Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson

has me pretty much sitting on my hands. Things are so limited right now, I'm actually contemplating applying for a Wyndham card.
You can still do MOs, No??

That's pretty awesome about the Krakow Hilton's that you mentioned too. You should go. Beautiful city and go tour the WW2 camp out there for a reality sized dose of history.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm actually contemplating applying for a Wyndham card.
Not to get too off topic, but that card is a gem if you make high value redemptions (which isn't too hard). I'd take its sign up bonus over Arrival+ (or any card by that bank) on most days, even with the AF.

Did you know there are fairly well reviewed Hiltons in Poland, like the Garden Inn in Krakow, for a mere 5K points per night? 4K with the 5th night free.
It's the Hampton Inn that is cat1. Great value. There's also a 15k Holiday Inn in the center of town.

But do I really want to spend 5 days in Krakow?
I wouldn't stay longer just to get a "better" value, unless you have unlimited time. (and remember 5 nights still costs more than 2/3 nights, even though you save a little per day, but overall you are paying more). On the other hand, I've heard great things about Krakow. I'm sure you will make the right choice for your situation.

---------------------
OK, that was off topic, though in fairness I'm replying to the person who started it I do have one on-topic question. I looked at the most recent 40 posts and didn't see it addressed. Is it still possible to get 2 personal AS cards approved on the same day? I heard somewhere that it's dead, but it seems possible per the suggestion to apply again if you receive the Plat version.

BTW, my approach to the please-don't-give-me-a-Plat dread, which I once told Brugge, is to wait a few days after a big AOR. That way all the HPs will have hit the CB, and decreases your chance of instant approval with BOA (which is the goal). Then proceed to the part where you call recon and tell them you want Sig.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Also, this might be old news for some, but it seems BOA has disabled SM for CC-related questions. Is that right?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:57 pm
rev

Originally Posted by italdesign
I looked at the most recent 40 posts and didn't see it addressed. Is it still possible to get 2 personal AS cards approved on the same day? I heard somewhere that it's dead, but it seems possible per the suggestion to apply again if you receive the Plat version.
I believe you're reading the method to get a Plat overturned to a Sig to get the 25k bonus, which doesn't result in getting two cards. It's just a much simpler way to get the Sig version without the hassle of having the approved Plat overturned, which can be a long frustrating process. During this process, the Plat approval is cancelled, and the 'duplicate' app is approved to a Sig

However, as far as I've seen it was never deemed impossible to get two Sigs at the same time though, but I haven't seen a data point in a while vouching success since most people go for at least 3 months per app now.

Originally Posted by italdesign
Also, this might be old news for some, but it seems BOA has disabled SM for CC-related questions. Is that right?
I never even remember seeing an SM option. I used to use their live chat, and now I loathe it. I remember I would have to switch the 'reason' for chatting constantly until it said it was finally available, and though the reps seemed fine with helping at first, they'd just tell me to call 100% of the time. Useless.

If I ever have a problem with my card, I'll just apply for a new one
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brugge was the Master of explaining at least 2 things. One was managing CLs. The other was dealing with AS apps, especially when approved for a mere Plat. 95% of what I know about those topics I learned from his posts. I even stole the term "eleventy-seven" from him.

If he was still posting, I wouldn't need to bother. But apparently John Galt paid him a visit, and he dropped out of the game. Probably going to happen to me soon as well. The relentless undoing of my churning and MS opportunities, in order:

American Express personal cards once per lifetime rule
Chase one bonus every 24 months rule
Citibank one bonus every 18 month rule
Death of Redbird
Death of WMBP at all of my local stores
Cancelation of my Bluebird account
Loss of last store for T-M RLs
Removal of all variable GCs from Safeway, Vons, Alberstsons
upcoming Chase co-brand 5/24 rule

has me pretty much sitting on my hands. Things are so limited right now, I'm actually contemplating applying for a Wyndham card.

I can't apply for anything more lucrative than that, or perhaps a Citi Gold AA/TYP card, for the next 6 months. Considering I used to get 22+ ccs a year, and used to do $25K a month of totally free MS between Redbird and T-M, I'm going thru cold turkey withdrawal.

Reduced to calling in daily to check the auto line for DW's Ink app. Once that's resolved, one way or another, I'll have her apply for her first Surpass card. The 80K+ points from that should finish covering all our stays for our Euro trip this Summer.

With no free MS anymore, I'm having to do the calculations on what is cost effective MS, to at least top off accounts that are near award levels. And searching around for super low points stays. Did you know there are fairly well reviewed Hiltons in Poland, like the Garden Inn in Krakow, for a mere 5K points per night? 4K with the 5th night free. But do I really want to spend 5 days in Krakow?

I wish I had the level of natural spend that Happy has, but I don't. Sigh...

But enough about me; what do you think about me?
Brugge is very articulate on the instructions about how to overturn Plat. xxxxx
As for the miles and point game, we are all in the same boat.

