Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[quote deleted]

If you can see the difference, you should have known that it would be a miracle to pull it off as travel expenses especially with Barclays being so strict on how the merchants coded themselves, that it would not even allow some foreign national rail companies ticket purchases as travel expenses because the damn foreign rail companies coded themselves being Freight, instead of being Passenger Trains...

Why wouldn't you do it for the team and report back so everyone could benefit?

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Apr 17, 2014 at 9:24 am Reason: removed quote from deleted post
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by bu08usc11
Well when it was 4x it was actually 6x (2x card + 4x site; a 3k order netted 6k + 12k for 18k miles). It's gone down today to 2x so it's now 4x total (or 6k + 6k for 12k total miles).

That is still $120 toward travel plus the 10% bonus when used to it's effectively $132 towards travel for $3.95 + liquidation costs (with OV total cost is $33.65 for $132 in travel).

Obviously the 6x total was nicer which netted 19,800 after bonus or $198.00 per $33.65 spent but you are still getting great value.
I appreciate your post and that of cdancer20.

Am I to understand that I can take my current method of MS (buying Simon GCs) and improve on it by buying AMEX GCs through the Barclay's portal? And, I apologize but I don't understand the referenced calculation.

I understand it adds an extra step for me but I do benefit, right, with 4xs points, rather than only 2 points per card? I looked on the portal but only saw the mention of 2 points per shopping. What defines the BOOST? Please advise.

I wouldn't mind the extra step because of my low Barclays CL; I would buy more Simon GCs using other CCs, including a CB CC that returns 1.5%. Gas is cheaper on that side of town so the extra CB will about cover it.

Thank you.

Last edited by jan_believes; Apr 16, 2014 at 9:55 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:50 pm

Any problem using free shipping codes on the AMEX gift card site and the posting of RewardBoost miles?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:47 pm

I don't know if this is old news or not (scanned the thread, but may have missed it), but I successfully used the travel purchase eraser yesterday on a train ticket I purchased at Trenitalia online. It was coded as Other Travel, and when I used the eraser, it prompted me to select how many tickets were included in the order, then proceeded as usual to complete the reward purchase.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

We'll be traveling by train in Europe this summer, has anyone tried to redeem for high speed rail yet?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jan_believes

Am I to understand that I can take my current method of MS (buying Simon GCs) and improve on it by buying AMEX GCs through the Barclay's portal? And, I apologize but I don't understand the referenced calculation.

I understand it adds an extra step for me but I do benefit, right, with 4xs points, rather than only 2 points per card? I looked on the portal but only saw the mention of 2 points per shopping. What defines the BOOST? Please advise.

I wouldn't mind the extra step because of my low Barclays CL; I would buy more Simon GCs using other CCs, including a CB CC that returns 1.5%. Gas is cheaper on that side of town so the extra CB will about cover it.

Thank you.
Currently the amount is 2x points. Sometimes, it's better to find other portals that offer more such as from time to time topcashback may offer 3% cashback. The BOOST part is IN ADDITION to the 2x that you already receive. So if it says 2x on BOOST, then you get 2x from BOOST and 2x for your Arrival purchase for a total of 4x (well 4.4x if you include the 10% after-bonus). So yes you can take the method you already do to another step (I believe. I don't know what Simon GCs are.) Purchase the Amex GC and then use that to purchase your Simon GC. The extra 2%+ cashback usually covers all purchases fees so you come out at a profit. Again I am speaking of buying normal Visa/MC GCs if that's what Simon GCs are as well. You should also read the Amex GC thread.

Originally Posted by Ctrix65513
Any problem using free shipping codes on the AMEX gift card site and the posting of RewardBoost miles?
You should see the Amex GC specific thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rumbs-2-a.html
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes

Thank you.
Yeah.

The method I use is buying the AMEX GC and then using those to buy OV/VGC.

So for calculations if using my Barclays Card:

2x for the Arrival + 2-4x for the Portal = 4-6x miles for using the Arrival Card depending on the promotion at that time (always 2x, sometimes 4x).

So let's do some math:

Currently you buy $3,000 in Simon VGC at 500/each and 2.95 fee. That's going to get you 6,000 miles (3k @ 2x) for $17.70 + MO fees (or free if you use BB). When you redeem the miles you get a 10% bonus. So you effectively get 6,600 miles (worth $66 travel) for $17.70. That's a 73% discount on travel.

If you buy a $3k Amex GC to use to buy the VGC it would break down as follows at the current 2x Boost. You would get 6,000 miles for the purchase of the AGC + 6,000 miles for the Boost. The AGC costs 3.95. Then you have to purchase the VGC for $17.70 and liquidate (again MO fees or free with BB). So you now have 12,000 miles which get the 10% bonus on redeem so functionally you have 13,200 that cost you $21.65. So you would be getting $132 in travel for $21.65. That's an 84% discount on travel.

When the portal is at 4x Boost your return is 6,000 miles + 12,000 miles for 18,000 miles + 10% bonus = 19,800 miles or $198 in travel for $21.65 or 90% discount on travel with Simon VGC.

So doing the AGC route saves you about 11% on travel costs over what you are already saving doing the VGC route.

