Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:44 pm

Anyone happen to know whether sales (not rentals) through Avis, Hertz, Budget etc code as travel? I had been planning to subsidize a new-to-me car with a cashback card, but it occurs to me this could be slightly more lucrative.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Any idea why Barclay's isn't issuing to residents of Iowa? I want this card and can't get it...
Because Iowa has robust consumer credit protections and Barclay doesn't want to deal with it. Delinquent payment fees are capped at $15 for example and the Arrival is $35.

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Anyone happen to know whether sales (not rentals) through Avis, Hertz, Budget etc code as travel? I had been planning to subsidize a new-to-me car with a cashback card, but it occurs to me this could be slightly more lucrative.
Doesn't really matter if it codes as travel for this card as you're earnings rate will be the same regardless. It'll just give you a travel expense to redeem again.

Not sure if it does or doesn't count as travel, but I presume they use a different MCC for car sales. If it does code as travel, you're probably better off putting it on something like the CSP anyway.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
OK, so hypothetically, I stay in a Hilton. I use a points and pay rate.

Either I use my HH rewards card for the say, $40 bucks, and collect HH points (maybe?) or I use the Arrival card and file for a statement reimbursement credit? And, I would have to minimum spend enough to be rewarded enough bonus points for that reimbursement and others? Is that right?

Thanks for reply!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:05 am

Barclays Arrival travel redemption but then partial refund from hotel, miles refund?

hey all

I made a hotel purchase for $465 and then covered that charge with Barclays Arrival miles, but then the hotel refunded me $266 due to a screw up on their side leaving the total charge $199.

I therefore redeemed 46500 miles for that original charge, should I expect to receive 26501 miles back? I see they took back the 10% points bonus, and I expected that, but I don't see any miles refund yet and I am not sure if I need to call/am eligible?

anyone have experience with this?
thanks a lot in advance
rymetymeuk

Last edited by rymetymeuk; Apr 1, 2014 at 10:06 am Reason: corrected my bad math.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:11 am

Did barclay's take away part of the statement credit? Unless they do that, I dont see why they would credit your miles back.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:04 am

I'm a little confused. I paid $465 using points for that $465 charge, and then got a refund for $266, so total cost to me is $199 or 19999 points. but I'm out $465 worth of points, so how is that fair?
If I had initially paid the correct charge of $199, i'd only be out 19999 points, not 46500 points.

Am I missing something here?
thanks for the reply
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:27 am

The hotel refunded you right? Not Barclay's. When you used the $465 in points, they apply a $465 statement credit. Did they modify this credit? If the did not, then you are not out any money. You got a $465 statement credit, PLUS you got the $266 refund from the Hotel. So you got your point value.

Now if they did modify the Statement Credit down to $199, then you have something to argue about.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:35 am

sorry, thanks for clarifying.

Yes the hotel refunded me the $266, I see where you're coming from. Many thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:50 am

This is actually a good thing, in my view. If you wanted to just cash in your points, you'd only get 50c/100 points. You were able to cash in at full value. Some people abuse this of course.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:51 pm

Barclaycard Earning Question

Asking on behalf of my parents who are deciding between fee and no-fee version. Does anyone know if MTA commuter rail expenses (Long Island Railroad, in this case) count as travel for earning purposes? Those make up a big chunk of their annual expenses and if they could earn 2X on all those purchases, they might be inclined toward the no-fee (baby steps with them). I appreciate the help.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:55 pm

FYI, vrbo/home away doesn't count as travel purchase with barclay card arrival
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by wroxpopuli
Asking on behalf of my parents who are deciding between fee and no-fee version. Does anyone know if MTA commuter rail expenses (Long Island Railroad, in this case) count as travel for earning purposes? Those make up a big chunk of their annual expenses and if they could earn 2X on all those purchases, they might be inclined toward the no-fee (baby steps with them). I appreciate the help.
You EARN 2x on all purchases. It's just that you can only redeem at 1 mile = 1 cent on travel purchases. There are reports of MTA commuter rail counting as travel so they should be able to redeem against it as well.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:17 pm

Can someone try to explain to me how this card can possibly be better than CSP? I've read a bunch of blogs comparing the two and stating how this card would come out on top. I'm thinking about dumping my CSP when the annual fee hits in a few months but I don't really think this card is comparable to replace it. I currently use CSP for dining and travel and when I'm not trying to meet a spend bonus.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
You EARN 2x on all purchases. It's just that you can only redeem at 1 mile = 1 cent on travel purchases. There are reports of MTA commuter rail counting as travel so they should be able to redeem against it as well.
This is not correct. The poster wanted to know about relative merits of fee and no fee version. The no fee one only gives 2x points for travel and dining. It is the fee version that gives 2x for all purchases.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Drummer
This is not correct. The poster wanted to know about relative merits of fee and no fee version. The no fee one only gives 2x points for travel and dining. It is the fee version that gives 2x for all purchases.
Yeah, I missed that bit. Here's what he should do:
  • Get the annual fee version
  • See how the transaction codes
  • Before the second year fee hits, try to downgrade to the no annual fee version, if not possible just apply for it

Also the no annual fee version has just added some additional benefits:
  • Intro APR period of 12 months
  • Free TripIt pro subscription
  • Free FICO score

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.