FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Print Wikipost

US based Union Pay card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tomprc
Yes, the fallback was exactly what I was using all the time, to get cash out like an ATM card

Seems like the loophole is no more?
If it's broken then that would seem to be the case. The cash back was possible since Discover allows you to get cash back without a fee (although I don't believe such transactions award points on the cash back amount). With UnionPay the entire transaction amount was recorded as a purchase. It worked as a debit card successfully at Costco and USPS at least back in 2017. I believe Costco no longer works, and at least the self service kiosk supports PBOCCARD. I don't know about the terminals inside though.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
If it's broken then that would seem to be the case. The cash back was possible since Discover allows you to get cash back without a fee (although I don't believe such transactions award points on the cash back amount). With UnionPay the entire transaction amount was recorded as a purchase. It worked as a debit card successfully at Costco and USPS at least back in 2017. I believe Costco no longer works, and at least the self service kiosk supports PBOCCARD. I don't know about the terminals inside though.

Safeway:
2019 Oct - I tested Safeway cashback at self-checkout and it did the swipe fallback to debit card mode to get $200 cash with a PIN like an ATM card.
2021 Feb - I retested Safeway and it now had full contactless UnionPay support. Fallback for cash definitely dead.

Costco:
2019 July - Tested and it was unusable as either swipe or chip card due to infinite loop of swipe & insert. Haven't tested at Costco since.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I received a spending promotion for 7% CB at amazon and 4.5% cashback for in-person purchases (capped at $600) .

In the email it says applications are still being taken in-person, or by emailing ([email protected]), or calling (212-238-8300).
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I’m trying to buy Marriott points and wonder if I will get the rebate with this card. From the Marriott site:

**UnionPay Terms
  • In order to receive the 10% UnionPay discount, you must purchase 2,000 or more Points with a UnionPay credit card (starting with 62).
  • Beginning at 9:00 a.m. EST November 4, 2021, for a limited time, purchases of 2,000 or more Marriott Bonvoy Points made with a UnionPay credit card with card number starting with 62 are eligible for a 10% discount.
  • This is a limited-time offer subject to promotional availability on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • UnionPay Cardholders can receive a 10% discount (up to US$62 per transaction) issued to your card account for eligible Points purchases charged to your UnionPay credit card. A maximum of five individual transactions with a combined total discount of US$310 per cardholder is permitted during the promotion period.
  • The UnionPay 10% discount can be combined with other eligible Points Purchase promotions.
  • The 10% discount will be applied after a purchase is completed. If a registered UnionPay card is used, the final billed amount will reflect the 10% discount on your card statement.
  • Members who elect to purchase Marriott Bonvoy Points using their UnionPay single-logo credit cards (with card number starting with digits 62) can do so by choosing Discover/UnionPay as their payment option.
  • Promotion is subject to UnionPay Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
  • The offer is made by a US entity for a global point program and purchase can only be made in USD out of China. Shanghai Gingerroot Hotel Management Co., Ltd., or any Marriott Chinese entity has nothing to do with the offer. UnionPay Cardholders can redeem their Marriott Bonvoy Points at all hotels worldwide that participate in Marriott Bonvoy.
UnionPay TOS links to http://www.unionpayintl.com/cardhold...nt?language=cn

I don’t have my card right now (will have it tomorrow) so can’t confirm
  • Does this card start in 62
  • What is a UnionPay single-logo card and is this card one of them
  • $62 max discount means 50,000 points + 50% bonus maxes out this discount for one transaction but you can do it 5 times per card. However you can only purchase or receive 100,000 points per account per year
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
I don’t have my card right now (will have it tomorrow) so can’t confirm
  • Does this card start in 62
  • What is a UnionPay single-logo card and is this card one of them
  • $62 max discount means 50,000 points + 50% bonus maxes out this discount for one transaction but you can do it 5 times per card. However you can only purchase or receive 100,000 points per account per year
Yes, this card starts with a 62.

Yes, this is a single-logo card. There are dual-logo cards issued in China that have both UnionPay and Visa branding.

I can't speak to the Marriott promo itself, but it looks like this card should be eligible based on the T&Cs.
gudugan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yes, this card starts with a 62.

Yes, this is a single-logo card. There are dual-logo cards issued in China that have both UnionPay and Visa branding.

