Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by aza72
It's a pain but you can get the increased sign up benefits. Go back and reread posts from earlier this year in this thread. Especially those by Brugge.
Thanks for the tip. I think I got it worked out. However, does anyone know if they do an additional hard pull that will show up on your credit report when you request the bump up to 5k or more to get the signature card after initially being instantly approved for a lower limit card? Or if if that credit pull the agent refers happens within 24 hours of when you first applied (and was approved for the lower limit card) that this pull doesn't show up at all, being combined with the pull earlier in the day?

Also, for ones who have received the regular card and the signature card later, did you find that you could complete the $1k spend for the $100 statement credit with the regular card you initially receive or did you have to wait until you received the Signature card and complete the spend with that card to qualify for the credit?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by e36bmw4dr
I used the two browser trick to apply for 2 personal cards. Initially they both went to review. One was approved a few days later and the other a few days after that. The miles have posted for the first card, but not the 2nd. After receiving the 2nd card I noticed it has my first name on it twice, i.e. Bob Bob Smith and doesn't list my Mileage Plan number. Must have fat fingered the application.
What's the safest way to get the miles applied to the correct Mileage Plan? Call Alaska to see if a new one was generated or call BoA?
Honestly, based on my past experience, when I left out my number, it didn't seem to really matter. All my miles seemed to end up in my one account. I never had to call or combine accounts with Alaska Airlines. It seemed to happen automatically behind the scenes. However, YMMV. That has been my experience though. In the past, I believed for a couple reasons there might be an advantage to have them setup a new account for me each time. However, that never seemed to happen. As for the double name, I don't know how they will handle that. However, I think I'd wait a month or two and see if it works itself out to save yourself the hassle of making any additional phone calls that may not be necessary.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by airride
am little late to provide my datapoint , but here it is
: applied on 6/2 for 3 cards, 1 approved instantly and 2 later by calling by calling number in wiki ( 2 card came in a week and 1 card came just abt 4 days back)
miles posted already; only 1 credit pull in exp
Congrats- it seems some think only 2 cards can be approved in one application period now... But maybe you applied prior to the new informal rule supposedly limiting it to two cards per application cycle.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Called the number on wiki at 4pm EST

1-888-503-6092 (8am-9pm ET, Mon-Fri, Direct #...no transfer to an agent)
Was told the office is closed.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Would someone be so kind as to give me a quick rundown of bank of America policies etc (more emphasis on churning potential and app rules) bank of America is the only major Bank left with whom I don't have a relationship yet... Now that even citi has started seriously enforcing 18month rule on AA cards I'm looking for other options.... And yes, I did read the wiki but y'alls wiki isn't very detailed
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
Datapoint: Tried the 4BM. One card instantly approved for $20k limit. Called in to reopen the duplicate apps and shift credit around, but couldn't approve any more. This is my second AS card. Truly YMMV.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by kpowed
Datapoint: Tried the 4BM. One card instantly approved for $20k limit. Called in to reopen the duplicate apps and shift credit around, but couldn't approve any more. This is my second AS card. Truly YMMV.
You're kidding right?

After pages of reported shutdowns you go and try a 4BM?!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by macrophage
You're kidding right?

After pages of reported shutdowns you go and try a 4BM?!
Well, I felt that the additional apps wouldn't be harmful. The worst case would they dup them.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by kpowed
Well, I felt that the additional apps wouldn't be harmful. The worst case would they dup them.
Worst case is that you end up with 4 AS cards and NO points because Alaska will cancel your MileagePlan account.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:04 pm

One card currently open, two new cards approved

I currently have an open (personal) card & applied for two personal cards a few days ago. Received instant approval for the first app, the second was pending. Called in, but was told initially that I had to wait for a written answer. Two days later, a supervisor called me, asked a couple questions and approved the card.

