyone else previously reporting holding on to a Platinum card (most people dump it if they can't upgrade it to Signature), and then applying again while still having that Platinum card open.

So I don't know if we had any datapoints on whether applying while having a Platinum card is any different than applying while having a Siganture card. Maybe it is? (But it's hard to be sure from just from your one datapoint.)

Or maybe it's how long you've had the card that makes the difference? Again, most people who try to apply for another card because they another open haven't waited two years. And thus fairly few and rare datapoints on that too.

So I don't think you can extrapolate from a datapoint about Platinum card open two years that you're more likely to get approved for a third card very soon (than people from datapoints in recent months).

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 25, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by randomdude
Last question: is it one of those CDs, or another kind?
It's actually a no-fee CD
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS
Smile AS card Targeted deal $75 credit for $250 spend - is Amazon is coded as "bookstore"

Hi all,
My husband and I got offers from B of A today that we will get $75 in AS credit if we spend $250 at (a) Department Stores; (b) Electronics Stores; (c) Computers and Computer Peripheral Equipment and Software Stores; (d) Hobby, Toy and Game Shops; (e) Book Stores; (f) Sporting Goods Stores, Sports Apparel and Riding Apparel Stores by the end of the year.

We don't regularly use the AS card. Anyone know if Amazon is coded as "bookstore" with BofA???

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Esther Arellano Harlow
Hi all,
My husband and I got offers from B of A today that we will get $75 in AS credit if we spend $250 at (a) Department Stores; (b) Electronics Stores; (c) Computers and Computer Peripheral Equipment and Software Stores; (d) Hobby, Toy and Game Shops; (e) Book Stores; (f) Sporting Goods Stores, Sports Apparel and Riding Apparel Stores by the end of the year.

We don't regularly use the AS card. Anyone know if Amazon is coded as "bookstore" with BofA???

Thanks!
Welcome to FT! Since Amazon sells so many things I'm guessing that they would be coded as one of the 6 categories above. Why not make a small purchase and see how it's coded?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:36 pm

I applied for a business card with my EIN (real business) and they are requesting tax data. I won't send it. What chances for approval would you give me if I reapply immediately using only SSN and different business name but same address, with zero history and zero income? The idea is to get approval without another hardpull. What's the best strategy here?

Thanks!

Last edited by WileyPayote; Nov 1, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WileyPayote
I applied for a business card with my EIN (real business) and they are requesting tax data. I won't send it. What chances for approval would you give me if I reapply immediately using only SSN and different business name but same address, with zero history and zero income? The idea is to get approval without another hardpull. What's the best strategy here?

Thanks!
What do you mean by "won't send it'", and "reapply immediately"? The outcome could be quite different depending on whether the application is cancelled by then or still open! So are you going to tell them you don't want to send the tax forms, and to cancel your application (if it can't be approved without those tax forms), before you reapply?

And don't use a fake business name when reapplying. That's just likely to get you in more trouble. If reapplying with your SSN, give your name as the business name, your address as the business address, your phone as the business phone, along with zero history and zero business income and minimum (1 counting you) employees and sole proprietorship.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

Thanks!
Originally Posted by philemer
Welcome to FT! Since Amazon sells so many things I'm guessing that they would be coded as one of the 6 categories above. Why not make a small purchase and see how it's coded?
Amazon should code the same on every Visa card.

Now, I don't have any recent usage of Amazon on a Visa card, but at the end of 2015 when Chase Freedom was doing 10x UR on Amazon purchases, I had a bunch, and those all coded as in the mega-category "entertainment" on my year-end summary. which unfortunately doesn't sound like it would likely be any of the 6 categories that you need. But unfortunately, that's so far back I can't find any way to look up exactly how it reported (Chase won't let me search for purchases in 2015 other than through those year-end summaries).

You can't expect Amazon to be in a particular category, given that they sell everything from groceries to streaming video. Any store which sells such a super-variety of stuff tends to not work with most such promotions, unless they name that store specifically (as Discover has done with its 4Q 2017 5% cashback promo for Amazon).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:10 am

Hi all,

Thanks!
If your end goal is to buy something from Amazon, then perhaps just go to one of the places (a) through (f), to buy a $250 Amazon GC.

I can think of a number of places for (a) and (d) where you can easily procure one.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean by "won't send it'", and "reapply immediately"? The outcome could be quite different depending on whether the application is cancelled by then or still open! So are you going to tell them you don't want to send the tax forms, and to cancel your application (if it can't be approved without those tax forms), before you reapply?

And don't use a fake business name when reapplying. That's just likely to get you in more trouble. If reapplying with your SSN, give your name as the business name, your address as the business address, your phone as the business phone, along with zero history and zero business income and minimum (1 counting you) employees and sole proprietorship.
I had asked and they will not close the application - the only option is to let it time out.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by WileyPayote

Thanks!
I applied for a biz card as a sole prop with my SSN about 2 weeks ago and today I got a letter asking for tax returns, biz records, etc. I filled out the app just like the last (successful) time that I got the card with no documentation required.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
I applied for a biz card as a sole prop with my SSN about 2 weeks ago and today I got a letter asking for tax returns, biz records, etc. I filled out the app just like the last (successful) time that I got the card with no documentation required.
1 employee, $0 income, etc? New Biz in their eyes?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Exactly. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.