Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:27 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by rev
I can't say as long as I've been following this thread I've heard of an automated letter claiming you won't be awarded additional miles from the Sig version after a rep changed the credit line.

My only worry is how easy it sounded to get a <$5k limit overturned to a Sig by a rep and be told you'll get your 25k points just like that. Historically that method has been a big hassle for FTers, as opposed to the alternate two-app method RobertHanson explained in an earlier post. Check out this and this post by Brugge. Sound like your scenario? Then you may have a chance.

Unfortunately many posters have asked this question but very few come back with data points of the results. My guess is they gave up on the process or couldn't get a rep to overturn it before even attempting one HUCA. Some have posted success, but without a 1-2 months wait, more contact with BofA, and/or another HP.

Thanks for your reply!

I also thought the same about how difficult it can be to get a decision overturned but I didn't have an issue (at least I thought so). My rep said that it was going to take her some time to over turn it so I should hang up and check the next day. Sure enough, it was over turned when I called the next day and asked a different rep about it.

I will call about the points/letter today and post results, in case it helps anyone in the future.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by htang333
Thanks for your reply!

I also thought the same about how difficult it can be to get a decision overturned but I didn't have an issue (at least I thought so). My rep said that it was going to take her some time to over turn it so I should hang up and check the next day. Sure enough, it was over turned when I called the next day and asked a different rep about it.

I will call about the points/letter today and post results, in case it helps anyone in the future.

Thanks!
Please do follow up with this. It didn't used to be this easy. For me in the past, the CSR had to do a special request, which took a day to complete. But then that request had to be submitted to the Customer Service Department, and their approval was not automatic. The 2 times I did this, I was contacted by the CSD several days later to confirm their approval. It then took over 2 months to get the Sig card. Maybe they have streamlined the process? I hope they have, so let us know what ultimately happens.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Please do follow up with this. It didn't used to be this easy. For me in the past, the CSR had to do a special request, which took a day to complete. But then that request had to be submitted to the Customer Service Department, and their approval was not automatic. The 2 times I did this, I was contacted by the CSD several days later to confirm their approval. It then took over 2 months to get the Sig card. Maybe they have streamlined the process? I hope they have, so let us know what ultimately happens.
Did you get the additional bonus miles for getting the Sig card?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Did you get the additional bonus miles for getting the Sig card?
I got the 25K miles and the $100 statement credit both times. But I had to wait 2 months after the initial app to get each card. Waiting 2 months to get a card is very frustrating when you otherwise would have reapplied every 3 months.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the 25K miles and the $100 statement credit both times. But I had to wait 2 months after the initial app to get each card. Waiting 2 months to get a card is very frustrating when you otherwise would have reapplied every 3 months.
You sound like Brugge's alter ego in many aspects. Brugge suffered this then gave the community an excellent guide on what to do. He suddenly vanished from FT since last Sept.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:27 am
jk2

Applied last week for Alaska and Travel Rewards Visa cards. Both apps went pending, and next day I checked a status - 'denied" for both. Called first for Alaska, rep checked app, was concerned about number of inquires, etc. But I mentioned a good relationship with BofA (I'm a Merril Lynch client) and she sent my app for further reviewing. Next called for Travel Rewards Visa, the same story, but agent told me (after questions) that he would approve app for $5K CL. I asked to move part of CL from my other card, he said OK. Now, week later - both app have 'pending' status, nothing changed. Is it a bad sign? I don't really want to call them if not needed.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:35 pm
rev

Originally Posted by jk2
Applied last week for Alaska and Travel Rewards Visa cards. Both apps went pending, and next day I checked a status - 'denied" for both. Called first for Alaska, rep checked app, was concerned about number of inquires, etc. But I mentioned a good relationship with BofA (I'm a Merril Lynch client) and she sent my app for further reviewing. Next called for Travel Rewards Visa, the same story, but agent told me (after questions) that he would approve app for $5K CL. I asked to move part of CL from my other card, he said OK. Now, week later - both app have 'pending' status, nothing changed. Is it a bad sign? I don't really want to call them if not needed.
Wait a little longer. When it's about 3 weeks since the app date, I'd start getting ready to call. I've had reps send it for 'further' review after a denial as well, with good results, but a decent wait.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
For starters, we need to know whether you have any other credit cards with BofA, and if so what the credit limits on those are.

As to the procedure: You might try searching this thread for the word "platinum". This has been discussed many times before. As I recall, it's not simple and takes a while.
Sdsearch: on another thread you mentioned that you were able to get a new Alaska card with the 25,000 every three months for 12 a year.
Do you have open Alaska cards when you apply or do you close your existing cards before applying? If you have open cards, how many?
Thank you
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by felicity5
Sdsearch: on another thread you mentioned that you were able to get a new Alaska card with the 25,000 every three months for 12 a year.
Do you have open Alaska cards when you apply or do you close your existing cards before applying? If you have open cards, how many?
Thank you
I"m not sure what you meant by "for 12 a year", since one every three months is 4 cards a a year or 100k a year.

