Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
With 4X Barclay Boost on Amex gift cards, that's not that hard to do.

If you use TripIt Pro, don't forget the free subscription there. It costs $49 although there are some coupons that bring it down to $29 or $39 at some points of the year. I love TripIt Pro and would totally pay for it, so I considering the Arrival a $50/year card (take average price of TripIt off).
But Amex GCs are a royal pain to liquidate compared to Visa/MC GCs. If there was an easy way to liquidate I'd be buying tons of them.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
You don't have cards #1-#4 open still do you?
On the US cards

Applied Card 2 when Card 1 still open. Card 1 closed after anniversary bonus posted.
Applied Card 3 when Card 2 still open. Card 2 closed after anniversary bonus posted.
Applied Card 4 when Card 3 still open. Card 3 anniversary is in Nov. Card 4 30K posted this week.
May cancel Card 4 and let Card 3 ride. Then attempt for Card 5.
4 months lapse between cards seem to suffice for us to get instant approvals which as you are well aware, is the key to get the US card now.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 11, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amolkold
With 4X Barclay Boost on Amex gift cards, that's not that hard to do.
But Amex GCs are a royal pain to liquidate compared to Visa/MC GCs. If there was an easy way to liquidate I'd be buying tons of them.
Exactly. The AMEX GC is PITA to even use for regular big travel expenditure. 2 years ago I got AMEX refunded me all the AMEX GCs bought directly from AMEX (no fee no shipping, earned SPG pts) when the AMEX GC could not be used to pay for a cruise - it is actually in the AMEX GC fine print but one would not see it before purchase the card - it is in the pamphlet that comes with the GC. Cruise Line's payment processing system literally rejected it after only accepting the first one.

I steer away from the AMEX GC since then. Way too much work to liquidate even thru actual spend.

Those who dont mind the hard work could go for the Boost Mall route and rack up their high %. In my book, a few extra K's cash is no comparison to 120K+ US miles which requires zero work. Since it seems Barclays only let me have one way, I go the easy way.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Question about switching CLs w/Arrival and US MC

I hope I didn't overlook a post discussing this.

Does anyone know if Barclays will agree to pull credit from one CL to another like Chase does?

I sure would love to do more with my Arrival than with the US MC.

TIA ~
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Yes, they are a pain, but I have a way that works for me and still earns a profit, so I'm glad they're a pain for everyone else so that the CB rate stays high .
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
On the US cards

Applied Card 2 when Card 1 still open. Card 1 closed after anniversary bonus posted.
Applied Card 3 when Card 2 still open. Card 2 closed after anniversary bonus posted.
Applied Card 4 when Card 3 still open. Card 3 anniversary is in Nov. Card 4 30K posted this week.
May cancel Card 4 and let Card 3 ride. Then attempt for Card 5.
4 months lapse between cards seem to suffice for us to get instant approvals which as you are well aware, is the key to get the US card now.
Lucky you! It took me a while to get the Arrival card, and I only had 2 US cards previously. While my wife has 2 US cards open they would not approve an Arrival card for her. I think I should have had her close card #1 when she got the anniversary bonus. She didn't want to so it stayed open.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Amex GCs

For those that are buying Amex GCs through the Arrival Rewards Boost portal... I notice it pulls up $500 max GC options when I click through from Barclay. Of course, I can then navigate to other options up to $3000. Can anyone confirm that purchasing a single $3000 Amex GC has earned them the bonus points? Or must I purchase multiple $500 GCs?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
For those that are buying Amex GCs through the Arrival Rewards Boost portal... I notice it pulls up $500 max GC options when I click through from Barclay. Of course, I can then navigate to other options up to $3000. Can anyone confirm that purchasing a single $3000 Amex GC has earned them the bonus points? Or must I purchase multiple $500 GCs?
I've had success ordering $3k and $2k cards.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Originally Posted by LoneTree
How are you guys liquidating the Amex GCs?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:53 pm

How are you guys liquidating the Amex GCs?
AmEx GC --> VGC --> MO/BP/BB

Originally Posted by LoneTree
+1
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ashap

+1
Visa Gift Card then convert to a money order? Confused
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
Why not just buy the vGC with the Arrival card and skip a few steps? Unless you're somehow making money on the Amex cards to eliminate the vGC load fees.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Why not just buy the vGC with the Arrival card and skip a few steps? Unless you're somehow making money on the Amex cards to eliminate the vGC load fees.
Guess someone hasn't discovered the AMEX GC thread...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:07 pm

Barclay portal is giving 4x on Amex GC
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Guess someone hasn't discovered the AMEX GC thread...
I sure haven't but will go look now, thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.