Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:04 am

For those who frequently do AOR, are yours CC statements only show CVS spending? Have u ever got into trouble by just meeting MS with GC/VR only spending?

Last edited by chongwj8; Aug 13, 2013 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:43 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to build up about 300,000 points in 6 months? I was able to do about 133k in travel points in 3 months last year with only 2 cards. Not seeing too many good 50k deals though this time around.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by rust1d
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it is possible to build up about 300,000 points in 6 months? I was able to do about 133k in travel points in 3 months last year with only 2 cards. Not seeing too many good 50k deals though this time around.
Check the Citi AA deal. Currently allowing massive churning at 50k a pop.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rust1d
Hey guys,

Assuming you can meet the minimum spend, you should be able to get at least 200k in a little over 6 months with the Citi AA card. 100k every 65 days, and depending on how fast you can meet the minimums, you may be able to squeak in with the full 300k in a little over 6 months.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
So obviously one of the very important aspects of AORs is knowing your credit history and score, knowing who's done a hard pull from which bureau, etc. It sounds like lots of people here check theirs on a regular basis. What sites/services do you use to keep a close watch on this information, but not cost an arm and a leg to do so?
CIti identity monitor is good. You can even churn it with the $1 trial.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Did you mean AoR instead of churn?

+1 for the Starwood personal and business. Ink Bold and Ink Plus for 50k UR each is another contender.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Starwood Personal
2 more Citi AA (see thread for detail on why you can do this now)

If open to biz: Starwood Biz and Chase Ink Bold

If not open to biz: Chase BA (since you fly AA I assume you could get use out of BA miles)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by sound48
I'm planning my next AOR at the end of the month and like a lot of people I was looking for input:

Cards I have:
Amex: SPG, PRG, Business Gold, Blue Cash Preferred, Hilton Hhonors,
Citi: CSP, British Airways, Ink Plus
Citi: AA Visa, AA Business
Barclays: US Airways
BOA: Hawaiian Airlines
BOH: Hawaiian Airlines
US Bank: Club Carlson, Club Carlson Business

My last AOR was the end of Feb. I was denied on a Barclays card because I didn't have much of a history with Barclays at the time. Since then I've put some spend on the US Airways card to create a history of spend. I also had to cancel the United Explorer and Ink Bold for British Airways and Ink Plus approval.

I'm looking into:
SPG Business (Definitely going to go after)
Barclays Arrival (Definitely going to go after)
Alaska Airlines 40K
United Business 50K
Citi AA Visa 50K, possibly another or Citi Hilton the next week. (Probably going after at least 1 AA Visa)

Questions
1.I don't really want to close any Chase cards at the moment. If the CSP Mastercard ever becomes available again I'd like to cancel the Visa and go after it but I don't know if that will ever happen. It's been six months since my last applications and since then I've gotten an additional form of income to supplement my income. Would that be enough with 6 months between applications and the raise in income where I could apply for a Chase card and not have to worry about closing a card or should I wait longer? My first Chase card was opened September last year.

2.Assuming I get automatic approval for the Arrival, would it be pushing it to apply for a second Barclays card like another US Air?

3.I got the AA Visa last September, would there be any issues going after at least one and possibly two new AA Visa cards over a week period having one already? I was going to cancel the old one soon anyway to avoid the fee.

4.Last couple AOR I applied for 6 cards each time, that's why I waited 6 months for the next round. I was thinking of only going after 4 this time so I can apply again in 3 or 4 months. Does that seem like a small enough amount for that to work? There's many more cards I'd like to apply for, but I don't want to screw it up for next time.
2. Yes.
3. Probably not. I got the AA Visa in Feb and the AA Biz Visa in April and was just approved for another (personal) AA Visa.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:44 pm

Just completed an AOR:

1. Barclays US Airways - still have an open USAir card I opened in Dec 2011. No decision (assume declined)
2. Barclays Arrival - I was only going to apply for this if USAir was declined, my hope being that it would only result in the single inquiry and I can call recon about the Arrival. No decision.
3. SPG Personal - Approved instantly. Already have BCP, BGR (got in Feb)
4. SPG Business - No decision. Expected since I just submitted the SPG Personal app, but I'm hoping for one inquiry from Amex.
5. Chase IHG Club - Approved instantly. Already have Freedom, United, Amazon with Chase.
6. Citi AA Visa - Approved via chat. Already have AA Amex, AA Visa biz with Citi.

Went about as expected. Hopefully I can push the SPG Biz through.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:00 pm

Thanks everyone! Looks like booking using my US miles is going to be it for Maui. I'll save my UR points for my NZ trip and churn those AA cards in the meantime.

Anyone think it's worth it to get the United Mileageplus Explorer card now? Is there an link/offer for more than just 30K. I've heard there's a 50K or 55K link floating around somewhere, but can't seem to find the post about it!

You all rock, thanks again!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by chookshook
CIti identity monitor is good. You can even churn it with the $1 trial.
Looks pretty decent. Not at the $12.95/month price, but it's not bad at $4.95/month. It would be nice if it let you pull reports & scores more than once a month, and if the scores were actually FICO, but I guess you can't have it all.

Any other credit score & reporting monitoring suggestions, or is Identity Monitor about as good as it gets?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
My experience is Amex waits 5 days to consider the SPG Biz after a personal app. 2 HPs.

Originally Posted by dukerau
Just completed an AOR:

1. Barclays US Airways - still have an open USAir card I opened in Dec 2011. No decision (assume declined)
2. Barclays Arrival - I was only going to apply for this if USAir was declined, my hope being that it would only result in the single inquiry and I can call recon about the Arrival. No decision.
3. SPG Personal - Approved instantly. Already have BCP, BGR (got in Feb)
4. SPG Business - No decision. Expected since I just submitted the SPG Personal app, but I'm hoping for one inquiry from Amex.
5. Chase IHG Club - Approved instantly. Already have Freedom, United, Amazon with Chase.
6. Citi AA Visa - Approved via chat. Already have AA Amex, AA Visa biz with Citi.

Went about as expected. Hopefully I can push the SPG Biz through.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Will this work in earning all the sign up bonuses?

April, year1 - apply for personal platinum
October, year1 - apply for biz platinum
March, year2 - cancel personal platinum
April, year2 - apply for MB platinum
September, year2 - cancel biz platinum
October, year2 - apply for personal PRG
March, year3 - cancel MB platinum
April, year3 - apply for biz PRG
September, year3 - cancel personal PRG
October, year3 - apply for another AMEX not listed above

Repeat
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Ben21
Assuming you can meet the minimum spend, you should be able to get at least 200k in a little over 6 months with the Citi AA card. 100k every 65 days, and depending on how fast you can meet the minimums, you may be able to squeak in with the full 300k in a little over 6 months.
Thanks! I will probably just buy some VRs etc and do a combination of paying bills with BB and simply using the funds to pay off the card. I usually combine it with some amazon payments as well...that is always good for 1k per month.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Mini AOR for me just completed yesterday:

SPG Biz Amex (Already had personnal): Instant approval
Hyatt Chase: Pending, called reconsideration, told me I was approved but they need a couple of days to connect with Hyatt to generate account number. Said don't worry it's all good.
Ink Bold: Pending, called recon, a few questions and got approved.

Nice little tally for minimal work. Didn't consider any other card since I have most of the ones I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.