In any case, while you can do that, I haven't quite kept that up, I've rolling-averaged 3 AS cards a year so far.

I've kept two AS cards open while getting a third AS card. (Plus one non-AS no-AF BofA card stays open "permanently".) At the rate I've gone so far, the third-oldest AS card comes up for 2nd annual fee before I get around to applying for a 4th AS card, so I've just called to cancel that oldest AS card due to not wanting to pay the annual fee, and thus I've never had more than 3 AS cards open at a time.

I do, however, reduce the CL on each AS card (to $2k to $3k) as soon as I've finished my $1000 spend (for the $100 statement credit).

Some other people apply for 2 AS cards (one personal, one business) every 3 months or so, but I haven't tried that myself, nor am I sure how many cards they keep open at a time.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I"m not sure what you meant by "for 12 a year", since one every three months is 4 cards a a year or 100k a year.

In any case, while you can do that, I haven't quite kept that up, I've rolling-averaged 3 AS cards a year so far.

I've kept two AS cards open while getting a third AS card. (Plus one non-AS no-AF BofA card stays open "permanently".) At the rate I've gone so far, the third-oldest AS card comes up for 2nd annual fee before I get around to applying for a 4th AS card, so I've just called to cancel that oldest AS card due to not wanting to pay the annual fee, and thus I've never had more than 3 AS cards open at a time.

I do, however, reduce the CL on each AS card (to $2k to $3k) as soon as I've finished my $1000 spend (for the $100 statement credit).
Some other people apply for 2 AS cards (one personal, one business) every 3 months or so, but I haven't tried that myself, nor am I sure how many cards they keep open at a time.
Sorry about the 12 per year..not sure why I came up with that amount.
Thank you for your answer to my questions.

Last edited by felicity5; Feb 20, 2016 at 1:08 pm Reason: Didn't mean to send without reply
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, United
Freezing Ex?

I'm looking for any recent data points for success with getting B of A to pull another CR when Ex is frozen? I am hoping to get a third personal card soon and most of my inquiries are on Ex, so would prefer them to pull TU or EQ.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:36 pm

Getting my 3rd AS card and wondering what would be best: to close two previous one and keep the newer one until the next churning? to keep all 3 until the next AF? to close the latest one once the miles and statement credit post?
I really have no need for 3 to clutter my wallet; besides, I wonder if number of existing AS cards could jeopardize my chances for the new ones (even though I decrease CL on them)?
What are the pros and cons of keeping all or closing some?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You sound like Brugge's alter ego in many aspects. Brugge suffered this then gave the community an excellent guide on what to do. He suddenly vanished from FT since last Sept.
Brugge was the Master of explaining at least 2 things. One was managing CLs. The other was dealing with AS apps, especially when approved for a mere Plat. 95% of what I know about those topics I learned from his posts. I even stole the term "eleventy-seven" from him.

If he was still posting, I wouldn't need to bother. But apparently John Galt paid him a visit, and he dropped out of the game. Probably going to happen to me soon as well. The relentless undoing of my churning and MS opportunities, in order:

American Express personal cards once per lifetime rule
Chase one bonus every 24 months rule
Citibank one bonus every 18 month rule
Death of Redbird
Death of WMBP at all of my local stores
Cancelation of my Bluebird account
Loss of last store for T-M RLs
Removal of all variable GCs from Safeway, Vons, Alberstsons
upcoming Chase co-brand 5/24 rule

has me pretty much sitting on my hands. Things are so limited right now, I'm actually contemplating applying for a Wyndham card.

I can't apply for anything more lucrative than that, or perhaps a Citi Gold AA/TYP card, for the next 6 months. Considering I used to get 22+ ccs a year, and used to do $25K a month of totally free MS between Redbird and T-M, I'm going thru cold turkey withdrawal.

Reduced to calling in daily to check the auto line for DW's Ink app. Once that's resolved, one way or another, I'll have her apply for her first Surpass card. The 80K+ points from that should finish covering all our stays for our Euro trip this Summer.

With no free MS anymore, I'm having to do the calculations on what is cost effective MS, to at least top off accounts that are near award levels. And searching around for super low points stays. Did you know there are fairly well reviewed Hiltons in Poland, like the Garden Inn in Krakow, for a mere 5K points per night? 4K with the 5th night free. But do I really want to spend 5 days in Krakow?

I wish I had the level of natural spend that Happy has, but I don't. Sigh...

But enough about me; what do you think about me?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by htang333
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks!
Which number did you had to call? I was approved by the rep over the phone for $5k CL, but when I checked after 4 days my online account showed CL of $3k. Need to follow up..
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:33 am
jk2

Brugge was the Master of explaining at least 2 things. One was managing CLs. The other was dealing with AS apps, especially when approved for a mere Plat. 95% of what I know about those topics I learned from his posts. I even stole the term "eleventy-seven" from him.

If he was still posting, I wouldn't need to bother. But apparently John Galt paid him a visit, and he dropped out of the game. Probably going to happen to me soon as well.
What happened to Brugge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.