Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Personally I much rather to have the 30K US miles with $1 spend then the Arrival card if Barclays only let me have one card at a time. Multiple US cards work far better. Plan to have No.5 2 to 3 months from now, after getting the bonus on No.4 today. Virtually no work and the bonuses have much higher value in my book.
You don't have cards #1-#4 open still do you?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I decided to challenge the "DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH" category of my GOL airline tickets.

I sent a SM, we'll see what happens
Good luck! I've found if you push it beyond their initial reply to a manual review it tends to get approved.

I've been considering appealing another Freight Train code on passenger rail, but I'll probably just get a refundable plane ticket instead...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Good luck! I've found if you push it beyond their initial reply to a manual review it tends to get approved.

I've been considering appealing another Freight Train code on passenger rail, but I'll probably just get a refundable plane ticket instead...
As soon as I finished reading your comment, I got an email reply stating "we don't choose the merchant code"

Should I reply back asking for a manual review or should I call in? What exactly should I say when I call in or reply?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:58 am

As soon as I finished reading your comment, I got an email reply stating "we don't choose the merchant code"

Should I reply back asking for a manual review or should I call in? What exactly should I say when I call in or reply?
You can either message or call, but I basically replied that their limits were much more arbitrary than competing products like Capital One Venture and that they should be able to make a manual redemption since it is obviously travel related. I mentioned how I may be more likely to use the Venture if I am unable to redeem travel charges on Arrival. They replied that my request would be manually reviewed. A week later the redemption appeared.

I'm not sure how repeatable it is. Now I have the freight train issue and a hotel that coded my entire stay as a bar tab (they don't even serve drinks or food). Rather than fight it again I'll just use the alternative less ethical method.

Last edited by LoneTree; Apr 9, 2014 at 5:03 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:06 am

You can either message or call, but I basically replied that their limits were much more arbitrary than competing products like Capital One Venture and that they should be able to make a manual redemption since it is obviously travel related. I mentioned how I may be more likely to use the Venture if I am unable to redeem travel charges on Arrival. They replied that my request would be manually reviewed. A week later the redemption appeared.

I'm not sure how repeatable it is. Now I have the freight train issue and a hotel that coded my entire stay as a bar tab (they don't even serve drinks or food). Rather than fight it again I'll just use the alternative less ethical method.
Hmmm. That poses a problem since I don't have the points necessary for the redemption and I have about $1700 in line before I get to this. I guess I'll hold off until I have the points then request it manually
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:11 am

Hmmm. That poses a problem since I don't have the points necessary for the redemption and I have about $1700 in line before I get to this. I guess I'll hold off until I have the points then request it manually
You might be able to request points for the inconvenience in the meantime. They threw 5000 points at me like candy.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You would have to MS a TON to generate enough $ to cover a cruise.

Unless you are lucky enough to be on West Coast and have access to the no fee Pay Power and could buy as many as you want, chances are, the most gain you would get, NET of the cost of MS, is a 1.1% return.

For a $5K worth of cruise, totally paid by the card earnings NET of the MS cost, it would mean said person needs to MS roughly $455K. That is A LOT of MS Work to do to generate that amount. This is just basic MATH that anyone could plug it in a calculator to show it. Even a math-challenged person could do it if s/he understand how a percentage works - $450,000 x 0.011 = $4,950. Try it on your calculator and you would see how much MS required to generate that $5K after the MS cost.

If you can MS that much $ to pay for your travel - then hats off to you as you obviously have a lot of time to &quot;invest&quot; in this.

Now, if you are using a 5x card versus a 2x card - the story would be different because now the earning rate NET after the cost, on a 5x card would be 4% - that is 300% more than the Arrival card's 1.1% Net after cost. But we are talking Arrival here that is a 2x only.

So for a 5x card, after cost it really is a 4x - the same $5K only needs $125,000 MS to generate - that is A LOT LESS MS WORK TO DO, and many can manage this in several months time, not to mention there is no need to redeem the &quot;mile&quot; with a travel expense in order to get that 1.1% net return, as the 5x card is 100% cash rebate that you can use it on whatever and however you want to use it. That is why even with the $440 bonus, it is not the best card out there to generate your spending cash.
You can believe what you want, but it's really not that hard to generate that many points, nor does it cost NEARLY what you claim it does. Additionally the arrival allows you to rack up obscene points without even USING it.

I make a profit on my MS or at the very least break even. So when I put all my math together it looks nothing like yours.

But of course thanks for assuming we all MS your way and it has to cost money to generate points.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Quote:

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo

I just had a strange thing happen when trying to redeem for one cruise ticket.

Price of one 7 day cruise ticket was $573.41, I noticed when I went to redeem, it gave me an option of using 57,400 miles to pay for the trip. I redeemed, it said congratulations, and then I noticed it did not deduct any miles.

I tried this two times, and both times it said my purchase was complete... yet no miles were deducted from my account.

This glitch ever happen to anyone else??

To update this, I sent a secure message to Barclaycard and they said I had to call in to make the redemption. Very strange. They processed the cash back for travel over the phone and say it should take effect in 24 hours.

This is the first time I could not make a redemption through the website.
Another update: miles still have not been redeemed. I called customer service and they are opening an investigation of some sort and it may take 30 days to get this sorted out.

I'm pretty annoyed / frustrated right now. I think this is the first reported case of someone NOT being able to redeem Arrival miles.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:03 pm

Yeah, I don't have much problem generating enough points for a cruise. If I could MS totally on my AMEX BCs, I would of course do that. I don't want to sabotage that opportunity though. That's where the Arrival card comes into play. I "earn" about $200 net (towards a cruise or something else) for each trip I make to Walmart.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:19 pm

can you still call in to get the 1k spend offer?

also, to contribute: shows in vegas do show up as redeemable travel if you purchase the tickets through the hotel

Last edited by llbad; Apr 9, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Can't See Rewards History

Has anyone else come across this? When I click on "Rewards History" in my account, the history flashes for a split second and then disappears, followed by: "No rewards activity available." I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone has. Thanks.

xlax
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by llbad
can you still call in to get the 1k spend offer?

also, to contribute: shows in vegas do show up as redeemable travel if you purchase the tickets through the hotel

No you cannot still call to get the 1k offer.

Originally Posted by bu08usc11
I know people like to cancel to avoid AFs but this card is way worth it. Why jeopardize not getting it again or your relationship with Barclays over a fee that you earn back in a week or two of MSing?

Looks like you'll be able to downgrade to the no annual fee version anyway. But really the Arrival is only worth it for the first year sign up bonus. Then you're going to be better off with the fidelity amex that is a flat 2% cash back unless you're spending $44,450 a year or more on the Arrival to offset the annual fee by the extra 0.2% back.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Then you're going to be better off with the fidelity amex that is a flat 2% cash back unless you're spending $44,450 a year or more on the Arrival to offset the annual fee by the extra 0.2% back.
With 4X Barclay Boost on Amex gift cards, that's not that hard to do.

If you use TripIt Pro, don't forget the free subscription there. It costs $49 although there are some coupons that bring it down to $29 or $39 at some points of the year. I love TripIt Pro and would totally pay for it, so I considering the Arrival a $50/year card (take average price of TripIt off).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:29 pm

The barclay travel commuity just went from 200./story to 150/story

and I just started a couple of days ago, but it seems like they also imposed a 5 limit / city thing
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:15 pm

The barclay travel commuity just went from 200./story to 150/story

and I just started a couple of days ago, but it seems like they also imposed a 5 limit / city thing
Well that's an unwelcomed change...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.