Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ecs0013

It looks like it's enabled on the location near me (Indianapolis area) - no signage, but I used an ordering kiosk and it prompted swipe/insert/tap.
Same here says Insert, Swipe or tap to pay with the ctls logo.
ecs0013 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cjw2001
More progress on dual interface cards: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-moves-forward

OMNY usage first weekend of operation: https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...2wy-story.html
1.5% of all transactions. However, the 80% using mobile devices does seem to imply that a significant number of US residents are using it (vs. mostly foreign visitors). Maybe that will decrease over time as contactless cards become more common.

Also, hopefully the lucky BofA customers take to them quickly because it sounds like there's still a chance they might not bother with rolling them out to everyone.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
1.5% of all transactions. However, the 80% using mobile devices does seem to imply that a significant number of US residents are using it (vs. mostly foreign visitors). Maybe that will decrease over time as contactless cards become more common.

Also, hopefully the lucky BofA customers take to them quickly because it sounds like there's still a chance they might not bother with rolling them out to everyone.
Given that Chase and Wells Fargo has rolled out contactless for most of its credit cards, shouldn't everyone who has a credit card from one of those banks in New York be able to tap their card and pay the fare?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Tyler2017
Given that Chase and Wells Fargo has rolled out contactless for most of its credit cards, shouldn't everyone who has a credit card from one of those banks in New York be able to tap their card and pay the fare?
1) chase has contactless for most of it's portfolio, but not everyone received contactless cards (you can manually request if you know and want one)

2) contactless only works for pay-per-trip. If you have monthly pass, you still have to use MetroCard

Just got an email, boa rolling out contactless
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have new Chase contactless cards and have been using "tap to pay" more often. I've scrolled through this thread a bit. A few basic questions

1) Do you think the increase in contactless cards will also lead to more chip and pin options in the US?
2) Why do people in the thread seem to prefer contactless cards vs mobile devices?

I find that is a tad more time consuming to pull out my wallet, pull out my contactless card then tap the card versus pulling out my phone and "double clicking" to pay (two steps vs one steps)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have new Chase contactless cards and have been using "tap to pay" more often. I've scrolled through this thread a bit. A few basic questions

1) Do you think the increase in contactless cards will also lead to more chip and pin options in the US?
No, cause
1) people refuse to memorize pin.

​​​​​2) merchants won't enable chip n pin on their terminals (how long did it take to roll out chip terminal, and how long did the chip slot stay dormant before being enabled?)

3) regulation wise, dont see any push to make chip+pin more merchant friendly versus others (eg fraud protection from the merchant perspective)

heck, a lot of merchants run debit cards as signature, to make to hassle free for consumers, don't see them wanting to move to chip n pin (more friction).

Without all this, credit card companies can still rollout chip & pin. Costs money with little upside, doubt it'll happen

find that is a tad more time consuming to pull out my wallet, pull out my contactless card then tap the card versus pulling out my phone and "double clicking" to pay (two steps vs one steps)
If you haven't been at the merchant before, you can't be sure if they support contactless until the time to pay (unless they have stickers with the contactless logo)

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 4, 2019 at 10:47 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
1) chase has contactless for most of it's portfolio, but not everyone received contactless cards (you can manually request if you know and want one)
In addition, Chase hasn't rolled out contactless for debit cards yet, and a lot of people use one as their primary/only card (instead of a credit card).

No. The card networks (Visa in particular) have made it clear that PIN is not the future. They're not going to stop an issuer from offering it, mind you, but there are some obstacles that may preclude it:
  • Quick Chip: besides making it practically impossible to push PIN changes in a reliable manner (if offline PIN is supported by the card), it could cause PIN to be asked for with most contactless purchases (even small ones). While one could make the contactless interface signature-preferring, that also provides a way around PIN authentication in the first place--especially as contactless support at merchants becomes more common.
  • A fair number of later EMV merchant rollouts don't support PIN at all. This is in large part due to the huge number of chip and signature cards on the market already. There's not much of a point if PIN's simply not going to be asked for most of the time anyway.
2) Why do people in the thread seem to prefer contactless cards vs mobile devices?
It depends. If I'm going to be using a retailer's app (like at 7-Eleven for instance), Google Pay is easier since I already have my phone out. On the other hand, cards can be easier for those cashiers who aren't well trained (but then again, there are a few that won't enable the terminal unless you insert--except if they see you trying to tap a phone).

