Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo
Normally, miles DO land in the Alaska Frequent flyer acct BEFORE B of A credit card received. The app states "25K miles upon account approval".

I have seen the miles hit the account anywhere from 2 - 5 business days after a CC app submitted with instant online approval. Occasionally pts posting lags for more than a week. Recon calls will take longer, of course.
Geez, apparently I don't even read the wiki or application page when I apply for cards anymore. I had it solidly ingrained in my head that the $1K spend was for the $100 credit AND the 25K miles. Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Call right this minute. Insist that the CSR approve you for a Sig card. If you wait, they may approve you for only a Plat card, with a measly 5K mile bonus. That takes 2 months and endless phone calls to replace with a Sig card. Believe me, you don't want to go thru that. And it's not a matter or credit history, etc. I was instantly approved for a Plat, and my other app of a 2BM app went pending. Recon had no problem approving me for a Sig, despite the already approved Plat. Call !
I applied for the signature but received the platinum plus. I called them to raise my CL to 5K for the Signature and they went ahead and did that. Do they need to manually apply the extra miles to my account or would it be done automatically? Also would I still receive the $100 credit after 1K spend? He didn't really know if I would get the miles or not ...

Last edited by aceofcards; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aceofcards
I applied for the signature but received the platinum plus. I called them to raise my CL to 5K for the Signature and they went ahead and did that. Do they need to manually apply the extra miles to my account or would it be done automatically? Also would I still receive the $100 credit after 1K spend? He didn't really know if I would get the miles or not ...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just raising your cl to $5 will not get you the Sig sign up bonus. You have to call Recon, have them fill out a form that petitions Customer Relations to cancel the Plat from their end, and issue a new Sig card. They will send you a letter advising you that your AF is going to increase, and will wait 6 weeks or more after that to send you a Sig card.

Only one way out of this. If you applied today, you can put in another app for the same card. You will only get one hard pull no matter how many apps you do the same day. Most likely the new app will go to pending, as they will think it's an accidental duplicate. Then call Recon and hopefully get them to approve you for a Sig card, and cancel the Plat, since you probably don't want to pay $50 AF for a mere 5K miles.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:34 pm

I think he was talking about the biz version. Is there a Visa Signature version for biz cards? I can only see Visa version on the application webpage and the CSR told me there is no visa signature for that card.

Call right this minute. Insist that the CSR approve you for a Sig card. If you wait, they may approve you for only a Plat card, with a measly 5K mile bonus. That takes 2 months and endless phone calls to replace with a Sig card. Believe me, you don't want to go thru that. And it's not a matter or credit history, etc. I was instantly approved for a Plat, and my other app of a 2BM app went pending. Recon had no problem approving me for a Sig, despite the already approved Plat. Call !
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:34 pm

Just started and got my first AS card in Feb, now my question is, if I apply again approx ~ 90 days later for two cards and don't get instant approval. Do the recon people have the ability to see that you have an AS card already? I know if it was 2 at once I could justify that one is personal, one business. But if I have one and they ask why two what would be a good answer. Should I cancel the first card before I try to get 2 in 1
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:45 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just raising your cl to $5 will not get you the Sig sign up bonus. You have to call Recon, have them fill out a form that petitions Customer Relations to cancel the Plat from their end, and issue a new Sig card. They will send you a letter advising you that your AF is going to increase, and will wait 6 weeks or more after that to send you a Sig card.

Only one way out of this. If you applied today, you can put in another app for the same card. You will only get one hard pull no matter how many apps you do the same day. Most likely the new app will go to pending, as they will think it's an accidental duplicate. Then call Recon and hopefully get them to approve you for a Sig card, and cancel the Plat, since you probably don't want to pay $50 AF for a mere 5K miles.
I made the stupid mistake of not calling the same day I applied.

But he said that I will receive a letter in the mail asking me to accept the higher annual fee for the Visa Sig. Doesn't that mean I should be getting the Visa Signature sign up bonus?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:47 pm

If you didn't apply today, there are two possibilites. One is to scan backwards thru this thread until you find my detailed instructions for getting Recon to replace the Plat with a Sig. Which involves some paperwork, not all CSRs may want (or know how) to do it, so you may need to 'hang up call again' until you get someone to do that for you.

Or, if you aren't worried about how many HPs you get, you could just put in 2 or 3 more apps, one right after another. At least one of those will go to pending, and you can cell Recon and hopefully get approved for a Sig. Remember, no matter how many apps you do for this exact card the same day, you will only get one HP. (Apps for other cards will get their own HPs, but multiple apps the same day for this same card will only generate one HP.)

