Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like BK might have gotten contactless working at the Sicom locations again; I went to one near SDSU today that had everything enabled. Unfortunately, there's no EMV data on the receipt when tapping, but I don't think any ever printed when inserting either.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Looks like BK might have gotten contactless working at the Sicom locations again; I went to one near SDSU today that had everything enabled. Unfortunately, there's no EMV data on the receipt when tapping, but I don't think any ever printed when inserting either.
Well this sort of reminds me of the last time I went to Krispy Kreme they had nfc enabled but no cards would work not even Amex. I will need to try that soon. Also the last time I went to my NCR BK they were on contactless MSD typical RXXX
NCR receipt. That should be changing really soon I'd assume?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Well this sort of reminds me of the last time I went to Krispy Kreme they had nfc enabled but no cards would work not even Amex. I will need to try that soon. Also the last time I went to my NCR BK they were on contactless MSD typical RXXX
NCR receipt. That should be changing really soon I'd assume?
Maybe. For all I know, the Sicom locations could all be using EMV contactless now. There's not even the RXXX stuff on the receipts at those to know for sure, nor any EMV info or other indication contactless was used.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best Buy now supports EMV contactless as well if anyone is interested.
I was there last night and can confirm. Apparently debit cards still ask for PIN when using a phone but we didn't think to see whether bypass is still allowed (though since the card in the second transaction was a Visa debit card, it probably still is at least for those).
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JCPenney is reenabling contactless: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/27...tes-apple-pay/
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:12 am

Having talked about the signature requirement at unmanned terminals etc and how contactless is a bypass, this made me think....

What should we expect an America chip+signature but contactless card that has no PIN on it do when faced with a contactless transaction over the contactless no CVM limit in a country? Like in Poland. it's all 50 PLN and over that cards will force a PIN every time. What should happen to a US card with signature? Simply require signature? Will be interesting to test this all out with both manned and unmanned terminals.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barciur
Having talked about the signature requirement at unmanned terminals etc and how contactless is a bypass, this made me think....

What should we expect an America chip+signature but contactless card that has no PIN on it do when faced with a contactless transaction over the contactless no CVM limit in a country? Like in Poland. it's all 50 PLN and over that cards will force a PIN every time. What should happen to a US card with signature? Simply require signature? Will be interesting to test this all out with both manned and unmanned terminals.
It sounds like from previous posts that may either ask for PIN anyway (if the card supports it at all for contact EMV) or require insertion, but report back on your findings. ^
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the BK that I pass by on the way to/from work every day (which uses Sicom) and it looks like contactless still isn't working. Perhaps they're still rolling out the SW update to fix contactless? Or maybe it's something that's processor as well as POS dependent, in which case who knows how long it'll be.

Anyway, this is what the receipt looks like with EMV. As you can see, no indication chip was used at all. Contactless at that other BK location produces almost identical receipt content. The only thing I can maybe think of that can indicate EMV is the "I" at the end of the Auth line, which of course contactless seems to do too.

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:14 pm

I went to the BK that I pass by on the way to/from work every day (which uses Sicom) and it looks like contactless still isn't working. Perhaps they're still rolling out the SW update to fix contactless? Or maybe it's something that's processor as well as POS dependent, in which case who knows how long it'll be.

Anyway, this is what the receipt looks like with EMV. As you can see, no indication chip was used at all. Contactless at that other BK location produces almost identical receipt content. The only thing I can maybe think of that can indicate EMV is the "I" at the end of the Auth line, which of course contactless seems to do too.

The one way to tell for sure is if use Samsung Pays mst and if it says I or S or something else.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one way to tell for sure is if use Samsung Pays mst and if it says I or S or something else.
Might give that a try next time. Knowing my luck, though, they'll probably actually get contactless working again by then.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried to use Google Pay during lunch today and was having no such luck. Ended up tapping my CSR instead with no issues after losing patience. Turns out that NFC somehow disabled itself on my phone. I'm already tapping my physical cards more often so this definitely doesn't help change that.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:14 pm

Oh and Harbor Freight says "use chip reader" when I tried my Visa Debit card in Google Pay but Amex works as expected though.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just used contactless at JCPenney and it apparently went through as MSD (debit/credit prompt after tapping and no EMV info on the receipt). Pretty much confirms what I suspected about the EMV contactless mandate being a BS justification.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
The only thing I can maybe think of that can indicate EMV is the "I" at the end of the Auth line, which of course contactless seems to do too.
That's part of the authorisation number... nothing to do with EMV. I've seen C, D, and Z with some cards.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Just used contactless at JCPenney and it apparently went through as MSD (debit/credit prompt after tapping and no EMV info on the receipt). Pretty much confirms what I suspected about the EMV contactless mandate being a BS justification.
Probably the real reason was a botched software update. Then they tried to ignore it thinking people didn’t use Apple Pay. Then the story made national news lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.