Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
Any reason people are doing only 2BM instead of 3BM or 4BM with the earlier reports of success?
I know I don't have a good enough relationship with BoA to get approved for a 3rd one. That would mean extending me at least $15k of credit at once.

I got auto approved for 12k on my first app and called in to split the limits between the first and second.

I'll close 2 cards in a few months and stick with 2BM until my relationship with BoA improves gradually.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
Yes met spending the same day on both cards.
One more proof everything related to this card is total random.

You met spend on the same day on both cards, yet the credits came 12 days apart. One would think even not came on the same day, would be closer than 12 days gap.

May be BofA only processes the statement credit bi-weekly.

Going back to last cycle, husband's card 1 met spend on 11/26 Wed, credit posted on 12/08 Mon 2 weeks later. Card 2 met spend on 12/04 Thur, credit posted on 12/12 Fri 1 week later. My guess is the Thanksgiving holidays interfered the credit posting timing on card 1, as if the spend was met the week after Thanksgiving versus in reality it was before holidays.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 10, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrdk
Any reason people are doing only 2BM instead of 3BM or 4BM with the earlier reports of success?
It truly depends on your relationship with BofA, whether you also have other BofA cards such as the beloved FIA.

You need 5K minimum credit line to qualify for Visa Signature. If you are confident that you would at least get 15K CL from BofA then yes, 3bm is better. 4bm of course requires 20K CL to split.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
It truly depends on your relationship with BofA, whether you also have other BofA cards such as the beloved FIA.

You need 5K minimum credit line to qualify for Visa Signature. If you are confident that you would at least get 15K CL from BofA then yes, 3bm is better. 4bm of course requires 20K CL to split.
I wonder if the best strategy is to just always go for a high number of cards every app cycle. If all same day pulls get merged into one, why not apply for 4, then if they only approve for 2 then so be it. Or are people afraid of angering the recon rep into denying them altogether?

I've only had two recon calls with BoA over the last few years, but my impression both times was that they want to approve me if they can.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AwardBee
I wonder if the best strategy is to just always go for a high number of cards every app cycle. If all same day pulls get merged into one, why not apply for 4, then if they only approve for 2 then so be it. Or are people afraid of angering the recon rep into denying them altogether?

I've only had two recon calls with BoA over the last few years, but my impression both times was that they want to approve me if they can.
Sure. but within reason, I may say... Getting 4 of the same card on one go does not seem to fall into that category.

Depends on the reps - some reps are more easy going than the others naturally. What if you get a picky rep? then you wound up getting only one when s/he said if you wanted to split exp, then get a biz card instead?

It is not just the merger of HPs to be considered. There are multiple angles of the possible outcomes. Some want a sure bet, some prefer to push the envelope. Choose whatever strategy that suits you the most.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:54 pm

then you wound up getting only one when s/he said if you wanted to split exp, then get a biz card instead?
I don't follow?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't follow?
1) Unless you are very lucky to get instant approval on each and every app you submit, chances are you would need to call recon to get approvals on the multiple apps.

2) While not every rep would ask why you apply 2 cards or 3 cards or 4 cards, a majority of reps tend to ask if you really want 2 cards, albeit most do so casually. I suspect most reps would also be a bit startled when looking at 3 or 4 pending applications.

People generally use the excuse of having the need to separate the expenses for easier accounting / record keeping that is why they want 2 or even 3 cards.

3) Most reps would probably just go with that explanation. A picky rep may say, since you want 3 or 4 cards to keep track of your various spending, you should just get business cards for each business instead. Re-apply the business cards now you already have a personal card. What are you going to talk yourself out of this situation?

4) If you pay closer attention in reading about folks who got 3 cards, they have instant approvals on 2 cards and only recon one card. I dont remember reading any post about getting 3 pendings and then recon approved 3, or even one approval two pendings and recon approved the remaining 2 pendings.

Again, there are many possible outcomes on multiple apps. Do whatever you feel best for yourself. Just remember the goal is to make approvals as easy as possible.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:01 pm

4) If ... I dont remember reading any post about getting 3 pendings and then recon approved 3, or even one approval two pendings and recon approved the remaining 2 pendings.
I see your point, but one poster on 4/6 had 3 pending and called in to get all 3 approved. He was successful.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:37 am

4) If you pay closer attention in reading about folks who got 3 cards, they have instant approvals on 2 cards and only recon one card. I dont remember reading any post about getting 3 pendings and then recon approved 3, or even one approval two pendings and recon approved the remaining 2 pendings.
I just got 3 cards after 3 pendings this week myself (posted about it too!)

