FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:33 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I'm going to say yes, you do need to use the contact interface first. I tested with the cardpeek software to see what the card did and then decided to go to the McDonald's drive thru. They did a contact transaction and when I came back I tested it again. Cardpeek recognized it as being a Mastercard after the McD's transaction, and in looking at the data I do see why they want the contact used first. If the contactless was enabled beforehand you could analyze someone's credit card while still inside the sealed envelope. A good idea on their part, but poor communication means that some people will be stumped when they get their new card, think they'll try it out right away, only to find it doesn't work.
I'm not sure why it'd matter when in theory only the card number and expiration are exposed over contactless. AFAIK Chase hasn't had fraud issues by having their cards immediately work over contactless.

Speaking of Chase, I got an email today talking about how tapping will earn you an entry for a grand prize trip to the Super Bowl. I forget if it's the same thing that was mentioned before or a different drawing.