Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
As an additional resource for these cards see this thread: Alaska Airlines Visa

PERSONAL CARDS
30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/
+2k miles if done with onboard paper application

30k mile offer with $100 credit and fee for companion ticket waived the first year, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4020594
link no longer working

30k mile offer with $100 credit, $75 AF, $1k spend: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/app...aignid=4009277
link no longer working

If you are applying for a personal Alaska card, and are not an expert on applying for Alaska cards STOP, don't apply yet.
Instead, read this post. Doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

A few people in the Alaska Airlines forum have in the past received personally targeted, single-use links for a 50k offer
when they opt-in to "Partner Offers" in their Mileage Plan account preferences.

=======================================

BUSINESS CARDS

30k mile offer, $75 AF, $1k spend, no foreign transaction fees:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-card//

Note: There are two different earning formats for the business card, which you choose when you apply:
  • $50 per company, $25 per card (Business Level Earning Plan)
    • $0 per company, $75 per card (Individual Level Earning Plan)

To avoid billing confusion later, make sure you choose the Individual Level Earning Plan if you are not going to have employee cards under the same account as your account.

Also see the Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated] thread (not-BofA-specific) for general tips on applying for business cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconsideration # (for personal cards):

1-800-354-0401 (8am-7pm ET Mon-Fri) direct, referring agent from another BofA line called it their "credit department"

1-866-811-4108 from the Alaska Airlines Visa thread post 949

Business card Recon Line:
866-695-6598 (8-7 EST M-F from what I was told)

Biz card status line: 888 663 6262
Biz Card credit analyst line: 877 665 5022, 877 665 5023 (seems to be non-working number)

Check application status online here:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...status-form.go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit Enquiries for Personal cards come from BofA. Enquiries for business cards come from FIA. Credit bureaus usually merge enquiries from the same requester made on the same day. Enquiries from BofA and FIA will not be merged.

When do the initial bonus miles post? You will get the miles after the statement closes for the cycle in which you meet your minimum spend. Usually AS points show up the Sunday evening after your statement closes, but sometimes it takes an additional week.

If there's a statement credit, when does it post?
It seems to be batch-processed. It will post automatically. Can be on the same statement or the next statement. It does not appear to be based on the statement close date.
.................................................. .................
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
I hear you. We leave on Wednesday for Singapore, going Suites Class 3 days there, then using Avios for Cathay Bus Class to Bkk. 5 days later CX J again to Hong Kong. After 3 days there, CX J to NRT, where we change to one of those mythical AA 777 Saver FC flights to LAX. No idea how in the world I managed to score that AA flight, especially that worked in connection with the SQ flight, but somehow I did.

First trip to Asia, and already had next Summer booked AA FC TATl, and LH FC back, when I booked this, so fairly short for such long flights, but once having done that I'm sure next time we'll make it longer.

If you don't see much posting from me for the next two weeks or so, that's why.
OT

Sounds like a great trip ahead of you. So you do not have days planned in Japan? The Yen has gone down so much now Japan is literally much cheaper than in either Singapore or Hong Kong which remains the most expensive. In Singapore, the foods in the small food courts inside office building actually are tastier and cheaper than the touristy hawker stands. Do visit the food court in the shopping center next to the Sands hotel - lots of the employees and locals eat there. Dont be bothered with the set up outside Marine Bay - that is for tourists.

BKK can be overwhelming if this is your first trip to Asia. Should have 5 days in HKG also. But there is always next time.

We are leaving a day earlier than you. Leaving on Tuesday to South Africa for 2 weeks then Turkey for another 2 weeks. All on a single US J award at a bargain 110K, QR and IB. Also booked a 12 days TATL cruise on Allure sailing in April FLL to BCN. After 10 days in Europe, use an AS CX J award FRA-HKG. Open end after that - could do a side trip or 2, to China or to Australia, before figuring out how to return home here.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
In Singapore, the foods in the small food courts inside office building actually are tastier and cheaper than the touristy hawker stands. Do visit the food court in the shopping center next to the Sands hotel - lots of the employees and locals eat there. Dont be bothered with the set up outside Marine Bay - that is for tourists.