I dont even ever own T-M as RL is cash only here. The only grocery store chain here that carries cash equivalent has stopped taking CC since 18 months ago. All OfficeMax have packed up because Office Depot HQ is here. Every single 7-11 here is cash only for well over 2 years now. I can go on and on.

The difference is, we never expect travel is free. It is always travel at a discount, now the discount is no longer outsize but a much smaller one. Life goes on.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 23, 2016 at 10:37 pm Reason: removed personal attack
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont even ever own T-M as RL is cash only here. The only grocery store chain here that carries cash equivalent has stopped taking CC since 18 months ago.
I was very lucky, as I had a local Vons where the cashiers hadn't bothered to look at the front of the RL cards in forever. I'd been buying the old cards there forever, the cashiers recognized me, and would say on their own "$495 like usual?".

So when they got the new cards in, that said "cash only", no one noticed. I'd been buying $10K a month there of "cash only" RLs for the last year. Then around a month ago, whether it was hard coded, or just a glitch, the register charged my card, but the RL was NOT activated. The cashier noticed that, and called over a manager, who while in the process of trying to find out why it didn't activate, saw the "cash only" on the card, and said "so my cashiers have been selling you a cash only card with a cc?".

And one of the nearby cashiers said, "yes, he always buys them for $495". Cover totally blown.

Although they always say that the cards cannot be refunded, it turns out it isn't true. They reversed the charge to my card, and graciously tried to run the sale thru again with a different RL, but again it charged my cc card, but didn't activate the RL. So they refunded that charge too, and talked about how that was going to give their accountant fits.

There went my $10k a month of totally free MS.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Feb 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:19 pm

new informationIn the recon for personal cards in the wiki both 888 numbers are non working numbers.
The 866 hours are till 7 pm EST not 9 pm.

Data point: I called today on the 866 phone number and they said my app was declined due to already having a credit card of the same type.
I have three open Alaska cards with $3000, $3,000 and $2,000 credit limit opened 4/14,5/14,and 4/12 .
The only other reason I can think of besides what they stated is that I only reduced the credit limit a week ago and it wasn't enough time to cycle back.
However she said nothing about having too much credit.
Maybe they are getting stricter about getting cards while you still have some open.

Last edited by felicity5; Feb 25, 2016 at 4:30 pm Reason: new information
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:37 am

Looks like the Alaska Visa bonus will go to 30,000 miles in May

http://milecards.com/1588426670/the-...you-do-better/
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:51 am
rev

Originally Posted by nycplat
Looks like the Alaska Visa bonus will go to 30,000 miles in May

http://milecards.com/1588426670/the-...you-do-better/
Just saw that on DOC this morning. At face value it's good news, but I'm still waiting to see if they remove the $100 credit once 30k comes around, since they're claiming 30k will still require the same $1k spend. I'd rather get paid $25 for 25k than pay $75 for 30k.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Perhaps a helpful data point: I met $1k min. spend on 2/15 and received $100 statement credit on 2/25.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rev
Just saw that on DOC this morning. At face value it's good news, but I'm still waiting to see if they remove the $100 credit once 30k comes around, since they're claiming 30k will still require the same $1k spend. I'd rather get paid $25 for 25k than pay $75 for 30k.
Furthermore, there's always the danger that a revamped offer will have more restrictive churning language. (If they're copying one thing from Citi, could they copy another?) I am thus inclined to get another 25k app in before then rather than wait to get 30k instead.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:46 am

Post 3127 "Data point: I called today on the 866 phone number and they said my app was declined due to already having a credit card of the same type."

Is this new? or S.O.P.?

If need to cancel old Alaska cards --how long need to wait to get new cards?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by SPLP007
Post 3127 "Data point: I called today on the 866 phone number and they said my app was declined due to already having a credit card of the same type."

Is this new? or S.O.P.?

They told me that way back in November, so I've been gradually canceling cards since then. Haven't applied for a new one yet. I was thinking that keeping just one open would be OK, but not sure now. OTOH, I've only read of 2 other folks getting rejected for that reason, so it doesn't seem to be a consistent policy.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
They told me that way back in November, so I've been gradually canceling cards since then. Haven't applied for a new one yet. I was thinking that keeping just one open would be OK, but not sure now. OTOH, I've only read of 2 other folks getting rejected for that reason, so it doesn't seem to be a consistent policy.
REF-- "They told me that way back in November" Are you saying that Bank America rejected you because of open cards back in NOV.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007

Is this new? or S.O.P.?

I've had a number of these cards over the past few years. Got another one 6 months ago with no open cards when I applied. Applied for a second card @2 weeks ago, with the previous card still open. Instantly approved, with a $17K CL, which is the most B/A has even given me. I should add that I had been putting some very regular spend, $500 to $1K monthly, on the first card each of those 6 months. Whether that had anything to do with it I have no idea.

I think it's fairly common for banks to have various "rules", like already having the same card open, to use as an excuse when they don't want to approve your app. But that they ignore when they do want to approve you. Easier to just say that, then to go into: your FICO is too low, or you have too much CL for your income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.