Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry - I didn't really understand the distinction. And I guess I still don't.

If a card can have a PIN enabled, why would it ever make sense to prefer a signature?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by josephstern
Sorry - I didn't really understand the distinction. And I guess I still don't.

If a card can have a PIN enabled, why would it ever make sense to prefer a signature?
That's how the Hawaiian card is set up, it will always ask for a signature unless the terminal doesn't support it.

As for why, the banks in the US seem to think we can't handle PINs on a credit card.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it sounds like a step in the right direction. Or maybe a half-step. I still don't see why it makes sense on that card and not this one.

Anyway, sorry for the thread diversion.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, it sounds like a step in the right direction. Or maybe a half-step. I still don't see why it makes sense on that card and not this one.

Anyway, sorry for the thread diversion.
True, better than nothing.

The Arrival EMV card is in testing right now. Planned to be open to all in the second half of the year. Presumably they want to test on a smaller number of customers before they start on their flagship card.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
True, better than nothing.

The Arrival EMV card is in testing right now. Planned to be open to all in the second half of the year. Presumably they want to test on a smaller number of customers before they start on their flagship card.
I did read someone claiming to have an Arrival EMV card, so I guess only select accounts do?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aw82
Not to mention that 0.9% on $3000-5000 (30% of typical Barclaycard CLs) isn't going to do much for you in one year.

Not worth the hassle or potential credit impact, IMO.

So it sounds like most people aren't taking advantage of the 0%? Yes, 0.9% on 5k would be about $45 and then there's tax.

So I guess the preferred way is to pay off the entire balance a few days before statement hits, so that 0% utilization shows up on credit report?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by yukon50
So it sounds like most people aren't taking advantage of the 0%? Yes, 0.9% on 5k would be about $45 and then there's tax.

So I guess the preferred way is to pay off the entire balance a few days before statement hits, so that 0% utilization shows up on credit report?
That's what I do on all but one card so that I show about 2% utilization.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just an FYI for anyone about to apply: I read on another forum that people have been able to call in and get the old signup requirements (i.e. $1000 instead of $3000).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:21 pm

Which is exactly what I said, it's primarily a Chip and a signature card.

A Chip and PIN card will ask for PIN by default.
How do you initially set up the PIN on the card?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Which is exactly what I said, it's primarily a Chip and a signature card.

A Chip and PIN card will ask for PIN by default.
How do you initially set up the PIN on the card?
The same as your cards currently, they mail it to you. But I believe Barclays lets you change the PIN online.

It's too bad you can't change the defaults online so it prefers Chip and PIN instead of Signature.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
I bought 10000 IHG points with the points and cash trick, then canceled. Hopefully that codes as travel, then I can essentially convert my arrival points to IHG. Ill let you know if it works.
I'm not sure about your experience, but I used this card to book on IHG.com with points + cash. Booked two nights at a hotel with 45K points + $40/night. I have two charges on my Barclay account for $40 coded as "IHG PTS AND CASH REWARD" & under the merchant category "BUYING/SHOPPING SERVICES, CLUBS." The two $40 charges are not available for travel reward redemption.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:33 am

approved for the card on February 18th, last Tuesday and anxiously waiting for the card......how many days should it be?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by metoo
approved for the card on February 18th, last Tuesday and anxiously waiting for the card......how many days should it be?
It was nearly 2 weeks for me.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by metoo
Yeah, long wait for this one for me ... took all of 2 weeks for mine to arrive.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:00 pm

Sorry if this has been answered but I can't find it. Am I eligible to get the signup bonus again if I apply a second time without closing my first arrival card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.