Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Barclaycard Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% back)

It turns out that Italian Rail kiosks aren't eligible for travel credit either. They code as railroad-freight. Deutsche Bahn kiosks worked fine by contrast.

Frankly I'm almost going to start using my Capital One Venture exclusively at this point. Much more hassle free, even without the 10% redemption bonus.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by koctail
I have a hotel stay upcoming and I had to pay for one night in advance. If I use my Arrival miles to pay for the charge what happens if I end up cancelling this reservation and the $ is returned to the card. Do I get my arrival miles credited back to me?
No. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you use your card for other things, your bill will still be $XXX cheaper. However, if you want to keep your points and not sure that you will be using the booking, you have up to 90 days to redeem points even if you have paid the bill.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoneTree
It turns out that Italian Rail kiosks aren't eligible for travel credit either. They code as railroad-freight. Deutsche Bahn kiosks worked fine by contrast.

Frankly I'm almost going to start using my Capital One Venture exclusively at this point. Much more hassle free, even without the 10% redemption bonus.
Trenitalia codes online ticket purchase as railroad freight as well. I use CSP for that and each time I have to call to get the extra pt. So far CSP phone reps are 100% success upon calling versus SM reps are 100% failure upon SM request.

I agree with you the CapOne Venture is much easier to use the credit than the Arrival card even without the 10%. The CapOne reps are very empowered to give the credit. The Airfare transaction can be divided in many different ways to redeem. In the past you can redeem same expenses multiple times within the 90 days. I dont have Venture anymore so no idea if this is still the case. I found the QuickSilver is a good substitute even it is 0.5% less but it is on everything and anything.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: All of em...
So has anyone gotten a 2nd sign-up bonus yet? Either the no annual fee or annual fee version? Have seen a couple reports of fee waivers, but nothing about anyone applying again...
Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:18 pm

Wife was declined for Arrival card after waiting roughly 10 days from approval. Getting her to call recon is like pulling teeth. She wants free travel, but she doesn't want to lift a finger to get it...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
E-Z Pass?

Wondering if anyone has gotten auto-reloads for US East Coast E-Z Pass transponders to be considered eligible travel expenses. They are presently coded as "government." CSRs to date have not been helpful. Suggestions appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
So has anyone gotten a 2nd sign-up bonus yet? Either the no annual fee or annual fee version? Have seen a couple reports of fee waivers, but nothing about anyone applying again...
Friend just said she got her 2nd Arrival card while still holding her 1st.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Superorb
Wife was declined for Arrival card after waiting roughly 10 days from approval. Getting her to call recon is like pulling teeth. She wants free travel, but she doesn't want to lift a finger to get it...
I have some family members like that. When they need to go somewhere they call me and ask if they have miles, but when a special offer comes along they are like - is it really worth it, how many miles do I have, spend is too much, it's an Amex.

BTW my wife is also hesitant to call, but often she authorizes the agent to listen to me and then I do the talking. We have never tried this on recons - is it possible?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I have some family members like that. When they need to go somewhere they call me and ask if they have miles, but when a special offer comes along they are like - is it really worth it, how many miles do I have, spend is too much, it's an Amex.

BTW my wife is also hesitant to call, but often she authorizes the agent to listen to me and then I do the talking. We have never tried this on recons - is it possible?
I don't think it would work on recon.

Update: Wife actually called recon from work today! Still declined. They said it's due to 1) number of inquiries over the past 24 months, plus they want to see her spending money on her 2 existing US Air cards.

Both cards are up for anniversary bonus in August. Should I wait the 5 months and then close both cards after the anniversary bonus posts, or should I close at least 1 of them now?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:33 pm

Has anyone with an annual fee called in about retention bonuses?

Any luck?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by lyst
Friend just said she got her 2nd Arrival card while still holding her 1st.
Awesome! Great news! Hoping to try for another one in 3-6 months when my credit report calms down a little...

Originally Posted by mindbowels
Has anyone with an annual fee called in about retention bonuses?

Any luck?
I have seen 1 person for sure in this forum or the barclays retention thread say they got a full ann fee waiver for this card.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
yes. I have done that. She calls and after verifying all the info, she turns it over to me and I do the talking.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:24 pm

I'm baffled when I saw the wiki above saying can't redeem for Amtrak which is a top national train carrier but will accept a rail tix from a Japanese carrier??
Has anyone ever tried Amtrak for over $25 and redeem for miles?

Also just to clarify that I could do a partial redemption instead of using all the miles at once -
1)- meaning if I booked a flight for $400 and have enough miles in the acct but only wanted to redeem for $200 worth or 20000 miles. as long as the min amount was $25.

2)And assume its also possible to book an expensive air tix , like $1500 but don't have enough points (only 40000 sign up miles) so just redeem for whatever miles I actually have will be accepted by the Arrival card?

3)anyone have success using Hotwire our price line to redeem for hotel stays?

Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by tomcanada22
I'm baffled when I saw the wiki above saying can't redeem for Amtrak which is a top national train carrier but will accept a rail tix from a Japanese carrier??

Also just to clarify that I could do a partial redemption instead of using all the miles at once -
1)- meaning if I booked a flight for $400 and have enough miles in the acct but only wanted to redeem for $200 worth or 20000 miles. as long as the min amount was $25.

2)And assume its also possible to book an expensive air tix , like $1500 but don't have enough points (only 40000 sign up miles) so just redeem for whatever miles I actually have will be accepted by the Arrival card?

Thanks
I booked flights on GOL airline in Brazil for the world cup ... and it doesn't allow me to redeem towards it because of the booking...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tomcanada22

Thanks
1) Correct. Partial redemptions are allowed. But you will not be able to go back and redeem the remaining $200 at a later date. You can only redeem a travel purchase once.

2) Same as #1

3) I have been able to redeem for Priceline and Orbitz and another private hotel company. The system recognizes the travel agency. Never had a purchase from Hotwire but I imagine it's the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.