Advice from experience: if someone suggests doing a "phone application", don't ! I tried that, went thru 30 minutes of hell with the phone app CSR, and got approved for another Plat card. If you don't get an instant approval for a Sig, you need to get another app to go to "pending", and call Recon to approve a Sig. And the phone app CSR won't do multiple apps for you.

Good Luck....
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by aceofcards
I made the stupid mistake of not calling the same day I applied.

But he said that I will receive a letter in the mail asking me to accept the higher annual fee for the Visa Sig. Doesn't that mean I should be getting the Visa Signature sign up bonus?
Yes, if they did it the right way, you will get that letter, and they then need to wait at least 6 weeks to make sure you are willing to pay that. But not all CSRs know that just upping the CL isn't enough. I'd call again and confirm that they have actually filed the petition to have the Plat replaced with a Sig. And that petition is not automatic, someone at Customer Relations has to approve it, the Recon CSRs don't have the power to do that on their own. I got a call a couple of days later from Customer Relations telling me my petition had been approved.

Just raising the CL to $5K isn't enough, and a Plat cannot be "upgraded" to a Sig and still get the Sig benefits. BTW, while this is going on, you will get the Plat in the mail. Dont let that worry you, just shread it, and wait to get the Sig card before you do any spend. But first, the call is free, and it's their job to talk with you. Call again and politely get someone to confirm that the petition has been filed.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8fingeredflyer
So....... has anyone ever had the miles land in their account prior to meeting the spend? Or even prior to receiving the card?
Meeting what spend? There is no spend required to get the 25k. The $1k spend is for $100 statement credit, not for the 25k miles. The 25k miles are upon approval.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Meeting what spend? There is no spend required to get the 25k. The $1k spend is for $100 statement credit, not for the 25k miles. The 25k miles are upon approval.
So, are you guys just getting approved for these cards, making sure the points show up in your account, and then shutting them down??? I mean not even spending a penny on them and rinse???
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raccah
So, are you guys just getting approved for these cards, making sure the points show up in your account, and then shutting them down??? I mean not even spending a penny on them and rinse???
You may not be "spending" a penny (in the sense of using the card for purchases), but you're "paying" 7500 pennies ($75 annual fee, not waived) for each 25k.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You may not be "spending" a penny (in the sense of using the card for purchases), but you're "paying" 7500 pennies ($75 annual fee, not waived) for each 25k.
So, not having done this card yet. With AA Exec I do spend money to get my 50K, because they do not show up till then, and then I cancel, not "paying" the AF. I was guessing that was the same here, if they give the miles before even the card arrives, why are u keeping the card? Do they claw back? Otherwise, the only real cost here for the 25K is the HP - no? Or do they claw back if you cancel or do not spend the 1K?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:06 pm

If you didn't apply today, there are two possibilites. One is to scan backwards thru this thread until you find my detailed instructions for getting Recon to replace the Plat with a Sig. Which involves some paperwork, not all CSRs may want (or know how) to do it, so you may need to 'hang up call again' until you get someone to do that for you.

Good Luck....
Thanks, so an update: my credit limit raise went through right away and I called back to confirm that a petition was filed and he said that he sees the case created to upgrade it to the Sig. and that standard procedure is to award the additional 20k miles. So hopefully I get it.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:12 am

I recently applied for an FIA Fidelity Amex and was given a $3k credit limit. I've never banked with or had any Bank of America relationship before. I have a few other cards from other banks with credit limits over $5k. I'm curious if my Fidelity credit limit is indicative of what I should expect with an Alaska Airlines (personal) credit card, or if waiting a few months before applying would increase my odds of getting a $5k starting limit. Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by s2k8k
I recently applied for an FIA Fidelity Amex and was given a $3k credit limit. I've never banked with or had any Bank of America relationship before. I have a few other cards from other banks with credit limits over $5k. I'm curious if my Fidelity credit limit is indicative of what I should expect with an Alaska Airlines (personal) credit card, or if waiting a few months before applying would increase my odds of getting a $5k starting limit. Thanks!
Yeah, that's not a good sign. Your credit limit will be mostly driven by your other credit limits, until you hit your exposure limit at a bank.

I'd call and speak with an underwriter to match the credit limit of your Fidelity Amex to your highest credit limit, but only if your utilization for both your Fidelity Amex and your overall utilization rate is under 20%. Preferably under 10%. Ideally 1%. After your Fidelity Amex is reporting to all three bureaus with the new credit limit, I'd apply for the Alaska card.

I've got a hunch that people who are not getting Visa Signature Alaska cards don't have at least three open and reporting credit cards, each with at least $10K limits. I could be completely wrong. It might be helpful if some people could chime in who didn't get the signature card.

What was your third highest credit limit at the time?
What was your total exposure with BoA/FIA cards?
What was your overall utilization rate?

Last edited by NYCRuss; Mar 24, 2015 at 7:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.