Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
From the Capital One cafe today:

Too bad their debit cards still don't do contactless (unless that's changed recently?)

BTW I've seen similar signage at a few other places recently. Looks like it's stuff Visa's sending out for merchants to put up.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Reporting the AAdvantage card as damaged worked for me, FWIW.
Same. Just got my replacement (metal) contactless AAdvantage Executive today after requesting replacement for damage. I immediately noticed that the new card felt heavier than the old one, and sure enough is weighing in at 5-7 grams heavier.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by zolk
Same. Just got my replacement (metal) contactless AAdvantage Executive today after requesting replacement for damage. I immediately noticed that the new card felt heavier than the old one, and sure enough is weighing in at 5-7 grams heavier.
Great news! I just got mine today and it too is Contactless. Says so on the letter and the card also has the "wave" symbol on the back. Looks like possibly all Citi cards will be contactless soon, if not already.

Noticed on that Credit Doctor site that somebody claimed you have to do a chip contact transaction first before the contactless interface will work. Seems sensible but no idea if that is true or not. I'll do it anyway though to avoid initial embarrassment.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Noticed on that Credit Doctor site that somebody claimed you have to do a chip contact transaction first before the contactless interface will work. Seems sensible but no idea if that is true or not. I'll do it anyway though to avoid initial embarrassment.
I think I reported that initially but from the comments I'm not sure if that person noticed that observation here or myFICO. Did Citi start mentioning that yet (or fix the newer cards so that's not necessary)? Because I feel that's pretty important.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

I think I reported that initially but from the comments I'm not sure if that person noticed that observation here or myFICO. Did Citi start mentioning that yet (or fix the newer cards so that's not necessary)? Because I feel that's pretty important.
I actually looked to see if they did mention it on anything but I don't see it stated anywhere. I looked at citi.com/contactless (which is what it tells you to do to 'find out more') but nothing to that effect is noted, hence why I was skeptical of the post. But if you've noticed this too, then I'd venture to say it is probably the case. Does seem a little odd they wouldn't mention this anywhere as I'm sure somebody is going to try it and then wonder why their card won't work.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:40 pm

I'm going to say yes, you do need to use the contact interface first. I tested with the cardpeek software to see what the card did and then decided to go to the McDonald's drive thru. They did a contact transaction and when I came back I tested it again. Cardpeek recognized it as being a Mastercard after the McD's transaction, and in looking at the data I do see why they want the contact used first. If the contactless was enabled beforehand you could analyze someone's credit card while still inside the sealed envelope. A good idea on their part, but poor communication means that some people will be stumped when they get their new card, think they'll try it out right away, only to find it doesn't work.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I'm going to say yes, you do need to use the contact interface first. I tested with the cardpeek software to see what the card did and then decided to go to the McDonald's drive thru. They did a contact transaction and when I came back I tested it again. Cardpeek recognized it as being a Mastercard after the McD's transaction, and in looking at the data I do see why they want the contact used first. If the contactless was enabled beforehand you could analyze someone's credit card while still inside the sealed envelope. A good idea on their part, but poor communication means that some people will be stumped when they get their new card, think they'll try it out right away, only to find it doesn't work.
I'm not sure why it'd matter when in theory only the card number and expiration are exposed over contactless. AFAIK Chase hasn't had fraud issues by having their cards immediately work over contactless.

Speaking of Chase, I got an email today talking about how tapping will earn you an entry for a grand prize trip to the Super Bowl. I forget if it's the same thing that was mentioned before or a different drawing.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple Pay will soon work for Southwest purchases (though I think this is only via app/website; I don't recall seeing anything other than a chip/swipe reader at their airport kiosks and I think they're still swipe only for alcohol on-board).

BTW, they were originally a MCX member, IIRC.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:31 am

Looks like it's stuff Visa's sending out for merchants to put up.
That does look like the typeface Visa uses on their advertising.

I'm not sure why it'd matter when in theory only the card number and expiration are exposed over contactless. AFAIK Chase hasn't had fraud issues by having their cards immediately work over contactless.
It does seem like a good preventive measure though they really ought to mention it if that's what they're doing. To the best of my recollection I didn't have to do a contact transaction with my contactless CaptialOne VentureOne Visa either. I don't use the card that often and I think I've only done contactless transactions with it since getting it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Speaking of Chase, I got an email today talking about how tapping will earn you an entry for a grand prize trip to the Super Bowl. I forget if it's the same thing that was mentioned before or a different drawing.
I posted the previous offer, which was a trip to London for (American) football; this one is new. Must tap physical card, mobile phones don't trigger entries.

Apple Pay will soon work for Southwest purchases (though I think this is only via app/website; I don't recall seeing anything other than a chip/swipe reader at their airport kiosks and I think they're still swipe only for alcohol on-board).

BTW, they were originally a MCX member, IIRC.
On a recent Delta flight I noticed that the back of an FA's payment terminal had a prominent NFC symbol (was in F, so not in a position to buy anything to test that). Asked him about it later, with a vague "I dunno, maybe it does (do tapping)" response.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Sep 5, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
That does look like the typeface Visa uses on their advertising.
Indeed. Also seen at Big Lots last night:

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
It does seem like a good preventive measure though they really ought to mention it if that's what they're doing.
Agreed on the latter, not so much on the former (in theory). That said, requiring an insert for contactless to start working probably is a good idea given that something like 3D Secure isn't required in the US for online transactions (or even CVV2 if Amazon's any indication).

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I posted the previous offer, which was a trip to London for (American) football; this one is new. Must tap physical card, mobile phones don't trigger entries.
Yep, the point is to encourage contactless card use.

However, I'm not sure contests are the best way to go. Maybe bonus spend for doing so instead? (e.g. instead of 1.5x on Freedom Unlimited, maybe make it 2x for all contactless purchases)

On a recent Delta flight I noticed that the back of an FA's payment terminal had a prominent NFC symbol (was in F, so not in a position to buy anything to test that). Asked him about it later, with a vague "I dunno, maybe it does (do tapping)" response.
Yeah, I've seen similar on several airlines but I have no expectation that any of those work (except maybe JetBlue's).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Ironically, USAA is offering the same contest, and you get a bonus entry for using a mobile phone (Apple/Google Pay).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I’ve been seeing tap to pay stickers everywhere lately. Has visa been sending people out?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:57 pm

Does anyone remember the Fiscal Systems TravStar1 POS system? Well it now accepts full EMV contactless. I know of two stations and one brand of Sinclair station that uses this system. The Sinclair in Sinclair WY and Stinker Stores in ID, WY, CO also use that system. A lone Shell in Lincoln NE also uses this system and all have nfc enabled now and it looks like this: https://imgur.com/EjSg26X but with the NFC dots now that is an old picture. Here are the receipts: https://imgur.com/ln15wNmYou first press Credit or Debit on the screen comes up with that screen with the nfc dots and you tap. It looks like some NCR system but the register hardware is the older IBM style register its an odd system.

Last edited by scibot; Sep 5, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:47 pm

The new card works great, and noticed a bit of surprise from the cashier when I used it for the first time at Subway today!

Plus your name and address on the outside of the envelope. Given that information, someone might be able to find out more info about you. Granted, this would not likely to be a large-scale issue, but limited to cases where a secretary, landlord, family member or somebody had access to the new card and new they could read it without you knowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.