Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by aw82

To the other poster regarding Citi cards...you CAN use Citi cards, but I've seen many reports that no matter what, they get coded as Cash Advances if used through Amazon Payments.
I've used Citi cards for Amazon Payments, and they have not been treated as cash advances. There must be some variables at play here, but I can't tell you what they might be.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by Happy
Incorrect. AP has nothing to do with VR, and it does take credit card except the limit is $1K a month.

You got it partly wrong also. Citicards can perfectly be used for AP. The only time it would be a No No is when you buy gift card DIRECTLY from a financial institution. i.e. AMEX GC from AMEX.

There is no driving around with AP. Without CVS in your area though, could make things harder (and cost more) to MS because GCs sold at grocery stores generally have higher fee, $5.95 versus $3.95 for VR

Now back to our normal programming.

My dilemma is whether to try the 4th set of US card or the Arrival card. US miles would give more fun than the cash from Arrival card. However the recent data points on the US card front aint too encouraging unless scoring another instant approval while the arrival card is almost a sure bet.
^ on our normal programming but I did want to thank you for providing your other responses.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:11 am

When people get this card with 0% APR for 12 month, do they run the balance up to a certain % of CL (just make minimum payments) and place money into an online savings account, like 0.9%. Is this even worth doing?

Is it worth doing up to something like 30% of CL on the 0% offer?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yukon50
When people get this card with 0% APR for 12 month, do they run the balance up to a certain % of CL (just make minimum payments) and place money into an online savings account, like 0.9%. Is this even worth doing?

Well this is mostly up to you. Remember that any balance you run up will show up on your credit report. Even if you lower it later, the max balance may still show up on the report (I'm not 100% sure of how Barclaycard reports it.). However, the most important thing to remember is if you plan to apply for any new credit cards before that year is up, that high balance will show up on your report and could negatively affect the decision and/or your credit limit.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Well this is mostly up to you. Remember that any balance you run up will show up on your credit report. Even if you lower it later, the max balance may still show up on the report (I'm not 100% sure of how Barclaycard reports it.). However, the most important thing to remember is if you plan to apply for any new credit cards before that year is up, that high balance will show up on your report and could negatively affect the decision and/or your credit limit.
Not to mention that 0.9% on $3000-5000 (30% of typical Barclaycard CLs) isn't going to do much for you in one year.

Not worth the hassle or potential credit impact, IMO.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Arrival has great potential, but a pain for now.

Incorrect. You apparently have not done any research. AP has nothing to do with VR, and it does take credit card except the limit is $1K a month.

If all your travels are domestic coach I can see that your $35K spend could suffice if you are just after the sign up bonuses.

You got it partly wrong also. Citicards can perfectly be used for AP. The only time it would be a No No is when you buy gift card DIRECTLY from a financial institution. i.e. AMEX GC from AMEX.

There is no driving around with AP. Without CVS in your area though, could make things harder (and cost more) to MS because GCs sold at grocery stores generally have higher fee, $5.95 versus $3.95 for VR.

6 domestic trips a year, no big deal to not pay airfare, especially flying coach. Can't imagine doing Int'l trips 6 times with one week at a time - just the time going and coming would take up 2 to 3 days... let alone going in coach... not the type of travel for most folks here.

Those of us who do multiple international trips all in J or F, (and going away in lengthy trips like 3 to 6 weeks at a time), do need to MS some. Sign up bonuses alone aint going to make it.

My dilemma is whether to try the 4th set of US card or the Arrival card. US miles would give more fun than the cash from Arrival card. However the recent data points on the US card front aint too encouraging unless scoring another instant approval while the arrival card is almost a sure bet.
Pros:
Combining Arrival Card with your other favorite point accumulating cards can hit the sweet spot for "almost" free travel.

Cons:
We have found ourselves with the inability to cash in on international travel as their coding does not accept international hotels. We went to Puerto Rico and stayed at the Melia Resort and Arrival would not code it as a hotel. So, we could not redeem points for this stay. We called and that's what we were told.

Their CSRs are also oblivious to what they can do. It's as if they do not know anything on how to resolve customers' issues. They just tell us that we should wait - and wait -and wait we have for over a month to no avail.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE
Pros:
Combining Arrival Card with your other favorite point accumulating cards can hit the sweet spot for "almost" free travel.

Cons:
We have found ourselves with the inability to cash in on international travel as their coding does not accept international hotels. We went to Puerto Rico and stayed at the Melia Resort and Arrival would not code it as a hotel. So, we could not redeem points for this stay. We called and that's what we were told.

Their CSRs are also oblivious to what they can do. It's as if they do not know anything on how to resolve customers' issues. They just tell us that we should wait - and wait -and wait we have for over a month to no avail.
Sounds like a good reason to purchase through travel websites for international travel. Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiousity, what does it show up as in your account?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE
Incorrect. You apparently have not done any research. AP has nothing to do with VR, and it does take credit card except the limit is $1K a month.

If all your travels are domestic coach I can see that your $35K spend could suffice if you are just after the sign up bonuses.

There is no driving around with AP. Without CVS in your area though, could make things harder (and cost more) to MS because GCs sold at grocery stores generally have higher fee, $5.95 versus $3.95 for VR.

