Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Some more examples of listings that appear in the Google Pay app but don't actually have contactless:
  1. One Panda Express location, next to a place called Everbowl (which I'm fairly sure has contactless):
  2. Another on the US/Mexico border that is directly across from a Coffee Bean and an Auntie Anne's/Cinnabon:
That said, I do wonder if maybe they're considering beginning a wider rollout. For instance, I did see another location recently that wasn't on the app but did have MX915s, possibly implying that the installation of said hardware was extremely recent. We'll see I guess?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:49 pm

Not US related, but was reading about how in Poland Mastercard and Visa asked to have a limit of contactless transactions without a PIN request raised from current 50 PLN ($13) to 100 PLN ($26). It was approved and it will come into force this summer/fall.

Interesting thing though is the stats. It seems that Poland is one of the most "contactless" countries around there.

As of September 2018, Poland had issued 33.5 million contactless cards with 736k terminals accepting contactless (Poland's population is around 37 million).

According to Mastercard stats, 85% of the transactions in Poland with MC cards are contactless. Czechs lead with 93% - Hungarians and Slovaks are at 83%. European average, however, is 48%, with Germany closing the pack at 15%.

Director of VISA for Poland and Hungary claimed that "In the next few weeks, Poland will be the first country in the world where you will be able to use a contactless card at every physical point of sale in the country".
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Probably signature-preferring though since the backing bank seems to be the same as with Square Cash, but maybe we'll be surprised.
Are they issuing Square Cash cards as contactless? I have an early one and it isn't, but I may request a replacement if they are.

MSD only/unknown, contactless enabled:
Whole Foods -- formerly had EMV contactless, or at least no longer prints out EMV.
My Whole Foods still prints EMV info - I went and checked the receipt after using the Business Prime Amex via Apple Pay today.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Local restaurant here has Verifone terminals. You order the food at the counter so it's a fast casual type of place.

They have some kind of Windows tablets above them, which doesn't take actual input but rather display the items you ordered as well as the price.

The Verifones prompt you for a tip and then a signature.

One thing interesting is that as soon as I completed it, I got an alert showing the full amount including tip. For other types of contactless terminals, the alert would only show the base amount, not the amount including tip.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecs0013
Are they issuing Square Cash cards as contactless? I have an early one and it isn't, but I may request a replacement if they are.
No idea if they're officially released to the public but there are supposedly contactless versions floating around.

Originally Posted by ecs0013
My Whole Foods still prints EMV info - I went and checked the receipt after using the Business Prime Amex via Apple Pay today.
Maybe I should try AmEx next time and see if it's EMV contactless just for them. I thought I tried MC at one point and didn't have anything print out with that either but it's been a while since I made that attempt.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Rufferto
Sounds like OMNY is off to a better start than the MTA's last attempt at contactless:

2019: 38,987 taps in first 5 days of OMNY
2010: 74,209 taps in entire 6 month trial

^
There are two things holding up mass adoption at this point (and its obvious):
1. Installation at every Subway station and NYC Bus
2. Unlimited passes via OMNY (Was at Grand Central yesterday towards the tail end of rush hour, I think I was the only person to use OMNY).

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Anyone having trouble using Samsung Pay with OMNY (NYC)? I keep getting a Tap Only One Card message. Never got that in London when I visited last year.
No issues with Apple Pay here(I know not your question). One of my friends has a S7, when he tries OMNY next friday (free rides with mastercard), I'll ask
BTW, is your user name a reference to the LIRR and a certain track in Penn station?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:01 pm

I got OMNY to work by readding the cards. And good catch with my username.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It seems like Chase is handing out contactless debit cards now... Or at least that's what the pictures showed when I was picking my card design.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
HMart just fixed contactless recently. Previously contactless was restricted to Samsung Pay because they broke something. From my trip earlier this week, contactless was fixed (Apply Pay worked, and the signs saying Mobile Pay only works with Samsung Pay were gone) but there's no EMV info on the receipt, so I'm going to guess that it's still MSD. This HMart uses a REALLY old (possibly stock) version of the IBM/Toshiba 4690.
H Mart supports EMV contactless now and what an interesting receipt for sure says Visa Credit - Keyed AID etc all the emv info and the receipt looks like Toshiba software but the payment screen looked very different iirc. It did say Insert/swipe/tap at the bottom though.

Speaking of NCR Radiant Racetrac is very very fast like 5 seconds total its blazing of course all of those systems fast but scanning a rewards card does take extra time. Also they are trained to always press the eft button unlike the former kroger stores. Although I never had an issue getting them to press it.
Oh I finally found a Commander location with MX925's its a Phillips 66 and they just got it and everything is enabled.

I finally went to Whataburger and they just use Verifone Point with MX925's EMV contactless and CDCVM says "PIN". They no longer use custom software it seems.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interesting. My local HMart, which I believe is corporate owned, didn't have any EMV info on my receipt. I mentioned that the IBM/Toshiba 4690 that they used might be a really old stock version because I haven't seen that blue screen with that layout since Albertsons had it before they were split three ways and sold back in the early 2000s.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Skymiles
Interesting. My local HMart, which I believe is corporate owned, didn't have any EMV info on my receipt. I mentioned that the IBM/Toshiba 4690 that they used might be a really old stock version because I haven't seen that blue screen with that layout since Albertsons had it before they were split three ways and sold back in the early 2000s.
Can’t go based on layout either. Walmart uses a very new version of 4690, but with old screen layouts and GUIs.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:32 am

Here is my receipt: https://imgur.com/8XQkjQ7 from H Mart unsure if that is a corp location or not.
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Can’t go based on layout either. Walmart uses a very new version of 4690, but with old screen layouts and GUIs.
My Wal-Mart ripped out all the keyboards and added touchscreens throughout the whole store. They did a total remodel of the whole store while it remained open.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.chase.com/business/debit-cards

Currently looking to see if any personal debit card pages have been updated. https://www.chase.com/contactless still only mentions credit cards, however.

EDIT: couldn't find anything on the personal side. Also, the instructions for requesting a new business debit card aren't actually correct and will require calling in. (I only use that card at the ATM for deposits anyway, so I'm not bothered by waiting until it expires.)

Last edited by tmiw; Jun 17, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone been to Lowe's recently and can confirm? https://appleosophy.com/2019/06/17/l...-of-apple-pay/

Maybe Home Depot will eventually enable contactless too if true. Though I think HD is one of the ones who aren't huge fans of Visa/MC so it could go either way.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:13 pm

Anyone been to Lowe's recently and can confirm? https://appleosophy.com/2019/06/17/l...-of-apple-pay/

Maybe Home Depot will eventually enable contactless too if true. Though I think HD is one of the ones who aren't huge fans of Visa/MC so it could go either way.
No that is Lowes Market in Texas and the ctls is not working at all but it looks like it should be. I took that picture so I know for sure. Also the author took that down when I told him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.