I have three open cards now & will be closing one. Thought I'd share. Thanks, FT!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Congrats- it seems some think only 2 cards can be approved in one application period now... But maybe you applied prior to the new informal rule supposedly limiting it to two cards per application cycle.
lucky for me, I didn't 4BM, as there are now many reports of people whose accounts were closed by Alaska where bonuses posted 4 times, another reason was 3 apps are combined in 1 pull.....will try for 2 more cards after abt 4-5 months when things cool down a bit with bofa...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by airride
lucky for me, I didn't 4BM, as there are now many reports of people whose accounts were closed by Alaska where bonuses posted 4 times, another reason was 3 apps are combined in 1 pull.....will try for 2 more cards after abt 4-5 months when things cool down a bit with bofa...
So the prevailing crowd wisdom at this point is 2 is currently still safe without Alaska closing accounts or BofA blocking further duplicate applications? Even two cards wouldn't be worth it if Alaska actually closes your entire account. That is much worse than BofA denying you completely in one application cycle. Going for 3 or 4 back-to-back is currently the trigger for the adverse actions by AS itself (when it sees 3 or 4 bonuses post in rapid succession)? My experience is two personal is still fine, although some mention 1 biz and 1 personal, but I don't really know if that is necessary. Of course, there could be other advantages to choosing the biz card to keep it off your personal credit report, although you then have to pay an annual fee that isn't negated by the $100 credit only offered on the personal card. I guess this all depends on your overall game plan and tolerance for opening more personal accounts that reflect on your credit report. Has anyone that has had their AS account closed been able to have it reinstated after calling/writing them? I'd be curious to know their official stated reason for closing the accounts. I'm surprised AS is interested in closing accounts since BofA seems to be so liberal with their approval policies. I don't know why AS is penalizing people for something their partner bank is clearly allowing. I can easily understand BofA changing policy and closing all of your credit accounts (AS and other cards from them) if they feel this harms their business interests. However, this doesn't seem like it should apply to AS though since they aren't the ones likely bankrolling the bonus points BofA has likely purchased from them outright already.

Don't get me wrong---I don't feel pushing the limits like some have done is wise (with 4-5+ cards at same time). I am just curious why AS would be involved in closing accounts. Maybe they are doing it at the direction of BofA asking them to do so as their partner. Perhaps this is BofA's way of penalizing their customers gaming their system instead of handling it directly on their own.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Don't get me wrong---I don't feel pushing the limits like some have done is wise (with 4-5+ cards at same time). I am just curious why AS would be involved in closing accounts. Maybe they are doing it at the direction of BofA asking them to do so as their partner. Perhaps this is BofA's way of penalizing their customers gaming their system instead of handling it directly on their own.
It sounds like there has been some red flags with mileage plan accounts lately, so the fraud department is stepping up their game. Not all of the account closures relate to the B of A credit card.

Still, B of A and Alaska seems to be operating at a disconnect. Hopefully a little more time and data will help make their policies more clear. In the meantime, I'd be more conservative with applications.... by B of A standards of course.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Bretmd
It sounds like there has been some red flags with mileage plan accounts lately, so the fraud department is stepping up their game. Not all of the account closures relate to the B of A credit card.

Still, B of A and Alaska seems to be operating at a disconnect. Hopefully a little more time and data will help make their policies more clear. In the meantime, I'd be more conservative with applications.... by B of A standards of course.
The people that had their accounts closed ... If you had already booked an award were those safe
If you booked award with a partner ... Ie AA, were those safe?

In May, before this got out of hand, I got 4 and my wife got 3

We drained mine in booking aa awards for 2016 but she is still sitting on the 75k from her 3 cards.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
The people that had their accounts closed ... If you had already booked an award were those safe
If you booked award with a partner ... Ie AA, were those safe?

In May, before this got out of hand, I got 4 and my wife got 3

We drained mine in booking aa awards for 2016 but she is still sitting on the 75k from her 3 cards.
Doctor of Credit just posted about the shutdowns with useful information:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/alaska-airlines-shutdowns-transfers-no-af-multiple-applications-what-you-need-to-know/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.