BKK can be overwhelming if this is your first trip to Asia. Should have 5 days in HKG also. But there is always next time.
Hmnn... I looked up Japan when I booked, and the high speed train from Tokyo to Kyoto was something like $250 each way per person, assuming you didn't book a seat, which was much worse. $1K just for 2 days travel w/out a res seemed a little high. And the hotels wouldn't even guarantee you a non-smoking room.

Maybe next time....

Thanks for the tip on the food courts, since the Hawker stands seem like "so 1990's".

I understand the comment on BKK being "overwhelming". I'm overwhelmed, and I haven't even been there yet.

Last edited by Brugge; Feb 14, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
We are leaving a day earlier than you. Leaving on Tuesday to South Africa for 2 weeks then Turkey for another 2 weeks. All on a single US J award at a bargain 110K, QR and IB. Also booked a 12 days TATL cruise on Allure sailing in April FLL to BCN. After 10 days in Europe, use an AS CX J award FRA-HKG. Open end after that - could do a side trip or 2, to China or to Australia, before figuring out how to return home here.
Whenever I read your posts on how you are getting and using your miles and points, I feel like such a nooby wannabe. Especially the part about "before figuring out how to return home".

Which is actually fine, since it's inspiring me to up my game.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Just applied for one on the standard 25k offers. The link was from my Alaska account profile, and it's been ages since I got a new card from them. I canceled my one Alaska card about 2 months ago as well.

I got a "reviewing app" status and not the instant approval I wanted. Advice? Should I call or just wait this one out and hope it's approved?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmnn... I looked up Japan when I booked, and the high speed train from Tokyo to Kyoto was something like $250 each way per person, assuming you didn't book a seat, which was much worse. $1K just for 2 days travel w/out a res seemed a little high. And the hotels wouldn't even guarantee you a non-smoking room.

Maybe next time....

Thanks for the tip on the food courts, since the Hawker stands seem like "so 1990's".

I understand the comment on BKK being "overwhelming". I'm overwhelmed, and I haven't even been there yet.
You need to reseach JR pass for Japan rail travel - that must be purchased OUTSIDE JAPAN. Only available to visitors. There are national and regional version.

Besides not sure where you look, but Japan-guide.com is where you should go first for your research. You get very very useful and practical info in a very organized and very user friendly manner.

Always email the hotel ahead of time to make your request. Most would respond back positively. If a hotel does not respond your email, you may be better off NOT to stay there as this is a good indicator on the customer service.

BKK is chaotic, dirty and extremely crowded without order when taking the ferries along the river to the tourist attractions. It can be really daunting when you are in the midst of the crowd. Just avoid to leave at the peak hours.
The city center has a very nice mall complex with malls connected by skywalks basically cover 2 skytrain stations. Just walk instead of taking the skytrain. We actually walked from Conrad on each opposite direction - one a bit longer than the other - and eventually converge to the Central.

One can also walk to the River Side along very busy main streets that are more local flavor.

For first timer, SIN and HKG are much easier to accept and navigate than BKK. Though BKK is a lot cheaper. If you are into shopping, buy at BKK as the other 2 cities would set you back a lot more moola. Another cheap SE Asia location is KUL.

HKG is still very cold in Feb. There is influenza problem right now and already have a couple hundred death cases mainly elderly and children. Try not to touch door knobs, elevator rails etc. Looks like you would be there right after Chinese New Year? Miss the firework...

Have a great trip!

Whenever I read your posts on how you are getting and using your miles and points, I feel like such a nooby wannabe. Especially the part about "before figuring out how to return home".

