Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Unlike Chicago, new SEPTA key cards have an EMV chip!!
Not going to be used for transit I don't think. If anything it'll be for a prepaid mastercard.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, for those in NYC, apparently MTA is enabling contactless a couple of days ahead of schedule: https://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comment...ntrance_at_ne/
Any word if the thing is actually working yet? I can't register for an account at omny.info, and I won't be able to get back in to Manhattan until next weekend to try it.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Interestingly, I just saw this on the MC map tonight:

It doesn't look like there's a USPS location at that address, though--at least not one that's public.
1400 Mission has a FedEx Office...
Old May 30, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by IslesFan
Not going to be used for transit I don't think. If anything it'll be for a prepaid mastercard.

Any word if the thing is actually working yet? I can't register for an account at omny.info, and I won't be able to get back in to Manhattan until next weekend to try it.
Upon further research the MasterCard portion can be used for transit, however, it’ll be only full single ride fares (as it’s processed as a credit card). It will only be tapped into if you have no money left in the transit portion.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Officially it's supposed to start working tomorrow. I'm also not sure registration is worthwhile without OMNY cards being available, but maybe it'll behave like TfL's website.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
1400 Mission has a FedEx Office...
Yep, it could just be that it has working iSC480s now and that the database is messed up. Another example of a messed up entry: there's supposedly a Taco Bell in my area on there that's actually some bakery in reality.

That said, USPS will probably enable contactless at some point. Otherwise, why bother including readers on their new kiosks?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Officially it's supposed to start working tomorrow. I'm also not sure registration is worthwhile without OMNY cards being available, but maybe it'll behave like TfL's website.

Yep, it could just be that it has working iSC480s now and that the database is messed up. Another example of a messed up entry: there's supposedly a Taco Bell in my area on there that's actually some bakery in reality.

That said, USPS will probably enable contactless at some point. Otherwise, why bother including readers on their new kiosks?
All of that customized USPS software puts you at the back of certification.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
All of that customized USPS software puts you at the back of certification.
Customized any software, really. Otherwise a lot more places would have had EMV back in 2015.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:42 pm

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...promotion.html

U should be able to use it without creating an OMNY account

Free Fridays using MasterCard + contactless, will test it with just plain Google pay+ MasterCard

Official OMNY rollout is today?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Tomorrow per this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...promotion.html

U should be able to use it without creating an OMNY account

Free Fridays using MasterCard + contactless, will test it with just plain Google pay+ MasterCard

Tomorrow per this.
OTOH... I just was able to sign up for an OMNY account!

I'm not sure what to be more surprised about, the fact that NYC has contactless, or that something with NYC actually is happening as promised.

Last edited by IslesFan; May 30, 2019 at 7:33 pm Reason: grammar
Old May 30, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those in the South:

Last edited by mia; May 31, 2019 at 7:32 am
Old May 30, 2019, 7:26 pm

So who are our contactless holdouts? Walmart?
Old May 30, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who are our contactless holdouts? Walmart?
Walmart, Kroger, Home Depot, Lowe's, Michaels off the top of my head. There are probably others.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
(blank message)

Did you mean to post something? Those of us in The South [tm] have been waiting!
Old May 31, 2019, 7:21 am

Walmart, Kroger, Home Depot, Lowe's, Michaels off the top of my head. There are probably others.
Looks like Publix backpedaled, but to add to the list, Marshalls/TJMaxx/HomeGoods, Sam's Club (obviously with Walmart), and Wendy's seem to be the big ones that I can think of.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:24 am

By "without PIN", do you mean contactless cards that don't have any ability to use online PIN when tapped, or all signature-preferring contactless cards? I'm wondering if my Diners Club MC (signature-preferring on contactless, PIN preferring when inserted) would cause the terminal to force insertion or if I'd be able to enter the PIN.
I mean cards that don't support PIN at all, e.g. Chase credit cards.

I suspect that if the card supports PIN on contactless, the terminal would prompt for a PIN--similarly to how unattended terminals will prompt for PINs when signature-preferring cards with PIN support (either online or offline in Belgium) are inserted--but I have no way to know for sure since my only American contactless card is a CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.