Recon rep didn't care why I wanted 3. It would have been awkward if he had asked because I wouldn't have had a good answer, and separating expenses wouldn't have been one of them.

I suppose what you're saying is, if you apply for too many and they all go to pending, and you get a recon rep who's suspicious, they may approve just 1, whereas if you only apply for 2 it's a little easier to work with. I don't know. It actually seems that it's almost better to go to pending, that way you can ensure that you only get the Sig card, and get the minimum 5K limit on each.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:03 am

I never applied for this card before, so sorry if this has been asked before; i sent two applications from 2 different computers at the same time for my wife and they both got approved with the same credit limit instantly, is this normal? i thought one would be approved and the second would go to pending.

Edit: I checked the online application status and it shows that both applications got approved. Thank you for all the input.

Last edited by ninim2200; Apr 11, 2015 at 4:15 am Reason: found answer to my question
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Business card seems a bit slow to deposit the points in my account. Checked my statement that closed on 4/6 showing 25k + a few miles for the 25k after first spend bonus. Still haven't seen any update to my AS account. Does it normally take this long?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got 3 cards after 3 pendings this week myself (posted about it too!)

Recon rep didn't care why I wanted 3. It would have been awkward if he had asked because I wouldn't have had a good answer, and separating expenses wouldn't have been one of them.

I suppose what you're saying is, if you apply for too many and they all go to pending, and you get a recon rep who's suspicious, they may approve just 1, whereas if you only apply for 2 it's a little easier to work with. I don't know. It actually seems that it's almost better to go to pending, that way you can ensure that you only get the Sig card, and get the minimum 5K limit on each.
Sorry about missing your post on successful recon on 3 apps.

Correct. It is a bit of playing roulette on more than 2 apps. 15K total CL needed, and an accommodating rep or a rep who couldn't care less. 2 factors must be in place for getting 3 cards on one go. We will see more data points if more folks try 3 or more apps at the same time.

Read Post 1565, that is when you get an unfriendly rep. HUCA got the guy his 2nd card but would be a tough act for 3 apps.

The Call versus Wait has been discussed doz of times and the consensus is, ALWAYS CALL no matter what, to ensure you are getting Signature.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 12, 2015 at 11:37 am
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I never applied for this card before, so sorry if this has been asked before; i sent two applications from 2 different computers at the same time for my wife and they both got approved with the same credit limit instantly, is this normal? i thought one would be approved and the second would go to pending.

Edit: I checked the online application status and it shows that both applications got approved. Thank you for all the input.
Not always. There is no telling what the outcome might be. The key is your instant approvals are for Signature cards. As you should be aware that BofA can instant approve a Plat card, for no good reason, and then you only get 5K bonus instead of 25K.

Call to make sure those are Signature cards as there have been instances that even over 5K CL were still given a Plat card. Again no explanation on such happening, just the weirdo of BofA system.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 11, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:30 pm

Not always. There is no telling what the outcome might be. The key is your instant approvals are for Signature cards. As you should be aware that BofA can instant approve a Plat card, for no good reason, and then you only get 5K bonus instead of 25K.

Call to make sure those are Signature cards as there have been instants that even over 5K CL were still given a Plat card. Again no explanation on such happening, just the weirdo of BofA system.
Don't they tell you right away which card you were approved for online?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Until recently, using them to book First class flights on Emirates. But...it looks like now those redemptions aren't available, so...

Next best thing: Use them for for First on Cathay Pacific. You can still get to South Africa via Hong Kong on Cathay for 70K AS miles, I believe, one way in F to HKG, then Biz to Jo-Burg. Sound like fun?

Or you could use them for the same, regular domestic redemptions, just like your other NA airline miles. But Emirates and Cathay are the best premium uses for them.
Wait ... you can't book First class on Emirates with these miles anymore?! That's the main reason I was trying to earn these

Edit: Nvm, found out that it came back.

Last edited by aceofcards; Apr 11, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.