Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by rev
If we could go off topic for just one post, do you mind naming the several banks you know do this? I've only run into one bank that's mentioned my previous calls to me.
^ I'd like to know this too.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Citi...SHHHH
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Flygirl98
Data point for anyone who might be interested. Just applied for my third card using wiki link and was approved. All three signature, all three approved without calling in -- #1 in June, #2 in Sept -- #1 and #2 are still open. Used cards for $1,000 spend and a few times after. Reduced the credit lines on both cards before I applied for next one (Thanks to the "Brugge/Hanson" method) -- Robert when are you going to start a blog? Seattle/Cali here we come!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:35 am

How long did you wait after reducing limit? And how much you reduced to?

I have 3 cards open from 2015 and planning to open another one and already requested to reduce limit to 2K. Would this go without cancelling old ones?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rev
If we could go off topic or just one post, do you mind naming the several banks you know do this? I've only run into one bank that's mentioned my previous calls to me.
So why didn't you name that bank???

Originally Posted by macrophage
Citi...SHHHH
Yes, Citi would be one, but you can avoid much of that by SMing instead of calling (if you think that calling could work against you), including to cancel churned cards, decrease credit limits, and the like. SMing is not particularly interactive, so they tend to ask a lot fewer questions than someone on a voice call would.

I seem to recall Barclay also doing in certain situations.

And in the Chase post-May2015 thread, I seem to recall posts which implied Chase was bringing up previous calls in a subsequent call.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 21, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mak101
How long did you wait after reducing limit? And how much you reduced to?

I have 3 cards open from 2015 and planning to open another one and already requested to reduce limit to 2K. Would this go without cancelling old ones?
For future reference, it's better to reduce the limit as soon as you can, rather than wait until you're ready to apply for a new card and only do it then and then wonder how long it takes.

I don't think we have a perfect sense of exactly how long it takes. It might not even be a fixed amount of time, but could be done on a regular schedule of some sort (like a particular day or the week or a particular day of the month).

But since the recommendation is to wait at least 3 months before you apply again, and most people can do the $1k spend (or at least most of it) in much less time, you could presumably reduce it to $3k or $4k soon after you get it (while still keeping your card utilization below 30%). Reducing it to $3k or $4k months earlier is better than reducing it to $2k but only at the last minute, if you started out with $15k or $20k or something like that.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
For future reference, it's better to reduce the limit as soon as you can, rather than wait until you're ready to apply for a new card and only do it then and then wonder how long it takes.

I don't think we have a perfect sense of exactly how long it takes. It might not even be a fixed amount of time, but could be done on a regular schedule of some sort (like a particular day or the week or a particular day of the month).

But since the recommendation is to wait at least 3 months before you apply again, and most people can do the $1k spend (or at least most of it) in much less time, you could presumably reduce it to $3k or $4k soon after you get it (while still keeping your card utilization below 30%). Reducing it to $3k or $4k months earlier is better than reducing it to $2k but only at the last minute, if you started out with $15k or $20k or something like that.
Good strategy! I will keep this in mind for next round.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I was surprised by the responses to this question...

Originally Posted by macrophage
Is it safe to apply with 3 open personal Alaska cards? Or should I close them? They've been open for: 1 year, 6 months and 8 months.
First this (my bolding):

Originally Posted by Willbur
These days it seems that this is VERY likely to result in a decline. I'd recommending closing some if not all.
If true, perhaps this is a change - I haven't been paying much attention since around May 2015 when the great bow-tie destroyed the ease and frequency of getting these (I haven't applied for any since then). Prior to the events of last May, it always seemed that they never cared at all if you had zero open cards or a dozen.

After they turned harsh in May, my understanding was that they looked hard at how many pulls you had - above a certain number (which varied based on other factors), they either approved you or gave you a smackdown (sometimes a decidedly impolite one). I believe that practice is still in force. But disqualifying someone because they already have 3 AS cards open? This is the first I've heard of that.

Then the advise above was reiterated here (my bolding):

Originally Posted by rev
You'll want to close the one that's about to post the annual fee for obvious reasons, and at least one more. If you keep one, leave a low limit. Give everything a couple weeks to completely close-out/update in their system to be safe.
Is this really the current consensus - that having a few existing cards open is a factor held against you? If so I need to dump a couple...I'm planning to re-start on AS cards in another month or two.

FWIW I use all of my (currently 4) AS cards on a regular basis, including for some large purchases. I also fly on AS frequently (averaged more than one trip a month for the past year), am basic MVP. Good solid credit profile, etc. About 7 apps in the past 12 months (two of those were AS cards back in May), 4 apps in the past 6 months (none of those were AS/BofA apps).

