Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Most people seem to think it's better to keep it at 3 personal max. (I have no idea how business cards affect this, since I had no applied for those with BofA.)
Is that 3 AS cards max, or 3 BofA cards max.?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Is that 3 AS cards max, or 3 BofA cards max.?
3 AS (at least personal) cards max.

I have been approved for a third AS card several times while already having 2 AS cards plus one non-AS BofA card.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation "random" low credit limit on approval (resulting in Platinum Plus) explained by BofA

I don't understand what happened. I went from getting 1 AS card every 3-4 months with over 15k CL issued each time, time after time, when suddenly Thursday (just over 3 months from last approval) midday I applied and then Thursday evening the application status site said I was approved and then Friday (today) morning I log into my BofA site and see I've got Platinum Plus card (instead of Signature) with only 1.5k CL!

I had reduced CL from 15+k to 3.5k or less on my two remaining AS cards (as well as a BofA non-AS card I have), plus on the AS card I cancelled a few ago (upon 1-year anniversary). The last CL reduction was well over a month ago!

And to top it off, btw, my FICO score as shown at the BofA site went up to the highest its ever been yet, no longer claiming "too many recent accounts" as a factor.

So I don't know what's going on . Did the CL reduction not take effect even after 1 or 2 months??? Or did they re-evaluate me for some reason? (They wouldn't/couldn't explain on the reconsider iine. They offered to move CL from my other cards, so I "consolidated" my other AS cards into this one and close the other AS cards, since they had no CL left. They said I would be upgraded to Signature in 6-8 weeks if I didn't decline after getting my notice that my annual fee will increase from $50 to $75 in the upgrade.)

After such an experience upthread, someone else suggested always applying over the phone, but I don't know of any way to apply over the phone and get the $100 statement credit for $1000 spend. (Though it's possible that may be an issue of only for another month or two, since in May BofA is expected to debut minimum spend requirements for getting the singup bonus, and it's unclear if the $100 credit will survive that change.)
Well, this morning I got a call from BofA, about this issue, and they explained that it was a "system error" that caused me to get that lower credit limit (and thus a Platinum Plus card). This person says I should have been approved for the Signature (with a higher credit limit) from the start, but due to federal law, they have to follow a timetable to correct it now.

This reminds me of occasional system errors at some other banks (such as Citi) which lead you to be denied (for now apparent reason) and then approved. But federal law does not prohibit a bank from reserving a denial instantly, but it does require a process for upgrading you (even if for a correction to a mishandled approval) to a higher annual fee to take a slower process (mailing you a notice that your annual fee will increase and then giving you time to decline the upgrade because of that).

So because (a) BofA doesn't waive the annual fee the first year, and (b) because BofA doesn't decline you, just gives you a lower version of the card, that's why the effect of such "system errors" at BofA is more complex (than with other mileage cards from other banks).

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 4, 2016 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:20 pm

I have an Alaska business ($9k limit) and Alaska personal ($21k limit). Wanted to get a second personal card. Lowered the credit limit from $21k to $9k. Applied the next day after the new limit showed update on my account and was approved for a Platinum ($3k limit). They also lowered my existing personal card to $6k limit. Called recon line and they said they could only move an additional $1k from the old to the new card; I had to leave at least $5k on the existing card since it was a signature.

It seems as though I might have been OK leaving the credit limit at $21k or even lowering it no more than $10k so that they could just move $5k in credit over to the new card and approve for Signature. Should I increase my existing credit limit and apply again? I canceled the Platinum card while on the phone with the recon line.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:31 pm
Suspended

You all may want to start getting Virgin America cards as well. Top card offers 15k which will probably convert to 30k once it's integrated in the Mileage Plan program.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:12 am

Well, this morning I got a call from BofA, about this issue, and they explained that it was a "system error" that caused me to get that lower credit limit (and thus a Platinum Plus card). This person says I should have been approved for the Signature (with a higher credit limit) from the start, but due to federal law, they have to follow a timetable to correct it now.

This reminds me of occasional system errors at some other banks (such as Citi) which lead you to be denied (for now apparent reason) and then approved. But federal law does not prohibit a bank from reserving a denial instantly, but it does require a process for upgrading you (even if for a correction to a mishandled approval) to a higher annual fee to take a slower process (mailing you a notice that your annual fee will increase and then giving you time to decline the upgrade because of that).

