FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   US based Union Pay card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1756450-us-based-union-pay-card.html)

EasyD Mar 30, 2016 7:36 pm

US based Union Pay card?

Does such a thing exist? No particular need for one... Mostly want one for hack value. :) Just like the JCB card issued by JCB USA!

tmiw Mar 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Unfortunately I don't think there are any. I do wonder though--is that due to the terms of Discover's deal with them or are there other factors involved?

garykung Mar 31, 2016 3:23 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 26412897)
Unfortunately I don't think there are any. I do wonder though--is that due to the terms of Discover's deal with them or are there other factors involved?

Which merchants in the U.S. accept Union Pay?

This is your answer.

photaco Mar 31, 2016 5:35 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 26413669)
Which merchants in the U.S. accept Union Pay?

All* of the ones that accept Discover. You can even see the UnionPay network logo at places from Sam's Club to Saks Fifth Avenue.

jamar Mar 31, 2016 10:34 am

Closest place to get one is Canada.

EasyD Mar 31, 2016 11:17 am

Is it practical to open an account in Canada as an American?

Looks like Hong Kong might be an option as well... Looks like all the big banks have kinda steep minimum balances or high monthly fees...

jamar Mar 31, 2016 11:53 am

I don't think there's much paperwork involved if you just want a prepaid card. If you want a full bank account, it's still really not too much work- fill out the form, give them your SSN for FATCA reporting purposes, and you get a bank account with UnionPay debit card. The selling point in Canada is that it's only got a fixed foreign ATM fee whereas most banks charge a fixed fee and 2.5%+ on top.

However, the only bank that issues them charges C$4 a month if you don't maintain a minimum C$1000 balance. It used to be completely free, but they changed that last year.

EasyD Mar 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 26415855)
I don't think there's much paperwork involved if you just want a prepaid card. If you want a full bank account, it's still really not too much work- fill out the form, give them your SSN for FATCA reporting purposes, and you get a bank account with UnionPay debit card. The selling point in Canada is that it's only got a fixed foreign ATM fee whereas most banks charge a fixed fee and 2.5%+ on top.

However, the only bank that issues them charges C$4 a month if you don't maintain a minimum C$1000 balance. It used to be completely free, but they changed that last year.

Can you point me towards this bank?

Thanks!

MVF Trekker Mar 31, 2016 7:17 pm

UnionPay started in China and was used mostly around Asia. They wanted to start their own network so they are sort of like Discover and JCB from Japan.
I don't think that any US banks issued those cards as there's no demand for them here. Perhaps, in Canada because they have a lot of expats from Asia.
UnionPay does have reciprocity agreements with most US banks and Discover. You're able to use their cards at over 90% of ATMs in North America. There's also an increasing number of merchants accepting it such as Amazon. Expect possibly a lot of fees just to manage to get one so it may not even be worth it.

MVF Trekker Mar 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamar (Post 26415855)

Are you sure they don't ask for a proof of address in Canada? Last time I inquired, they asked for that and a SIN.

jamar Mar 31, 2016 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker (Post 26418109)
Are you sure they don't ask for a proof of address in Canada? Last time I inquired, they asked for that and a SIN.

I'm pretty sure ICBK doesn't ask for a SIN or proof of address. You just provide an address, ideally one you can receive mail at. I believe they do this to accommodate Chinese people who aren't yet resident in Canada but need an account ready on arrival.

EasyD Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Looks like I'm not the only person interested in a US based UnionPay card... ICBC-US looks like they will be launching cards in July!

See here.

Is anyone in the NYC or SFO area able to visit a branch in person and see if more details are available?

--D

photaco Jun 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Is it a foregone conclusion that this will be limited to New York, California, and Washington (ala JCB USA)?

EasyD Jun 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by photaco (Post 26789186)
Is it a foregone conclusion that this will be limited to New York, California, and Washington (ala JCB USA)?

I hope not! There's a press release from April that sure makes it sound like it won't be geographically restricted...

http://en.xinfinance.com/html/Indust...6/218098.shtml

Hoping someone local can find out... :)

HGHUA Jun 16, 2016 6:29 pm

ICBC had ads all over the seattle chinatown station. Literally every billboard. Unfortunately the card pictured was a regular Visa, Not even a signature. Small chance it may be co-branded with Union Pay (perhaps on the other side of the card?) though...