1) people refuse to memorize pin
People already do for debit cards. I don't think this would preclude mandatory PIN for all cards on its own, but they very well may just set all their cards to the same PIN.

​​​​​2) merchants won't enable chip n pin on their terminals (how long did it take to roll out chip terminal, and how long did the chip slot stay dormant before being enabled?)
The earlier EMV rollouts did enable PIN support. The main issue was (and possibly still is) their insistence on custom software, lengthening certification wait times. Especially when many didn't even start thinking about it until a year before the 2015 liability shift at best.

However, I find that newer businesses and EMV latecomers are far less likely to have PIN enabled, or even the required hardware for it. Granted, a fair number of those are restaurants who likely don't want to bother with something that only a few people would need anyway.

3) regulation wise, dont see any push to make chip+pin more merchant friendly versus others (eg fraud protection from the merchant perspective)
That could be done with chip and signature too if desired. It'd likely piss a whole bunch of people off, though (and send a bunch of people back to using cash again), which is probably why it's unlikely to happen.

Also, I'm not convinced that making customers liable by default is required to make PIN a thing in the first place. Especially when lost/stolen fraud is supposedly too low for banks to justify it.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I saw Kroger Pay and Kroger debit card advertising/signage at a local Ralphs today. I was short on time, however, so I couldn't test Chase Pay. Not that I particularly want to encourage Kroger but at least it'd be an option that doesn't rely on having a Samsung device with MST support for the few times I go into one.
Yeah. Chase Pay QR is not supported in the non-official announced markets (I've tried). Yes, the KP QR code works fine. There is currently no incentive to use it though unless you combine it with the Kroger co-branded payment cards.

It is true that it would be the only way to use a non-SP, contactless method at Kroger stores since they continue to leave the NFC off as discussed.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:49 pm

I find that is a tad more time consuming to pull out my wallet, pull out my contactless card then tap the card versus pulling out my phone and "double clicking" to pay (two steps vs one steps)
I think there's probably an even split on this thread in reality (but I could totally be wrong). Outside of one or two times, I've never used the contactless feature on my cards. Between carrying "all" of my cards on my iPhone and it being in my front pocket, it gets use for almost all contactless transactions. If I'm using my default card, I just have to have my finger on the Touch ID sensor when holding the phone near the terminal (the signal wakes the phone and opens Wallet to be ready to pay). I suspect if I had a notchy iPhone, I'd "arm" it ahead of time with the double-click on the side button.

I don't use it as much, but I have a different default card on my Apple Watch that gets used at gas pumps and then I can leave my phone connected in my car. I probably could use it more at various retailers, but I almost always reach for my phone out of habit.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Same here says Insert, Swipe or tap to pay with the ctls logo.
My local Taco Bell has it now too:

EMV contactless and CDCVM per the receipt email:

Not sure how it works in the drive through.
ecs0013 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A contactless card will never have a dead battery and leave you stranded in a pay for transit scenario. Phone batteries make that method less reliable.

That said I'll use what's convenient at the time. When I had two contactless cards I just put one on the left side of the wallet and one on the right side, and would just tap the (opened) wallet on the correct side for the desired card without pulling anything out. Now that I've just received my third contactless card from Chase that strategy will only work for one side of the wallet since the other side now has two contactless cards. If the phone is already out and handy and has the desired card pre selected I'll just do that. Just depends on what is handy at the time.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles

It works in the drive through as you expect. They handed me a Vx805 out the window instead of an Mx915. It worked great, said POINT on the screen making it quite obvious that Taco Bell is using Verifone Point. IT seems the last two taco bells I have been through were well trained on it. I asked them and they said every employee got an email explaining how the Drive Thru is supposed to work. Taco Bell did it right!

In my opinion they should have just deployed Vx805s everywhere, and ditched the Mx915, but I suppose line item displays in states that require it is an important reason why a lot of fast food went to these overkill terminals.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:28 am

I went to the manned register at my TB and despite it saying tap to pay no response from the mx915 but I went self ordering kiosk and it still worked just fine they must have really just had it enabled.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
In my opinion they should have just deployed Vx805s everywhere, and ditched the Mx915, but I suppose line item displays in states that require it is an important reason why a lot of fast food went to these overkill terminals.
Where are line items required by law? Not sure they're required in California anyway considering the number that don't use those for that purpose.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Skymiles
Where are line items required by law? Not sure they're required in California anyway considering the number that don't use those for that purpose.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...old-state-law/

California is one of them :-p

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.