Which is actually fine, since it's inspiring me to up my game.
Currently the only way to go home (using AA miles as I still want to be in either CX or JL, J or F) is to use TYO. Dont mind to spend a few days there but the only way currently is via NRT-SAN and SAN to either FLL or MIA is a PITA. Since CX seems still maintain its pattern of releasing sears 2 weeks prior departure, we decide to take a gamble. I would revisit this issue when we return home in Mid March on current trip and see what are available then. I also really want to see the Illumination Festival in Sydney again. (We accidentally bumped at it in 2009 on its first year - designed to boost tourism in winter months. Now it has grown into a major festival. Google the images you will understand why.)

AS CX chart is very attractive for HKG-Australia. Even UA has a reasonable chart. The only thing is if we do this, it would make the trip longer than we prefer (like 45+ days that we used to do annually a few years ago but since revolved to 30+ days but more trips a year.)

Our current Chinese visas that costed us $440 to obtain also expire in August.
Therefore these options makes an open end at HKG more desirable as of now.

One way to learn about the high value redemption and out of box routing is to read the reward redemption threads in each forum, as well as the Trip Reports in the Travel community on FT. You will learn a lot of things from what others have achieved.

Now back to the thread's mission - AS cards!

Last edited by Happy; Feb 15, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
Just applied for one on the standard 25k offers. The link was from my Alaska account profile, and it's been ages since I got a new card from them. I canceled my one Alaska card about 2 months ago as well.

I got a "reviewing app" status and not the instant approval I wanted. Advice? Should I call or just wait this one out and hope it's approved?
The recon depts close on weekends. There are enough discussions on the merit of calling versus waiting already. Read back and make your own decision based on the recent detailed discussion.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:02 pm

Absolutely call. If they approve you for a Plat card, with only a 5K bonus, it can't be upgraded, it has to go thru a 6 week process to change it. Assuming you can get a CSR who will do that for you. Call and let the CSR know you absolutely want a Sig card before they approve you for something lesser.

Last edited by Brugge; Feb 15, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:59 pm

Absolutely call. If they approve you for a Plat card, with only a 5K bonus, it can't be upgraded, it has to go thru a 6 week process to change it. Assuming you can get a CSR who will do that for you. Call and let the CSR know you absolutely want a Sig card before they approve you for something lesser.
I've never dealt with the CSRs for an Alaska card before - I wonder what they will tell me when I call (since I got the "in review" message), and how nice (or not) they are...
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:18 pm

I've never dealt with the CSRs for an Alaska card before - I wonder what they will tell me when I call (since I got the "in review" message), and how nice (or not) they are...
Their job is to sit and wait for you to call. Help keep them busy so B of A doesn't lay them off.

Their job is also to approve everyone they can. Within bank guidelines, of course, because Marketing spends a lot of money to promote these cards. And someone senior to them is getting bonuses for how successful that marketing turns out.

Both the Senor on the Spanish line that I called first, and the woman on the English line that I called next, were very nice. Although in my case the English CSR was much more helpful.

Bear in mind that I applied for two identical cards just seconds apart, and no one even asked me why. If they do ask, the correct answer is that you want one for personal spend, and one for business reimbursement, or tax deduction, purposes.

They will almost certainly be very nice, but if you get someone who doesn't seem to be nice, just say "Fed EX is at the door, needing a signature, I'll have to call you back". Then hang up, wait a minute for that CSR to move on to the next caller, then call right back ( just like you said you would) and talk to someone else.

Keep reminding yourself, their job is to bring in new clients, not to scare business away.