I can't speak to the Marriott promo itself, but it looks like this card should be eligible based on the T&Cs.
Ok cool thanks a lot! Will buy points tomorrow and report back if it works
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:56 pm

Bought points today. On the "Account Activity" screen on ICBC, it shows up as:

03-05-2022 MARRIOTT BY POINTS.COM POINTS.COM USA CAT USD XXX.XX Card#YYYY USD XXX.XX

Where XXX.XX is the USD amount after the 10% discount. Looks good!
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:16 am

I still have this card and question why I have it.
The card expired in March 2023. They claimed they sent a card in February 2023, never arrived. Claimed they sent a new card again in March 2023, never arrived. I have never used it for a significant transaction other than the Marriott promotion listed above.

Since I've spent 2 months trying unsuccessfully to get a replacement card, of course it's not here for my trip to China, which defeats the point of getting the card in the first place. It's also inferior to an actual China-based debit or credit card (see ICBC US Union Pay credit card experience) as it can't be linked to Alipay or WeChat pay and according to DPs gets declined randomly.
At least I'm not paying an annual fee...

BTW there is new language on the site that says
If you wish to apply for our credit card, please email us at [email protected] and indicate which product you’d like to apply. You may also visit one of our branches to apply in person. Please kindly note that only existing ICBC USA customers are eligible to apply for any credit card. New customers with no current banking relationship may open a deposit account to be eligible for a card application. Only U.S. Citizens or Permanent Resides are eligible to apply for ICBC USA UnionPay cards.
A deposit account was not required previously when I applied for the card sometime in the past two years.

Last edited by gudugan; Apr 27, 2023 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Yes something certainly changed with them. When my card expired recently, they weren't going to send me anything unless I emailed them (using a form in their website). And when my Driver License on file expired, they asked me for a copy before they could send a renewal card (and that was 3 yrs ago).

And that is also the other thing - the card is only valid for 3 years while others are typically 5.

I think I can get my 1% cashback from other cards, I mostly only use this at Ranch99 these days.

You should be able to get AliPay funded through a different channel like Swapsy and not bother with this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:31 pm

I got asked for the Driver's license too.

Alipay / WeChat pay don't accept p2p payments unless you're verified with a Chinese bank account (more details in Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai).
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Yes, that is true for WeChat (i.e. we're all screwed without a Chinese ID and/or bank account) but I thought AliPay accepts foreign passports (for its real name verification) as long as you own a Chinese cell number which is easy to get from eBay. Granted you would still be considered "second class citizen" and will have lower limits in terms of how much balance you carry, but if I recall still in the CNY 9000-10,000 range (which is about USD 1,500-2,000 - enough if you're just a tourist). The tourist version of all these are a joke, of course.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jamester
Yes something certainly changed with them. When my card expired recently, they weren't going to send me anything unless I emailed them (using a form in their website). And when my Driver License on file expired, they asked me for a copy before they could send a renewal card (and that was 3 yrs ago).
It was similar for me except they didn't e-mail me proactively. I waited for the replacement card, which previously arrived on its own, but one never showed up. When I reached out, ICBC requested my DL. I only got this card for use in Mainland China, but for obvious reasons I haven't been there in over 3 years.

I'll still keep the card for future travel, but I haven't made more than one small transaction stateside since December 2019.

Finally, when I applied for the card in November 2016, the employee in the branch said I needed a bank account. Their minimum balance is now $1,000 to avoid a monthly fee if that is a consideration for anyone looking to get this card now.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this. I never got a renewal card when mine expired last fall so I called and was told one was sent. It was mostly useless in mainland China anyway.
Majuki likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this. I never got a renewal card when mine expired last fall so I called and was told one was sent. It was mostly useless in mainland China anyway.
I've had better experiences in Mainland China with this card versus trying to use a card tied to a different payment network.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 6:41 pm

In Mainland China I can't actually find anyone with a card reader to test this out. I saw one vending machine that allegedly accepted UnionPay but forgot about it and then other similar ones only accepted AliPay or WeChat Pay. I asked a hotel front desk to use it for a security deposit but they didn't have a card reader.

However I will keep trying for the sake of data points.

Tried to add it to AliPay, more details here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35226838-post370.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.