Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Today I did a pair of Barclays card applications in the following sequence:

1) US Airways' 30K first year fee waived. Instant approval.

20 min later,

2) Arrival card. Got a deferred message for decision in 10 days.
I did this also and got instant approval for the US card and the pending for Arrival. Tried calling and they used the US card as an excuse, said I couldn't get 2 cards on the same day. they also mentioned inquiries of wqhich I had only 2 in the past 6 months at the time. Applied for the Arrival only 6+ months later and got instant approval. It was the 1st card I did too.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:37 pm

I got two Barclaycard cards on the same day on January 17th. Applied for Arrival first, instant approval. Then US Airways (40k with fee offer) and got pending. Called the next day and was approved.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
I did this also and got instant approval for the US card and the pending for Arrival. Tried calling and they used the US card as an excuse, said I couldn't get 2 cards on the same day. they also mentioned inquiries of wqhich I had only 2 in the past 6 months at the time. Applied for the Arrival only 6+ months later and got instant approval. It was the 1st card I did too.
I would not be bothered to call. Read back a few pages on this thread - in a post dated near beginning of March, someone got the Arrival deferred screen, and a Barclays rep called him about 10 days later, after verified his occupation and income, offered to move CL from his TWO existing US Airways cards (one opened in 2012 and one in 2013), approved the Arrival in a few minutes.

See this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22451824-post912.html

No need to wait 6+ months me think. Probably 3 to 4 months are good enough if the previous card was an instant approval with 10K or above CL.

A friend got 2 cards on the same day by submitting the applications SIMULTANEOUSLY, using 2 browsers of course.

Originally Posted by aw82
I got two Barclaycard cards on the same day on January 17th. Applied for Arrival first, instant approval. Then US Airways (40k with fee offer) and got pending. Called the next day and was approved.
The existing US card from Nov 2013 still is open, therefore I dont want to call as it might give Barclays an excuse to close the newly approved US card. We are more interested in the US miles than the Arrival's $ bonus. The Arrival earnings seem to be harder to redeem versus CapOne's Venture card which we had some experiences from the $1100 bonus 3 years ago. CapOne's credit could be redeemed repeatedly against the same travel expense within the 90 days window, and you could slice and dice the Airline charges to suit your needs. I basically cleared out $800 credit using a single AA award tax payment that was below $50 in that 90 days window. Impossible to do with Arrival. CapOne redemption thru CSR could be very liberal. Back then people were able to redeem for iPad and Camera!

So all in all, would look at the Arrival later but not very keen on it. The reason I did the 2nd app was to take advantage of the hard pulls would be merged if done on same day, so why waste a hard pull?

Last edited by Happy; Mar 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by aw82
What number did you call?
Originally Posted by Happy
I would not be bothered to call. Read back a few pages on this thread - in a post dated near beginning of March, someone got the Arrival deferred screen, and a Barclays rep called him about 10 days later, after verified his occupation and income, offered to move CL from his TWO existing US Airways cards (one opened in 2012 and one in 2013), approved the Arrival in a few minutes.
I'm just getting a bit antsy with the wait. I hate waiting for a decision, it eats away at me lol.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:44 pm

Just signed up. Card is on its way. Just a question for people who had this card for awhile.

Does purchase at travel agent count as travel purchase? I got a great deal but it's through a booking agent. TIA
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by goblue77
Just signed up. Card is on its way. Just a question for people who had this card for awhile.

Does purchase at travel agent count as travel purchase? I got a great deal but it's through a booking agent. TIA
If the merchant category is travel agency then it will count. Beware of internet services as a category though. And you never know until after you try a merchant once.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by highops
If the merchant category is travel agency then it will count. Beware of internet services as a category though. And you never know until after you try a merchant once.
ah... i see. thank you. I'm booking through a b&m travel agency. Hope it posts as such.

Great card for travelers. Wish I signed up sooner.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:55 pm

I think I called 866-408-4064, which I found listed here:
http://travelsort.com/blog/credit-ca...-phone-numbers
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I'm just getting a bit antsy with the wait. I hate waiting for a decision, it eats away at me lol.
Try googling "Barclay reconsideration number". I found the answer in 2 seconds.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Try googling "Barclay reconsideration number". I found the answer in 2 seconds.
I think I tried calling a different number that was disconnected, I'll give this one a shot.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Japan

Originally Posted by kiyotaka
Originally Posted by nolimit186
Datapoint: Used my wife's card to purchase a JR Pass for rail travel in Japan. Showed up as tourist attraction charge so called in to Barclays and asked if they could do anything to make it show up as travel charge since it is really a travel expense associated to transportation. CSR said they'd put in a request and it'd take about 8 days to go through. Today I see that my 40k points were redeemed successfully towards that charge.
Great news. I'm buying JR pass for next month trip to Japan. Now I know which cc to use. Thanks for the datapoint.

Indeed., But I wonder if they will honor it again for other to request., I too will be using the card to charge for our JR pass Japan travel in July. *crossing finger*

I try to talk the hilton hotel to let us charge our Disney Sea tix thru the hotel, but tix are only for cash purchase ..
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:19 am

They gave me the 10 day run around. I called up and approved me for 12k!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I tried calling a different number that was disconnected, I'll give this one a shot.
Good luck and give us an update.

Husband's Arrival is denied. It was an accidental recon call that started from a Fraud call. We probably should just leave the Arrival app alone and let the app worked its course thru the system instead.

See the details of the call in my post on the US thread. That may help you as to what they are looking at.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22510444-post5108.html
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
I have a hotel stay upcoming and I had to pay for one night in advance. If I use my Arrival miles to pay for the charge what happens if I end up cancelling this reservation and the $ is returned to the card. Do I get my arrival miles credited back to me?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by koctail
I have a hotel stay upcoming and I had to pay for one night in advance. If I use my Arrival miles to pay for the charge what happens if I end up cancelling this reservation and the $ is returned to the card. Do I get my arrival miles credited back to me?
most likely not as some people 'cash out' their points by booking refundable hotels and/or airfare, applying the credit, then cancelling the booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.