Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Rufferto
What card reader are you using? I can detect contactless credit cards with my Sony RC-S380 but Cardpeek doesn't seem to work with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00737J1H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00737J1H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
, though it's discontinued now. I imagine a newer model from HID would work though.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
EMV Contactless became available for google pay on 04/01 for amex.

If it hasn't updated to emv mode, you could probably remove/readd
True I just tried it at a place with EMV contactless and PAX S300 pinpads and my Amex in Google Pay is EMV contactless. I re-added my Amex 4/10/19 to my phone.
Originally Posted by tmiw
I hadn't used that card in a while but the post did make me wonder if anything had changed, so I scanned my phone in cardpeek (both before and after re-adding) as well as the new contactless card that had arrived recently. In all cases, CDA appeared to be enabled, as well as showing data files that can be used for offline data authentication. However, no certificates appeared with the phone, but that's possibly due to Google Pay shutting off the NFC link after the terminal reads a certain amount of data.

Next, I went to CVS and made a small purchase to verify that EMV contactless was enabled for AmEx and it looks like it is indeed enabled now:

For reference, here's what the Google Pay app thinks the DAN is:

So yeah, hopefully this means AmEx in Google Pay will work on the Underground now. ^

(1F is "no CVM" above; the purchase would likely have needed to be much larger to get CDCVM to trigger.)

BTW, one interesting note is that CVS apparently skipped the first AID on the phone's priority list (A000000025021001) and selected the second one (A000000025011001). I'm not sure what the difference is between the two.
Runza with PAX S300's also used the AID A000000025011001 with my Amex via Google Pay. Casey's General Store with NCR Retailx for gas stations & L5300's finally got chip and they now also have EMV contactless. It forces pin of debit cards read via ctls and here is the receipt: https://imgur.com/a/Kn6ybhE it looks a lot like NCR Radiant gas station receipts on the card info lines hmm.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA
I don't know what the deal is but they opened a brand new Jack in the Box near where I work and there's still no contactless or EMV support there, at all. No terminals or anything. Really expected them to have it together at this point.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I don't know what the deal is but they opened a brand new Jack in the Box near where I work and there's still no contactless or EMV support there, at all. No terminals or anything. Really expected them to have it together at this point.
It’s because the terminal deployment is run by a different team than the POS deployment. JITB seems to be quite slow with this rollout but not as slow as Panda Express is.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just landed at SMF and saw this Chipotle in the Google Pay app. Might they finally be getting EMV and contactless?
To answer my own question, no it doesn't currently have either. But the fact that it's the only Chipotle that I've ever seen on the Google Pay app does make me wonder if something is coming.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
The TWA Hotel had its opening on Wednesday, and the reception has self service stands to check in and make your keys. Contactless was enabled, and I think this is the first time I've done a contactless payment for a hotel:
That looks nice. I was watching some videos people had of the hotel, looks like a lot of effort and care went into making it a nice place.

To answer my own question, no it doesn't currently have either. But the fact that it's the only Chipotle that I've ever seen on the Google Pay app does make me wonder if something is coming.
I don't know how it decides what businesses accept Google pay. It seems to me some places must add themselves whether they do or not, maybe because they don't know what it is or just to bring people in anyway. There's no way to report an incorrect entry so there's no follow up on it.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how it decides what businesses accept Google pay. It seems to me some places must add themselves whether they do or not, maybe because they don't know what it is or just to bring people in anyway. There's no way to report an incorrect entry so there's no follow up on it.
My original theory was that usage is driving additions to the Google Pay app due to the fact that:
  1. Square merchants (who typically don't show up on the MC map) are showing up on there, and
  2. My location isn't showing up despite having a Square chip+contactless reader (I rarely use it due to payments typically being taken online instead of in person).
However, now that there are multiple examples of locations appearing on there despite not having any contactless hardware, I'm rethinking that theory.

(OTOH, it's possible that there was contactless hardware at some of these which got removed at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened at that particular Chipotle, for example.)
Old May 19, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
That looks nice. I was watching some videos people had of the hotel, looks like a lot of effort and care went into making it a nice place.
Few things beyond the payment and check-in kiosks worked well on opening night. I ended up getting my room comped it was so bad.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

My original theory was that usage is driving additions to the Google Pay app due to the fact that:
  1. Square merchants (who typically don't show up on the MC map) are showing up on there, and
  2. My location isn't showing up despite having a Square chip+contactless reader (I rarely use it due to payments typically being taken online instead of in person).
However, now that there are multiple examples of locations appearing on there despite not having any contactless hardware, I'm rethinking that theory.

(OTOH, it's possible that there was contactless hardware at some of these which got removed at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened at that particular Chipotle, for example.)
I don't believe it is usage based. I've been to some new places that appear on there but didn't have contactless, and never had anything else other than what they've got now.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Few things beyond the payment and check-in kiosks worked well on opening night. I ended up getting my room comped it was so bad.
Oh, well it seems to have visual appeal; hopefully they can work out the issues and make it great. At least you got to 'enjoy' a free night on opening night, though I'm sure it was memorable for the wrong reasons.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe it is usage based. I've been to some new places that appear on there but didn't have contactless, and never had anything else other than what they've got now.
I do see a "mobile business" option in my Square app. Perhaps that's what's controlling whether those show up?
Old May 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I've noticed lately at Kroger banners the pinpad has changed slightly and the "swipe or insert card at any time" prompt has moved down closer to the middle of the pinpad, but not right in the middle. It looks to me like there is space at the top of the pinpad for the four dots for NFC which they obviously have disabled.

I wonder if at this point the Toshiba/Verifone POS Software has NFC standard now and Kroger is getting a special version of the software with it disabled?

Considering all the other grocers on Toshiba POS with Verifone PInpads all use NFC... though many still MSD...

I can add Weis Markets in PA to the list for EMV Contactless. Shows up as "H" processing type similar to Costco.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslesFan
Don't think anyone else mentioned it, but Taco Bell's here in NY appear to have enabled contactless within the last week. Looks like it's EMV by the receipt I got.
If I understand this correctly, it'll be at all locations by next month. I'm assuming one "experience" per month, however (given that E5 seems to correspond to May based on previous subreddit posts), which could be a totally incorrect interpretation.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like Sicom Burger King locations have EMV now. Unfortunately I think contactless got disabled as part of that ("insert or swipe card" prompt and no other indications). It also looked like it was doing Quick Chip but I'll have to go back to confirm.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to a second Sicom BK location and while it didn't have EMV, contactless didn't work either. Despite saying "swipe or tap card" and showing the contactless logo, I didn't see the lights on the top of the display nor did the VX820 respond to my Chase contactless card. I'm guessing they couldn't finish EMV contactless certification in time and had to disable that functionality for everyone--even the non-EMV ones.

BTW, obligatory photo of new (to me anyway) BK self-order kiosks:

(FWIW, I don't think contactless is permanently going away at BK. The above kiosk, for instance, said to "swipe or use mobile pay" when it came time for payment--not to mention Apple Pay and Google Pay logos still appearing on the VX820's idle screen.)

EDIT: interestingly, I had to go pick up my receipt from the front counter anyway as well. I wonder why since it looks like one could print from the kiosk if they wanted to.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
If I understand this correctly, it'll be at all locations by next month. I'm assuming one "experience" per month, however (given that E5 seems to correspond to May based on previous subreddit posts), which could be a totally incorrect interpretation.
It's not at all locations in NY either.

Went to one on Long Island Saturday night (Seaford, NY), had Contactless.
Went to a new one on 86th and 2nd in Manhattan on Sunday, no contactless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.