Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:27 am

2 Personal 1 Business

To add another data point- I did the 2BM method on Sunday and went ahead with the business application directly after. All three cards went into pending status. Called Spanish line yesterday they said the cards were already approved (17.5k each as signature) Called today to inquire about business card - approved at 6k - he didn't specify signature or not. Though i haven't seen any literature to say there is even a different version of the business card.
Checking my credit report I show 1 hit on my Experian for BOA - and 1 hit on Equifax for FIA/CS.
BOA used to always pull from Transunion for me and now that isn't so. I don't have anymore pulling from TU anymore except Barclays.
I should have done the 6BM method with all the credit they gave me. Joking but if they will give people 2 and 3 why not 5 or 6?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by MrEmpire
To add another data point- I did the 2BM method on Sunday and went ahead with the business application directly after. All three cards went into pending status. Called Spanish line yesterday they said the cards were already approved (17.5k each as signature) Called today to inquire about business card - approved at 6k - he didn't specify signature or not. Though i haven't seen any literature to say there is even a different version of the business card.
Checking my credit report I show 1 hit on my Experian for BOA - and 1 hit on Equifax for FIA/CS.
BOA used to always pull from Transunion for me and now that isn't so. I don't have anymore pulling from TU anymore except Barclays.
I should have done the 6BM method with all the credit they gave me. Joking but if they will give people 2 and 3 why not 5 or 6?
Congrats. 5 or 6 would be hilarious.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:06 am

Question for the churners. Was approved for two a couple months ago, initial witha $16K line that i split between the second one to get approved (8k on each). I have one other travel rewards visa i don't use with a 5K line i've had with them for maybe 3 years.

If I want to get another 2-3 at once, should i cancel the two cards I got a couple months ago to free up the CL?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
If I want to get another 2-3 at once, should i cancel the two cards I got a couple months ago to free up the CL?
Interesting question for sure. Having just gotten 2 cards, one of which is still in transition from Plat to Sig limbo, and wanting to get eleventy-seven more I'm wondering about how long to wait, and whether to close or not.

I know folks have posted that getting a second card with one still open didn't seem to make any difference. But how about getting a 3rd and 4th, with 1 and 2 still open? Or 1 and 2 recently closed? Anyone have any data points on this? Because I need another card to have enough miles for the award flight I'm working towards.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Interesting question for sure. Having just gotten 2 cards, one of which is still in transition from Plat to Sig limbo, and wanting to get eleventy-seven more I'm wondering about how long to wait, and whether to close or not.

I know folks have posted that getting a second card with one still open didn't seem to make any difference. But how about getting a 3rd and 4th, with 1 and 2 still open? Or 1 and 2 recently closed? Anyone have any data points on this? Because I need another card to have enough miles for the award flight I'm working towards.
Check this post : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23902744-post1015.html
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Does anyone here want to maintain more than 1 alaska airlines account? It seems like I can't sign up for a 2nd one. They seem to check for name and dob.
I guess not providing the number when applying for the card will create a new MileagePlan number, but can you actually sign up for a 2nd MileagePlan number on the website? Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
thanks for posting. Good data point.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
^ +

Apparently my strategy of closing before reapplying is exactly the wrong way to go with B of A. Who knew?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I had a personal and a business that I opened in early January. Once the points and $100 credit posted, I cancelled both of them (personal last week and business yesterday).

I submitted 2 applications for the personal card today and both went to review. I called the credit analyst line (888-503-6092) and they asked if they were duplicates. The rep also saw the 3rd app that I had in January. I responded they were not duplicates, and after a brief hold, was approved for 2 cards at 10K limit each.

Hope that helps
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Again, congrats on the successful 3BM.

Please do post back on the FICO source shown on the paperwork that should arrive eventually. This way we have more data point to know if a second pull to TU is again generated like in the past or there is none.

TIA.
Today I received the approval letters for the 2 cards approved through recon, and they both used the original Experian pull as the source.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently my strategy of closing before reapplying is exactly the wrong way to go with B of A. Who knew?
Well, that also can be the wrong strategy with Citi too. So it's not like BofA is the only bank at which you might want to close the old after opening the new rather than vice versa.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joey78
Today I received the approval letters for the 2 cards approved through recon, and they both used the original Experian pull as the source.
Thanks for the data point. Hopefully we can see more of such data when more people are using multiple browsers method.

It also looks like BofA are getting looser to approve cards. With the measly sign up bonus and fee not waived, they need some other enticements to get customers. If one can get 2 or 3 cards at the same time with the pulls all combined, it would essentially have a compatible bonus. The $100 statement credit essentially offsets the annual fee for the first year. Somewhat of a convoluted way to make it a more competitive product.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by chongl
I had a personal and a business that I opened in early January. Once the points and $100 credit posted, I cancelled both of them (personal last week and business yesterday).

I submitted 2 applications for the personal card today and both went to review. I called the credit analyst line (888-503-6092) and they asked if they were duplicates. The rep also saw the 3rd app that I had in January. I responded they were not duplicates, and after a brief hold, was approved for 2 cards at 10K limit each.

Hope that helps
It certainly does. Here I had been waiting something like 3 months between apps out of fear of Recon saying "but you just closed this card, and you only had it open for a month". Clearly not a reality based concern, but who knew? Anyway, now we all know, so thanks for that. ^
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, that also can be the wrong strategy with Citi too. So it's not like BofA is the only bank at which you might want to close the old after opening the new rather than vice versa.
How so? My DW just got her 7th EXEC, and some folks on the EXEC thread are already on #10. We all just get the card, meet the spend, wait just the 2 days past the first statement for the miles to post to AA, and then cancel to avoid the AF. I haven't seen a single data point of early canceling of cards with Citi being a problem getting approved for new Citi cards.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How so? My DW just got her 7th EXEC, and some folks on the EXEC thread are already on #10. We all just get the card, meet the spend, wait just the 2 days past the first statement for the miles to post to AA, and then cancel to avoid the AF. I haven't seen a single data point of early canceling of cards with Citi being a problem getting approved for new Citi cards.
It's not a problem in every case, but it is a problem in two cases:

One, if you close a card with a high credit limit, the credit limit can historically take 3 to 6 months to come back into your "pool" of CL. If you then apply for a new card, and they can't approve you with sufficient CL, you're out of luck. (Even if they approve you for the card, it might be too low a CL to do the minimum spend with going through the extra effort of paying off multiple times a month.) If you had waited to cancel until after applying for the new card, you could have pulled CL from the old card to the new card, and then cancelled right afterward (on a separate call or secure message).

Two, the new AA Plat card links state that you have an 18 month wait from open or cancel. So if you cancel right before applying, you might be rejected on the basis of not having waited 18 months since cancelling. But if you wait to cancel until right after applying, then your 18 month wait from last open will be essentially the same (within days) of your 18 month wait since your last close.

I have no idea whether either of these is common with Exec. But these are commonly-dicussed issues with non-Exec Citi AA cards, as well as at least the first issue applying to any other AA cards, such as 50k HH.

Exec cards are unique in that you want to cancel as soon as possible because of the unwaivable AF. With AA Plat cards, on the other hand (with rarely any effective AF), many people want the card's AA benefits, so they want to hang on to it for a while, until they're about at the time of applying for another one. It's at that point that closing before opening a new one can hurt you.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 11, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.