I'm feeling pretty confident about doing 1 personal AS + 1 business AS in another month or two - but I was not planning to dump a couple of my 4 AS cards before applying. Is there any real data supporting the notion that having a few open AS cards is a liability for approval?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:53 am
rev

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Is this really the current consensus - that having a few existing cards open is a factor held against you? If so I need to dump a couple...I'm planning to re-start on AS cards in another month or two.
Not the amount of cards, but the amount of credit. Closed cards means less credit extended, opening the door wider for a $5k+ approval. Remember the goal here is auto-approval since it's been noted reps are hesitant to give somebody who has a history of opening multiple cards another one. There's nothing wrong - as far as I understand - with having more than one, or even a few with low limits, but the lower you can make the amount of credit available on your profile, the better chances of an auto approved Visa Sig.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by rev
Not the amount of cards, but the amount of credit. Closed cards means less credit extended, opening the door wider for a $5k+ approval. Remember the goal here is auto-approval since it's been noted reps are hesitant to give somebody who has a history of opening multiple cards another one. There's nothing wrong - as far as I understand - with having more than one, or even a few with low limits, but the lower you can make the amount of credit available on your profile, the better chances of an auto approved Visa Sig.
Right. I got that. All my cards get their CL lowered soon after opening. Mine are all currently in the $4K-$6K range (I do use them, regularly). When approved, my CLs are always in the neighborhood of $20K-$25K.

The posts I referenced strongly suggested that having multiple cards open was a potential negative factor (for further approval, specifically for auto-approval, which of course is always the goal).

That (having multiple cards was seen as a liability) was quite different from what I had always thought and experienced. IME and AFAIK, they do not care at all if you have zero, one, three or seven open cards. CL and number of HPs does count, but not how many cards you already have.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:01 pm

We are flying to Hawaii this year, so I applied for a card for myself and my husband (with his blessings) so we could use 2 of the companion fare tickets.

Anyway, mine was approved immediately, but with his application (which I did 2 days later if that matters), I got the Your application is under review message.

Is that something that we should call the reconsideration line about or just wait it out.

I think the issue was it asked us a bunch of multiple choice questions. The last one was if any of these license plates belonged to cars registered in our household. I don't know my daughters' plates, so I answered without being 100% sure (I know, bad idea).

Anyway, I'm guessing that's what the holdup is, but I don't know whether to wait it out or call. I'd really like to get the approval, so I can get going on booking our tickets.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:00 am
rev

Right. I got that. All my cards get their CL lowered soon after opening. Mine are all currently in the $4K-$6K range (I do use them, regularly). When approved, my CLs are always in the neighborhood of $20K-$25K.
I get what you mean. In the future I'll be more clear I don't really mean the number of cards, but that's just implying that the more cards you have open you naturally have more credit from BofA, and therefore are probably decreasing your odds of auto approval on the latter. Some of us, including myself, generally get approved for much lower limits, so even having 3 cards with $2k limits would worry me enough that I'd definitely close at least one before my next app because I run a much higher risk of not getting that $5k minimum for the Sig. I forget sometimes that some people get these limits per card I couldn't fathom getting for my whole total credit line with a bank I think we're on the same page though.

skimom - You could call as long as you don't think an analyst would look at his credit report and find something definitely denial worthy. It's really up to him and you, but it seems many FTers choose to wait since their may be a chance the app would come through without a rep putting their eyes on a questionable report, that will even more likely result in denial. If you have the patience, I personally would hold out and check their app status page periodically, then call if it goes to denied. If you really think it's just because of the plates and nothing else credit related, and are feeling a bit impatient (we all do sometimes), then I don't see much harm in calling early. Good luck!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW I use all of my (currently 4) AS cards on a regular basis, including for some large purchases.
I'm just curious, are you doing that because you think it makes BofA "like you" more, or do you have another reason for "spreading around" the purchases between 4 identical cards?

I would think most of us just use the last one (or perhaps two if really trying to keep apart personal vs business spending) cards we have at most, rather than spreading it around between all the cards we have.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm just curious, are you doing that because you think it makes BofA "like you" more, or do you have another reason for "spreading around" the purchases between 4 identical cards?
I use my AS cards for all kinds of things. If I wasn't using these, I'd be using something else, and I think AS miles have good value compared to many other cards.

Yes, I assume that they (BofA/AS) probably appreciate the fact that the cards are getting regular use. They're getting swipes every month, there's a modest amount of money moving through each account most months.

I figure that using the cards regularly, putting a moderate amount of spending on them, and flying their airline keeps them somewhat happy (or at least it can't hurt).
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use my AS cards for all kinds of things. If I wasn't using these, I'd be using something else, and I think AS miles have good value compared to many other cards.
Huh? If you only had 1 AS card you'd be doing something different?

I was simply asking why you spread it out among 4 cards instead of concentrating on the latest card (and cancelling older ones)? Would you really use "something else" if you only had 1 or 2 AS cards instead of 4?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.