Of course, if Simon won't let you use an AGC to buy their VGC then you are going to have to liquidate by buying the $4.95 VGC/OV and your costs will be almost identical to the just straight purchase of Simon VGC. The Simon VGC is easier and cleaner if you have unlimited access. Many of us do not though and therefore the AGC to buy OV/VGC at CVS is more lucrative than just buying OV/VGC straight away at CVS.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Happy
[quote deleted]

If you can see the difference, you should have known that it would be a miracle to pull it off as travel expenses especially with Barclays being so strict on how the merchants coded themselves, that it would not even allow some foreign national rail companies ticket purchases as travel expenses because the damn foreign rail companies coded themselves being Freight, instead of being Passenger Trains...

Why wouldn't you do it for the team and report back so everyone could benefit?
That's the entire point. It's why it was a stretch. No one would guess that show tickets through a hotel would count, but they do. The whole point of asking, again, sweetheart, was because if it had been done and one of the brokers actually did work it would be nice to know and add it to the wiki.

Perhaps a purchase through a hotel in NY? A purchase of tickets through a site like Priceline when you also book a hotel/airfare? etc. [edit]

Last edited by philemer; Apr 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reason: TOS violation removed
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jstilwe
I don't know if this is old news or not (scanned the thread, but may have missed it), but I successfully used the travel purchase eraser yesterday on a train ticket I purchased at Trenitalia online. It was coded as Other Travel, and when I used the eraser, it prompted me to select how many tickets were included in the order, then proceeded as usual to complete the reward purchase.
That is a good news because as recent as last month, the Trenitalia showed up as Freight per posts in this thread, as well as own experience with Chase CSP. So the Italians finally got their acts together. (OT, The site lost the email function to send tickets to the email address in file but now it put a box of "alternative email address" in the final screen - so the e-tickets are still sent out instead of stuck in your online account.)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bu08usc11
That's the entire point. It's why it was a stretch. No one would guess that show tickets through a hotel would count, but they do. The whole point of asking, again, sweetheart, was because if it had been done and one of the brokers actually did work it would be nice to know and add it to the wiki.

Perhaps a purchase through a hotel in NY? A purchase of tickets through a site like Priceline when you also book a hotel/airfare? etc. [edit]
Quite the contrary, I would fully expect tickets booked thru hotel and billed to your room would count - as it is just part of the bill you settle at check out - even it is the ONLY component of the bill if you stay on points for example.

Booked thru Priceline or Expedia or similar travel agencies probably would count. Booked thru a broker, it most likely would not count.

The key I believe, lies in the merchant's classification - if the merchant is classified as a provider of travel related products, chances are, anything billed thru such merchant would count. If a merchant is only a regular retailer, chances are, purchases thru that merchant would not count.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:53 pm

Has anyone tried buying Hilton Gift cards ? It costs $1.95 ( shipping) to see if it works.

I won't have a chance to use my ~ 15K remaining points before the AF so rather than just take ~$75 in cash I may give it a shot.

I don't see anything in the wiki about GC's being successful or denied but according to Barclay I should be good.

You can redeem your miles for travel and cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Travel statement credit redemptions start at 2,500 miles for $25, for any travel purchase within the last 90 days. A Travel purchase is defined as: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies. Cash back statement credit redemptions start at 2,500 miles for $12.50. Gift card redemptions start at 5,000 miles for $25. Merchandise redemption values vary based on what you are redeeming for. To view all of your reward options or to redeem, please visit the Manage your rewards page.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Has anyone tried buying Hilton Gift cards ? It costs $1.95 ( shipping) to see if it works.

I won't have a chance to use my ~ 15K remaining points before the AF so rather than just take ~$75 in cash I may give it a shot.

I don't see anything in the wiki about GC's being successful or denied but according to Barclay I should be good.

You can redeem your miles for travel and cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Travel statement credit redemptions start at 2,500 miles for $25, for any travel purchase within the last 90 days. A Travel purchase is defined as: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies. Cash back statement credit redemptions start at 2,500 miles for $12.50. Gift card redemptions start at 5,000 miles for $25. Merchandise redemption values vary based on what you are redeeming for. To view all of your reward options or to redeem, please visit the Manage your rewards page.
you can downgrade to the no annual fee version, and use the points at your leisure
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AOPA
Reimbursements

Tokyo NRT bus coded as BUS LINES, CHARTERS, TOUR,
was able to call and use miles.

Tokyo Disneyland tickets bought at Sheraton tokyo bay comes up as SHERATON PARK TICKET C, coded as THEATRICAL PRODUCER.- Called, ticket created they are researching it

JR east (airport express) coded as RAILROADS-FREIGHT - Called, ticket created they are researching it
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
you can downgrade to the no annual fee version, and use the points at your leisure
I don't like keeping cards open, I would grab the $75 cash before I did that.

That would also disqualify me for the NAF bonus at least for a while

Actually I just saw gift cards are redeemable at the same rate as cash so I may as well get a check instead
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
Originally Posted by flyer4512

Another option would be to redeem 8900 points to cover the annual fee, then just go on using the card and earning more points for another year. My annual fee's not due for some time, but I've read that you can do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.