Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Can CK report a higher score than your actual TransUnion? Obviously it can report a lower score such as in your case.
Absolutely. CK is providing their estimate of your TU FICO score. It can be higher or lower.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
I have done it mid-AOR after Amex and Citi, since they never agree to pull another, to get Chase, Barclays, and BOA to pull others and had success.

For Amex I have had them come back days later on the 2nd card and insist on the pin to access Experian.

Freezing after the fact should not impact anything that already happened.
Thanks, the response I was looking for about Amex and after the fact.

I did freeze before a Chase app once (ink) but they were not willing to pull another, ymmv I guess.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:45 pm

Finding any award tickets for February or for that matter to Hawaii now is a challenge unless you pick the anytime.. the 22.5K is hardly available
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfmom
I can't believe we can/should apply for two Citis in 9 days. Feel a little nervous about that one. All thoughts appreciated!
For some reason Citi is allow this to happen, don't worry ride the wave, I applied for my second Citi AA card today and was approved, partner will apply tomorrow and will wait 8 days to do it again, it has been 70 days since his last Citi cards, so he is ripe for two more, this will give him enough AA miles for our big next year..

BTW, think about the Freedom Card, the extra bonus points each quarter add's up...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Seems like you got it down but that's an awful lot of minimum spend to meet. You both should have enough miles to mix and match oneworld and star alliance flights. You can PM me if you have more questions.
Hi all,

This is my first post -- and my first attempt at an AOR. I've tried to do my research so I'll keep it simple. Goal is international premium travel on Star Alliance and OneWorld.

Round 1:
Me: Chase Mileage Explorer (I have 50k offer), Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum Visa, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

Husband: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

9 Days Later: We both apply for Citi Aadvantage again

Three months later:

Me: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Husband: Chase MileagePlus Club, CitiBusiness Aadvantage Visa

I can't believe we can/should apply for two Citis in 9 days. Feel a little nervous about that one. All thoughts appreciated!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:22 am

Hi all,

This is my first post -- and my first attempt at an AOR. I've tried to do my research so I'll keep it simple. Goal is international premium travel on Star Alliance and OneWorld.

Round 1:
Me: Chase Mileage Explorer (I have 50k offer), Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum Visa, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

Husband: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, Citi Aadvantage Platinum, Starwood Preferred Guest Amex

9 Days Later: We both apply for Citi Aadvantage again

Three months later:

Me: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Husband: Chase MileagePlus Club, CitiBusiness Aadvantage Visa

Awesome churn
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:51 am

Thank you for all your input!

Flight nurse, thanks for your thoughts. I keep worrying the banks will cut me off, though it sounds like that rarely happens. We are planning to put a lot of spend on the Amex SPG and the Club, so I am a little less worried about them. I may get another Freedom down the line - wondered if we could max out categories twice - we'll see how we do.

Romsdeals, you are right - I was amazed how much it was when I added it up. I think it was over $45,000! We have a renovation coming - I alerted my contractor that I want to pay for everything myself - plus my husband runs a small business and we spend a lot on cards. Finally I know some people disagree but we pay taxes quarterly and I'm planning on putting them on our Club and SPG - at 1.5 points per dollar it works out to paying 1.26 cents a mile for United, and 1.5 cents per SPG mile. I basically am holding off buying anything these last few weeks. We should be OK but keeping track will require a lot more coordination and monitoring than I am used to! My husband is amused that I am *finally* paying attention to my spending habits. LOL

Jwemtx - thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Check My First App-O-Rama Plan

Current Cards (Pre-Churning)
1-Chase Sapphire (only one with any age on it at all)
2-BankAmericard Travel Rewards
3-Barclays US Air Card (doesn't show on Credit Karma) (have held for 6 months so far)
4-United Explorer Card (recently cancelled after 1 year)
5-SPG Amex (instantly approved 4 days ago)
6-Capital One Business Spark Visa (Cash rewards, not showing on Credit Karma)
7-Chase Ink Biz Bold (not showing on Credit Karma)
8-Barclays Bank Delaware Card (showing on Credit Karma, but I do not recognize this card at all. not carrying a balance)

First App-O-Rama Plan
1-Barclay US Air Mastercard
2-Barclay Arrival Mastercard
3-AmEx Gold Delta
4-Chase BA Visa
5-Citi Business AAdvantage
6-Chase United Business Card

Total required spend (including SPG): $11.5k in 6 months
Total miles: 165k + $444

Credit Karma and Sesame have my score in the 760-790 range. I think with manufactured spend (new to this) I can spend appx. 2k a month on credit cards with some room to spare.

Questions:
1. Am I likely to get approved for each of these?
2. Is this a good plan? Any suggestions for removals/additions/replacements?
3. Should I do this now, or wait for a particular bonus offer?

Context:
I really like to travel internationally, with some domestic travel. I almost always travel alone, so I don't value companion passes. I expect to get *A gold soonish (Aegean), and I have 140k there (UA), 30k on US Air, 50k on UR. My goals are just to save money and enable more international travel.

Thanks!

Last edited by jmj8778; Aug 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reason: reflecting advice given in thread
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
you wont get both Barclay cards, pick one...I'd go with Arrival Card
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:15 am

Unlikely to get both Barclays I would imagine.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
I say the same. Go with arrival because my recent us air was denied because I already had a us air card. Not saying you can't get it but you most likely won't be able to get both us air and arrival.

By the way, your number 8 is your number 3.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:25 am

What made you pull the trigger on the SPG Amex four days ago and not as part of the AOR? That could affect your proposed Amex Gold Delta.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
I say the same. Go with arrival because my recent us air was denied because I already had a us air card. Not saying you can't get it but you most likely won't be able to get both us air and arrival.

By the way, your number 8 is your number 3.
Thanks! Adjusted my original post... that helps clear up the confusion I was having.

So it looks like this is a good plan? Or would people recommend additions/subtractions?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by patternseverywhere
What made you pull the trigger on the SPG Amex four days ago and not as part of the AOR? That could affect your proposed Amex Gold Delta.
Do you think I'll still get it or should I not apply for the Amex Gold Delta?

To answer your question, plain stupidity. The bloggers were raving about it and I hadn't researched churning or learned about AoR yet. It was the impetus for learning about all this and doing this research.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:44 am

Why do you want the gold delta card? The miles aren't worth much. If I were you I would add another chase card instead to save a pull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.