So because (a) BofA doesn't waive the annual fee the first year, and (b) because BofA doesn't decline you, just gives you a lower version of the card, that's why the effect of such "system errors" at BofA is more complex (than with other mileage cards from other banks).
Had you called Recon about this, or did they just call you on their own when they discovered their mistake?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by TMM1982
You all may want to start getting Virgin America cards as well. Top card offers 15k which will probably convert to 30k once it's integrated in the Mileage Plan program.
It might be best to wait and see if Comenity will get desperate and offer higher bonuses and spend bonuses. If the 2:1 merging of miles is confirmed, I'll get it for sure for some last minute MS at 2x.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
It might be best to wait and see if Comenity will get desperate and offer higher bonuses and spend bonuses.
Yes not a bad idea.

If the 2:1 merging of miles is confirmed, I'll get it for sure for some last minute MS at 2x.
That would be some serious arbitrage and I doubt they will allow people to do it once it's confirmed. There would be a flood of transfers into Alaska. Citi and AMEX both allow transfers to Virgin at a rate of 2:1. And then if people can convert 1:2 into Alaska, it's like getting 1:1. People will flood AS.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:50 pm

Yes not a bad idea.

That would be some serious arbitrage and I doubt they will allow people to do it once it's confirmed. There would be a flood of transfers into Alaska. Citi and AMEX both allow transfers to Virgin at a rate of 2:1. And then if people can convert 1:2 into Alaska, it's like getting 1:1. People will flood AS.

The way it's looking is, people more or less agree that 1:2 would be a fair ratio for merging, otherwise AS would piss off a lot of VX flyers.

I'm sure there will be a flood once such a ratio is announced, just like everyone scrambled for USAir CC signups before merger with AA. I'm curious how the VX CC bank will react to MS. I won't even care at that point if the bonus goes up
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:57 pm
Suspended

The way it's looking is, people more or less agree that 1:2 would be a fair ratio for merging, otherwise AS would piss off a lot of VX flyers.

I'm sure there will be a flood once such a ratio is announced, just like everyone scrambled for USAir CC signups before merger with AA. I'm curious how the VX CC bank will react to MS. I won't even care at that point if the bonus goes up
But that's kind of why I think they won't announce the 1:2 until after the Virgin CC is discontinued, and Virgin is removed as a transfer partner from AMEX and Citi. Well if they were smart that's what they would do. That remains to be seen.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:41 pm

But that's kind of why I think they won't announce the 1:2 until after the Virgin CC is discontinued, and Virgin is removed as a transfer partner from AMEX and Citi. Well if they were smart that's what they would do. That remains to be seen.
Perhaps this will happen, but I doubt it'll happen overnight. I don't remember now how it was handled by Amex when Continental and United were merging, followed by Chase becoming their CC partner. If the VX credit card shows signs of discontinuing signups, I'll get the $49 version just in case even before merger ratio announcement.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm not an expert on this, but AFAIK HPs are only combined when they appear to the CB to be duplicates of a single app for a specific type of card. Bus and Personal cards will appear to be different cards, and will most likely not be combined. Hopefully someone who has successfully done this will chime in and prove me wrong.
I am getting ready to apply for both business and personal.

Can somebody provide some feedback on this (single or double pull) and on the post that indicated that people that had gotten both on same day had been getting shut down?

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Had you called Recon about this, or did they just call you on their own when they discovered their mistake?
I made my Recon call Friday of last week, during which the agent I spoke to (the one who answered the phone) no explanation of why I had only been approved for $1.5k. (And I didn't try to "elevate" it myself on that call.) Then they just called me on their own Monday of this week to explain their mistake.

Whether they discovered this independently of my call to recon on Friday, or if my call to recon on Friday was reported "upstairs" right after I hung up and someone "upstairs" researched it, I dunno. All I know is that on the call I made to recon on Friday they gave only an "ordinary" list of possible reasons why I might nave gotten such a low CL, while on their call to me on Monday (from someone whose "level" up at BofA I don't know) they specially said it was a "system error".

The one upside of this whole experience: Since I didn't know what was going on (during the call to recon on Friday), when they gave me the option of "trying for" higher CL, or consolidating CL from other cards, I opted to consolidate all the CL from my other two AS cards, closing them in the process. (I had already reduced the CL on those cards, so there wasn't that much to consolidate, but it added up to enough.) And so now that's two older AS cards I don't have to worry about separately closing or when to close them or what reason for closing to make up when I close them.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
AS miles are valued approximately 1.5-1.8c ..Virgin points have fixed 2.2c redemption value. what makes everyone think that transfer ration will be 1:2. that looks highly unlikely.

1:1.5 looks to be fair assuming AS does not devalue their miles way more by then.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:03 pm

Just checked the business version application for the Alaska card. It states: "Bonus Miles are a one-time offer valid only on new accounts."

Is this wording new?
It seems to indicate that if you have had this card before then you will be ineligible to get the bonus miles again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.