Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Seattle is a tech hub and our transit isn't up to date either. We have Fare Inspectors rather than gates though.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Monzo is launching in the US with a card that supports contactless: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/13/1...e-availability

Probably signature-preferring though since the backing bank seems to be the same as with Square Cash, but maybe we'll be surprised.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Seattle is a tech hub and our transit isn't up to date either. We have Fare Inspectors rather than gates though.
Phoenix has SOME tech and our trains/buses has fare inspectors and smart card readers. And an app. I want Apple Pay though.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of transit, it's interesting how a lot of the payments media seem to think San Diego will enable open loop from the start when I thought we were under the impression that they will not. Example:

We expect the first U.S. open-loop transit launch since the 2015 liability shift to be in 2019 in New York City, with Boston close behind. San Diego recently announced their intention to follow suit and we are sure others will follow.
Did that plan change now that there are actually dual interface cards coming into the market?

BTW I'm pretty sure NYC isn't first. I thought Portland launched after the liability shift too? Or are they not counted because they launched with MSD?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Stater Brothers (Southern California grocery chain) now has EMV contactless. As of now, we have the following for merchants that sell grocery items:

EMV contactless enabled:
Stater Brothers
Grocery Outlet
Safeway (Vons, etc.)
Trader Joe's
Sprouts
Lidl
Meijer
Stop & Shop
Giant
Target*

MSD only/unknown, contactless enabled:
Whole Foods -- formerly had EMV contactless, or at least no longer prints out EMV info
Aldi
Bristol Farms -- don't remember, may be EMV contactless
Gelson's -- unknown
Smart & Final

No contactless:
Kroger (Ralphs, Food 4 Less, etc.) -- released own payment app
Publix -- released own payment app
H-E-B
Walmart* -- released own payment app

I'm sure I'm missing some other regional chains in the above, though, but that should be at least all of the ones that exist in the San Diego/Southern California area.

* Not strictly a grocery store but some locations have grocery items (sometimes enough to basically be a grocery store in all but name), so I'm including them here.

Last edited by tmiw; Jun 14, 2019 at 3:46 am Reason: added Stop & Shop, Smart & Final and Giant
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like Stater Brothers (Southern California grocery chain) now has EMV contactless. As of now, we have the following for merchants that sell grocery items
I believe Stop & Shop and Giant also have EMV contactless enabled.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:12 pm

Anyone having trouble using Samsung Pay with OMNY (NYC)? I keep getting a Tap Only One Card message. Never got that in London when I visited last year.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I believe Stop & Shop and Giant also have EMV contactless enabled.
Oh right. See, I forget ones that don't exist where I live (unless they ended up becoming notorious through the news media).

Still, there's not all that many grocery stores that do MSD at this point. Maybe Visa did a good job at making sure they were prepared?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Oh right. See, I forget ones that don't exist where I live (unless they ended up becoming notorious through the news media).

Still, there's not all that many grocery stores that do MSD at this point. Maybe Visa did a good job at making sure they were prepared?
Unfortunately in northern California many grocers are still on MSD. It seems to be the ones with NCR Registers/software the most. Smaller chains/independents like Holiday (on IBM/Toshiba)... the big ones like Save Mart and Raleys (both NCR). Save Mart seems to have tried to update a few months ago and the result was they broke Contactless at random registers in random stores (still works fine on different registers in the same stores...). It fails and after 3 failed taps you get to swipe the card and have a FSwipe transaction which processes with no signature.

What about the various hispanic operators in SoCal? Vallerta uses the NCR Registers/software that Save Mart uses; Cardenas and El Super use the same system as Sprouts and Grocery Outlet..

Move over to Utah and it is a much different picture with the majority of grocers there on EMV Contactless...
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Unfortunately in northern California many grocers are still on MSD. It seems to be the ones with NCR Registers/software the most. Smaller chains/independents like Holiday (on IBM/Toshiba)... the big ones like Save Mart and Raleys (both NCR). Save Mart seems to have tried to update a few months ago and the result was they broke Contactless at random registers in random stores (still works fine on different registers in the same stores...). It fails and after 3 failed taps you get to swipe the card and have a FSwipe transaction which processes with no signature.

What about the various hispanic operators in SoCal? Vallerta uses the NCR Registers/software that Save Mart uses; Cardenas and El Super use the same system as Sprouts and Grocery Outlet..

Move over to Utah and it is a much different picture with the majority of grocers there on EMV Contactless...
Oh, it's totally possible that the smaller outfits are mostly MSD contactless here. I don't tend to visit them all that much, though, so I don't know for sure.

On that note, I still need to go re-visit H-Mart, especially the new one that just opened up. And maybe some of the other Asian grocery stores too*.

* Though Zion Market has had Clover devices and thus EMV contactless for a while, and FD35 PIN pads with everything enabled before that. In fact, they were one of the few places that supported EMV before the 2015 liability shift around here.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
On that note, I still need to go re-visit H-Mart, especially the new one that just opened up.
HMart just fixed contactless recently. Previously contactless was restricted to Samsung Pay because they broke something. From my trip earlier this week, contactless was fixed (Apply Pay worked, and the signs saying Mobile Pay only works with Samsung Pay were gone) but there's no EMV info on the receipt, so I'm going to guess that it's still MSD. This HMart uses a REALLY old (possibly stock) version of the IBM/Toshiba 4690.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realized that I forgot about Smart & Final. I'm pretty sure they're still MSD only though.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Sounds like OMNY is off to a better start than the MTA's last attempt at contactless:

2019: 38,987 taps in first 5 days of OMNY
2010: 74,209 taps in entire 6 month trial

^
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Someone tried to use my debit Visa card for some online purchases in Europe.

I've never use this card for anything other than withdrawals on overseas trips. Not tied to my main bank account so I don't use it back home in the US.

Got an automated call which tried to have me confirm my billing address zip code and social security number. I ended the call and called into the bank.

Has anyone seen NFC ATMs overseas? Because I'm going to try to use Apple Pay with the replacement card.

Whoever tried to charge this card and phish me knew the bank, the billing zip code, my phone number and my social security number or had a good idea of what they were.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:52 am

My Trader Joe’s just got EMV contactless since my last visit. The font on the payment terminal while scanning items changed, which is probably an indication of when it has been enabled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.