Keep Calm and Churn On...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:56 pm

I cancelled my personal and biz a month ago. When I applied for a personal, I got "pending". Now I got a letter saying "Our records indicate this was a duplicate request". I suppose I should have waited longer than a month before reapplying. Or maybe they figured out what I was doing...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
I cancelled my personal and biz a month ago. When I applied for a personal, I got "pending". Now I got a letter saying "Our records indicate this was a duplicate request". I suppose I should have waited longer than a month before reapplying. Or maybe they figured out what I was doing...
Call and tell them no, it's not a duplicate. Several of us have gotten 3 cards approved the same day, but only by calling in on the pending apps. No data points that I'm aware of that B of A is cracking down on churning.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Here is my data point...
Applied for two personal cards last night, and none got instant approval.
Was wondering if I should call or wait, but decided to be safe and called. The rep saw two applications, asked me about them, and I said one was for personal and another one for business.
Moved credit line from another card, and both cards were approved right on the phone.
Also got approved for another Citi card today. A good day indeed.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:43 pm

Their job is to sit and wait for you to call. Help keep them busy so B of A doesn't lay them off.

Their job is also to approve everyone they can. Within bank guidelines, of course, because Marketing spends a lot of money to promote these cards. And someone senior to them is getting bonuses for how successful that marketing turns out.

Both the Senor on the Spanish line that I called first, and the woman on the English line that I called next, were very nice. Although in my case the English CSR was much more helpful.

Bear in mind that I applied for two identical cards just seconds apart, and no one even asked me why. If they do ask, the correct answer is that you want one for personal spend, and one for business reimbursement, or tax deduction, purposes.

They will almost certainly be very nice, but if you get someone who doesn't seem to be nice, just say "Fed EX is at the door, needing a signature, I'll have to call you back". Then hang up, wait a minute for that CSR to move on to the next caller, then call right back ( just like you said you would) and talk to someone else.

Keep reminding yourself, their job is to bring in new clients, not to scare business away.

Keep Calm and Churn On...
Finally got around to calling... turns out I was approved yesterday for the signature card (and 25k miles), thanks everyone!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Yeah, I agree with everything you said here. And I'm starting to think my excessive interest in EXEC cards, given the dearth of AA Premium Saver awards lately, is misplaced. A single R/T FC TATL award on AA metal at Anytime costs 5 to 6 EXEC sign up bonus miles. On some dates, even more than that.
Brugge! I'm surprised to hear you say this! I see your posts a lot on the Citi AA Exec thread, and I'd think that someone as competent as you with the churning would also be an expert at using AA miles!

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but why are you searching for AA metal awards? I'm a fellow heavy churner of the Citi Exec, and the only time I've flown AA metal is on an off-peak award to Europe in Y to avoid BA's fuel surcharges. 90% of the miles I redeem are for partner awards, i.e. FJ or TN to South Pacific, CX and JL to/from Asia.

And South Pacific-Asia 2 is only 35k in J, so my partner and I love circle trips where we head first to South Pacific, then to Singapore, then back to the US all in J or F, and all on partners for ~160K each. Only 3 bonuses! I would never redeem AA metal TPAC because CX and JL are so good. Please stop booking AAnytime ripoffs!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by AwardBee
Brugge! I'm surprised to hear you say this! I see your posts a lot on the Citi AA Exec thread, and I'd think that someone as competent as you with the churning would also be an expert at using AA miles!

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but why are you searching for AA metal awards? I'm a fellow heavy churner of the Citi Exec, and the only time I've flown AA metal is on an off-peak award to Europe in Y to avoid BA's fuel surcharges. 90% of the miles I redeem are for partner awards, i.e. FJ or TN to South Pacific, CX and JL to/from Asia.

And South Pacific-Asia 2 is only 35k in J, so my partner and I love circle trips where we head first to South Pacific, then to Singapore, then back to the US all in J or F, and all on partners for ~160K each. Only 3 bonuses! I would never redeem AA metal TPAC because CX and JL are so good. Please stop booking AAnytime ripoffs!
CX first class must be nice. Any tips / links on redeeming AA miles to Asia / Sout East Asia / Australia?

I've found I can get pretty good deals flying AA metal or at least boooking on AA.com to Europe / Sout America with SAAver Awards. I've never made a booking with AA miles ouside aa.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.