6 domestic trips a year, no big deal to not pay airfare, especially flying coach. Can't imagine doing Int'l trips 6 times with one week at a time - just the time going and coming would take up 2 to 3 days... let alone going in coach... not the type of travel for most folks here.

Those of us who do multiple international trips all in J or F, (and going away in lengthy trips like 3 to 6 weeks at a time), do need to MS some. Sign up bonuses alone aint going to make it.

Pros:

Cons:

It sounds like an issue with that hotel. I've been traveling international for the past two months in *hostels* and it's coding correctly and letting me redeem. If hostels work internationally, hotels should.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jan_believes
^ on our normal programming but I did want to thank you for providing your other responses.
I am glad you found my posts useful.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yukon50

How much is the total NET extra cash you would get?

0.9% is PER YEAR, so a $10K balance (for easy calculation) would net you $90 BEFORE tax only if you carry that balance for a FULL 12 months. For the convenience sake, I even ignore the minimum payment you would need to pay each month that effectively reduces the "principal" of $10K that you can earn that big fat $90 pre-tax, so the $90 would become somewhat less.

Is this worth the trouble to do what you are thinking as an option?

Not to mention other nuisance factors that other posters have elaborated.

You would be much better off to just MS that $90 in just a few months, very conservatively, quick, easy and much simpler.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to put forward my vote for Barclays as being worst in customer service. I yearn for the days of putting all my charges on Chase cards - I'd even take Citibank over this.

These guys are incompetent. They don't even read the messages you send online - they just reply with some stock answer that may share some words with your question. Or, it can be so completely unrelated it's ludicrous.

Calling isn't much better. They assume they understand the situation before you finish, and they don't. Then, when they do understand it, they can't fix it.

I've been trying to pay for tickets on some European LCCs and I just can't. They deny every charge. Fortunately, these LCCs actually take Amex. But, now I can't redeem these points.

Call about the security issues? Good luck.

Redemption problems? They invent stupid reasons why I can't redeem. Two charges at one hotel in one day - same desk. I can redeem for one, but not the other. "It's because your balance is negative so we can't issue more credit." Sure. But other charges do work.

I'm really getting fed up with this card. The rewards are good, but their customer service is truly appalling.

Oh - and now Barclays is putting out the HA card with chip and PIN before getting that to this "travel" card? Because a lot of terminals in Hawaii are equipped with chip readers, I suppose.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I have to put forward my vote for Barclays as being worst in customer service. I yearn for the days of putting all my charges on Chase cards - I'd even take Citibank over this.

These guys are incompetent. They don't even read the messages you send online - they just reply with some stock answer that may share some words with your question. Or, it can be so completely unrelated it's ludicrous.

Calling isn't much better. They assume they understand the situation before you finish, and they don't. Then, when they do understand it, they can't fix it.

I've been trying to pay for tickets on some European LCCs and I just can't. They deny every charge. Fortunately, these LCCs actually take Amex. But, now I can't redeem these points.

Call about the security issues? Good luck.

Redemption problems? They invent stupid reasons why I can't redeem. Two charges at one hotel in one day - same desk. I can redeem for one, but not the other. "It's because your balance is negative so we can't issue more credit." Sure. But other charges do work.

I'm really getting fed up with this card. The rewards are good, but their customer service is truly appalling.

Oh - and now Barclays is putting out the HA card with chip and PIN before getting that to this "travel" card? Because a lot of terminals in Hawaii are equipped with chip readers, I suppose.

I've had a mixed experience when it comes to Barclays' customer service. I've had their Priceline signature card for a few years now. All merchant disputes have been handled extremely well with Priceline standing up for me in every case (crossing fingers they continue to do so).

However, international experience was terrible. After notifying them prior to an international trip, I experienced security freezes placed on my account anyways. I attempted to contact them to resolve the issue, but the particular department I needed to contact was not open 24/7!

When it comes to redemptions, things have been smooth so far.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Just to clarify, it's primarily a Chip & Sig card. EMV does not automatically equal Chip and PIN.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Just to clarify, it's primarily a Chip & Sig card. EMV does not automatically equal Chip and PIN.
Actually, it's really Chip and PIN.

I Tweeted, and their response was:

@josephstern60 It's Chip and PIN. To learn more, visit http://at.hwnair.com/tXBFK
Follow that and you get to:

Your card is a chip and signature card with PIN capability. In most cases when you travel abroad, you’ll be asked to sign for your transaction. But at some unattended terminals, such as train ticket kiosks, you may be asked to enter your PIN instead of signing. If you make a purchase in the U.S., you’ll continue to swipe your card the way you do today.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Actually, it's really Chip and PIN.

I Tweeted, and their response was:

@josephstern60 It's Chip and PIN. To learn more, visit http://at.hwnair.com/tXBFK
Follow that and you get to:

Your card is a chip and signature card with PIN capability. In most cases when you travel abroad, you’ll be asked to sign for your transaction. But at some unattended terminals, such as train ticket kiosks, you may be asked to enter your PIN instead of signing. If you make a purchase in the U.S., you’ll continue to swipe your card the way you do today.
Which is exactly what I said, it's primarily a Chip and a signature card.

A Chip and PIN card will ask for PIN by default.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.